God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We don't really buy what you called fast food from a take out place. We make it ourselves. I keep a snack in the glove box of my car so I am never caught short.

Good idea. Protein or meal replacement bars are good to have on hand. The issue with me would be finding one I actually enjoy eating.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I don't avoid it because it's bad for me. I avoid it because it's gross.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I rarely get fast food - partly because I'm a cheapo and partly because my "meal planning" for work days or work/clinical days involves lots of protein bars and pre packaged food haha.

When I do I LOVE taco bell. My favorite is the grilled stuft burrito but I only get that when I'm drunk as it's the size of my head I think. Otherwise, I get two items from the Fresca menu and call it a day!

I have the odd craving once in a while for a McDonalds burger (comfort, maybe?) and have no problem getting a McDouble or another burger for under 400 calories. I usually skip the fries.

If I'm feeling crazy I might go to Culver's for a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo or a highly modified salad that doesn't have a million nuts, high cal dressing, or tons of cheese and bacon.

Honestly, if I could do so reasonably, I would love to eat at Sonic and Taco Bell every day, every meal....
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If I am in a pinch I just get something that's low in calories... I don't think having a happy meal is going to kill me... plus, everything can give you cancer...lol!

It's life... live it!!

Just eat what you want... log the calories and stay on track. Unfortunately a Big Mac doesn't really allow for much else all day; but if you want it...and you have the calories... and you're willing to stay on track the rest of the day... go ahead!

Most people quit because decisions like these eventually become so overwhelming that it's easier just to quit... Don't give up... it's ok to have a cheeseburger occasionally. IT'S ALL ABOUT MODERATION. :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food several times a week.

I eat more than 400 calories per meal.
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    especially when I'm a week from payday and have $10 to my name :laugh:

Amen!!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell- either a quesadilla or 2 taco supremes.. the cool ranch ones are delicious!
    Wendy's-spicy chicken sandwich meal
    McDonalds(very rare, too many calories and I'm not going to a drive thru for a salad)-double cheeseburger small fry. If I'm not getting food there, their frozen strawberry lemonade is delicious!!

I eat fast food usually 1-2 times a week every week.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's, Chipotle, or Juice Stop are my go-to quick meals. It's not that I think fast food or burgers are bad for you, I just have other preferences. Unless we're talking breakfast, and then you can have my sausage & egg mcmuffin when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.
  • missyont
    Options
    It is avoidable if you pack snacks and meals to bring places with you. You can also try your best to choose the healthies "fast food" options.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food several times a week.

I eat more than 400 calories per meal.

This and this.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

For me I stick to three places: Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, or Subway. At Wendy's I normally get a half salad and if its cold out I will get a small chili and a side salad. Chick-fil-A is a normally the chicken noodle soup and a side salad or fruit. Subway is a veggie sub on wheat with the fat free sweet onion sauce. All ring in at under 400 cal per meal.

I didn't have time to pack my lunch today so I was forced to go to a drive thru. I figured this would be a good post to help some people out who are stuck in a bind and have to settle for fast food.

Um, I don't try and avoid fast food-why would I? I enjoy eating out so I go 3-4 times a week. I go everywhere-Mcds, BK, Arbys, Steak n Shake, Culvers, pizza places etc. I usually get burgers/sandwiches and fries. Though if we go to Culvers I love getting their amazing cheese curds :love:
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can choose pretty easily from Subway, Chipotle & Taco Bell, depending on my mood.

Subway: I get a $5 footlong that I split into 2 meals. Typically I get Flatbread w/Turkey, Black Forest Ham, Provolone, Spinach (LOTS), Cucumbers, Red Onions - 330 calories (i'm a plain jane and don't like sauce on my sandwiches, but if I'm really needing a good punch of flavor, i always keep some kraft fat free zesty italian anything dressing at the office & at home so I can add a bit to the sandwich - generally only about 10-15 calories worth and it's delicious!)

Taco Bell: If I'm not too hungry, I can do 2 hard shelled beef taco frescos for a total of 300 calories.

Chipotle: I only eat half of my burrito bowl at a time, which is what really makes this fit into my daily goals easily. Today I splurged by adding guacamole, so I got the following: Burrito Bowl w/White Rice, Black Beans, Chicken, Cheese, Guacamole, Green Tomatillo Salsa - 373 calories (and a good bit less if you skip the Guac)

KFC: Can be done for an acceptable number of calories, especially for dinner where I tend to eat a good bit more calories than at lunch (like the above options). I generally get the extra crispy dark meat 2 piece meal (thigh & drumstick). If I have room and/or feel the need to splurge a bit, I'll eat the biscuit (though that tiny biscuit packs in 180 calories, so sometimes i do, sometimes I don't). I give the sides to my husband who eats like he's still a growing teenager lol. Including the biscuit & 2 pieces of chicken, you're looking at 710 calories. 530 calories without the biscuit.

As with all fast food, if you happen to be watching your sodium (I am), then you'll want to try to eat less sodium the rest of the day and/or drink some extra water to flush it out. I love me some sodium, so I tend to just drink my face off :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hit subway most friday nights, and get a "cheat" salad. :p

I've sworn off taco bell due to multiple food poisoning issues ("fool me once, shame on you, fool me three times, shame on me!"), but I wouldn't be opposed to "having" to get hardees, culvers, panda express, sbarro, mcdonalds, kfc, jack in the box,qdoba. and, depending on my mood/hunger/alignment of the planets, I'll get foods ranging from "healthy....er" to "oh, well, we only live once, right?"

it passes for food every once in a while, but I'm so glad I don't live off of it like I used to. :)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Checkers FRIES

The only fast food I've had in months and sooo WORTH IT!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I choose fast food it's usually Wendy's Chili, its good, filling and easy on the calorie counts. A large cup is only 270 calories with 19g protein.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-a is the only option.

Everything else is gross and will eventually give you cancer.

Oh please. What a ridiculous statement. I know people who eat perfectly and still get cancer.

You read it wrong man. Chick-fil-a is so awesome it prevents cancer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating out so I do 3-4 times a week :cry:

Giggity. :laugh:
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We don't really buy what you called fast food from a take out place. We make it ourselves. I keep a snack in the glove box of my car so I am never caught short.

Good idea. Protein or meal replacement bars are good to have on hand. The issue with me would be finding one I actually enjoy eating.

You NEED to try Quest bars!!! I'm obsessed!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I haven't had fast food in nearly 4 years (other than the very occasional salad from Chipotle, which doesn't really count, IMO), so it is not unavoidable. However, there is no reason not to go to fast food restaurants and get REAL fast food while you're there, as opposed to salads and soups. I honestly admire people who do this on a regular basis and still manage to achieve their goals. That's a big part of the reason why I now believe that there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy food. There are healthy and unhealthy lifestyles.