HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    IN...because page three n stuff.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    i dont like all the muscle tone on women

that is not feminine to me

I will stick with my cardio, swimming, and hiking

no thanks to the muscle look

Why the body shaming? why would slightly muscular physique not be feminine, they still have breasts and a vagina, that is feminine regardless of the BF%.

You should have stopped at "i dont like all the muscle tone on women" that is fine, we are all entitled to our opinion, but adding "that is not feminine to me" is body shaming.

question do you find "obese" women feminine? or is there only one body type you think is?

Andy FYI: lifting heavy with no cardio will not make you bulky or ripped, that comes down to bf% which takes a caloric deficit and time, has nothing to do with lifting, other than you will have a lower bf% at every weight during your weight loss, could result in your goal weight being higher than if you only did cardio, as you would have the same bf% so no "toned" look either way.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Good for you *pats on head* go on with your skinny, fluffy self.

I've been lifting for 6 weeks now, hoping to post here soon (when i get the courage to do so)

Yay for supah bulky women !!:drinker:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Been lifting for 5 months! Wish I would have started with that, from the get go, while trying to lose the baby weight. LOVE LOVE the feeling of weight training and please, I challenge you to just TRY and get big ;) Everyone looks so fantastic, happy and healthy!!! Keep up the awesome work!!! Strong is the new sexy ;)

motivation17-1.jpg

motivation20.jpg

_DSC0104b.jpg

_DSC0107b-1.jpg
    You look just amazing! What an inspiration. :flowerforyou:
    Thanks Lady! YOU inspire me as well!

God only knows just how old this thread is, but IDC! I think I'm in love!!! :love: Been lifting weights for some time now. I'm getting there, but not there yet! This gives me so much inspiration to keep going, and remind me why I'm doing this, and letting me know that it is possible! Not just this pic, but OP's pic too!!! :happy: Yay!!! You ladies look AMAZING!!! :drinker:
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Fantastic. Lifting is very important. It's what sculpts, and tones. Core work is the best.
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Bump for the motivation! You ladies look awesome!! :love:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    its_alive1.gif
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    great job ladies!!!
  • i dont like all the muscle tone on women

that is not feminine to me

I will stick with my cardio, swimming, and hiking

no thanks to the muscle look

Why the body shaming? why would slightly muscular physique not be feminine, they still have breasts and a vagina, that is feminine regardless of the BF%.

You should have stopped at "i dont like all the muscle tone on women" that is fine, we are all entitled to our opinion, but adding "that is not feminine to me" is body shaming.

question do you find "obese" women feminine? or is there only one body type you think is?

Andy FYI: lifting heavy with no cardio will not make you bulky or ripped, that comes down to bf% which takes a caloric deficit and time, has nothing to do with lifting, other than you will have a lower bf% at every weight during your weight loss, could result in your goal weight being higher than if you only did cardio, as you would have the same bf% so no "toned" look either way.

Not body shaming just not my preference to build and be muscley. Personally I do not find obese people attractive. Sorry.

I KNOW because I dont have testosterone that I can not truly bulk and I know that muscle replaced with fat is ideal. However, I do not want bulging clearly defined abs or biceps.

I like my lean look that comes from cardio and yoga.

Just because I dont like the look of muscles and am not feeling inspired to lift does not mean i am body shaming. All the women look great, just not the look i am going for or would like to have is all.

Sorry it is just my opinion.

well...this is a LIFTING thread...just sayin'.....so it's the cardio and yoga giving you the lean look eh? I thought eating at a deficit had something to do with it...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    "The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute suggests that sedentary women weighing less than 165 pounds generally need 1,000 to 1,200 calories daily to effectively lose weight"
    via http://livehealthy.chron.com/sedentary-lifestyle-calorie-intake-3186.html

This is garbage. A 40-year-old woman who is 5'2 and weighs 135 lbs has a BMR that is higher than 1200. Do you know what BMR is? Do you know what it means? If you think there is anything reasonable about the recommendation to which you linked, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer to both of those questions is a big fat "no."

K now I am going to be mean, actually down right mean, not the "MFP Mean" where I say weigh your food

The Poster who says crossfit and 1200 calories made her bulky so she had to stop

GET OFF THIS THREAD

This thread is to celebrate woman who got their results from lifting heavy not to misinform people with inane misinformation that has no relevance to the actual discussion here...it's called baiting, trolling and hijacking a thread...now begone with your "bulky" self while the rest of us celebrate our hard earned curves.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

Here is where people go wrong, and I will probably step on some toes here:

If you are 5'2", then you probably don't want to weigh 135 lbs. that is just a barely normal BMI, and with the new BMI calculator, it would be overweight.

A healthy SLIM weight for someone 5'2" will probably be under 125 ( I am 5'2" and have weighed from 105 lbs as a teen to 156 lbs at my heaviest. I don't start looking good until I am under 130, and I am not happy until 125). So many of you taller folks just can't get your mind around the fact that small folks can't weigh as much as larger. At around 110, I still had curves. . .

Anyway, a BMR of a 125 lb 5'2" 40 something woman is pretty darn near 1200.

Also the woman who started this whole little conversation says she ate more when lifting. Which is appropriate.

So before you jump on someone at least get your facts straight.

The research I am doing (online of course, so it has about as much credibility as this site does), says that for certain body types and certain hormonal situations, lifting can increase bulk. This seems to be in the minority, but some research does indicate this.

Personally I like to follow a circuit training regimen which includes a bit of cardio and is very fast moving. During the lifting portion, I use the heaviest weights possible, and increase as I continue to get stronger. I also do a couple of cardio only workouts a week. (I love running, biking, and swimming). It is working.

So yes, I totally support women lifting. I just get tired of seeing smaller women jumped on in the forums because they appropriately eat less than larger women.

Some of you beautiful tall girls probably have more lean body mass than we petite girls have total body weight!

Probably can't post my current "in progress" pic and I didn't take a before, but I will try. The profile picture is me, if you want to look with a magnifying glass, and my in progress is on my profile.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I would argue with that last post, but that would be like beating a dead horse. All I will say is that I am 5'3". I lift, I do cardio, and I eat 1,700-2,000 cal's a day to lose weight. I have a bodymedia, so I know exactly what I burn every day. My intake depends on my activity level. ;) Peace. I'm outtie.

....oh, also, sometimes I eat more than 2,000. :D
  • ET delete everything I said because people are stupid and I don't even feel like arguing :laugh:
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    bump
  • fiaria
    fiaria Posts: 18
    Wow! You all look so great, it's inspired me to look into lifting! I hadn't thought that I would really start lifting myself, but this thread has made me want to get started! Keep up the great work :)
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    bump
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    I don't take my photos again until the 15th of January so I don't have pics to post as of right now. I do, however, have some numbers.

From Oct 15th to Dec 15th I have been lifting heavy (well, heavier than normal) and have added a great deal of strength and I have lost a total of 9.2lbs. More importantly, I have lost 14.5 inches in that same time period.

I've lost more weight and inches I'm sure but I don't take pics and measure again until the 15th of January.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting smaller, not bigger. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LeboMatho
    LeboMatho Posts: 16 Member
    Bump to put up pics later....you ladies rock!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I would argue with that last post, but that would be like beating a dead horse. All I will say is that I am 5'3". I lift, I do cardio, and I eat 1,700-2,000 cal's a day to lose weight. I have a bodymedia, so I know exactly what I burn every day. My intake depends on my activity level. ;) Peace. I'm outtie.

....oh, also, sometimes I eat more than 2,000. :D

5'3, losing on 1850. And my goal is 135-130.

Madness, amirite?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    i just started the lifting program detailed in Michael Mathews "Thinner Leaner Stronger" ....i have a lot of weight to lose (65lbs) and decided to try something new ....my question is this : i'm pretty good at logging my food and staying under my calorie goals -yes , i eat my exercise calories back , normally its in the form of something sweet that fits into the calories for the day ....will i bulk up on top of my fat if i don't eat "cleaner" ??

No u wont. lifting in a caloric deficit will help u retain the muscle u already have. You will get stronger and be a lower bf% during your weight loss by lifting.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!