Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If I hadn't just eaten a mountain of pork I'd probably be walking over to Subway right now.

I might just go get some Pop-Tarts from the shop downstairs instead.

I was going to Taco Bell for lunch but after reading through this thread I decided to hit up Subway instead-just got back with my 12" sub :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Wow - So much hatred spewed out over all this! You people just LOVE telling someone they are an IDIOT don't you? What a lovely COMMUNITY we've become! 2 Years ago, I didn't see very much of this negativity here. MFP has grown up to be Facebook!

Now, on to my rebuttal to everyone who thinks I'm just a moron for posting an article like this!

I guess Im just disappointed that they use so many preservatives and artificial stuff (in bread they bake right in the store) and feel the need to add so many chemicals.

I fully knew that the meats and cheeses were processed and full of crap! But to put artificial colors in pickles or other chemicals in olives? Why? It's not needed?

How is this any different from any other fast food restaurant? I don't understand why you would be so shocked to find out that Subway is using preservatives to preserve their food…

I like how you say that there is "hatred" being spewed, but you chose to title your thread "Evil Subway"….who is spewing hatred more; a few people having fun with an overtly obvious article about chemicals being in Subway food; or the person that titles a thread "evil subway"….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Did anybody really think Subway was a great healthy option?

It is! :)

i will second that
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Did anybody really think Subway was a great healthy option?

If you build your sandwich right and have a glimmering of an understanding of what your body needs, it is.

Couple portions of veggies, some protein, a well structured transparent menu with calorie and nutrition information.

Sounds like a bloody great option to me.

Yep. I usually double the meat, add lots of veggies, and leave off any dressings since I like a dry-ish sandwich. Super easy to fit in my day. And I totally love the flatbread.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Wow - So much hatred spewed out over all this! You people just LOVE telling someone they are an IDIOT don't you? What a lovely COMMUNITY we've become! 2 Years ago, I didn't see very much of this negativity here. MFP has grown up to be Facebook!

Now, on to my rebuttal to everyone who thinks I'm just a moron for posting an article like this!

I guess Im just disappointed that they use so many preservatives and artificial stuff (in bread they bake right in the store) and feel the need to add so many chemicals.

I fully knew that the meats and cheeses were processed and full of crap! But to put artificial colors in pickles or other chemicals in olives? Why? It's not needed?

I am not hating on what you posted and woudn't call someone an idiot. However, I don't eat there enough to really worry or fret over chemical in olives and the fact that the bread is frozen and then baked on sight. When I do go to Subway, I enjoy every bite and don't stress over what may or may not be in it. I think the fact that people stress over food that is probably more unhealthy then the food itself.
  • cookieshop
    Options
    if we buy organic like meat, vegges,fruits etc, wouldn't they be without nitrates, I mean one from the fertilizers?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie, a sugar train and now a Subway train! Just waiting for a McDonald's train to start, and we are good to go for the day. Toot toot!
    The McDonald's train is still going from the other day! :laugh:

And no one told me?? Where!?

You can catch it at the station of redundancy station! Or find it on the recent posts board. :tongue:

It's not there!

Here it is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1165839-eat-mcdonald-s-lose-wight-set-terrible-example
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I don;t eat there anymore. My newest vice is http://www.firehousesubs.com/

I love Firehouse Subs!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

I suspect this won't be taken well, but you clearly have no clue what true hatred is.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only eat the cookies there, so I'm safe ;)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I suspect this won't be taken well, but you clearly have no clue what true hatred is.

Especially since none of us called anyone an idiot or a moron, but simply responded to a post that said "EVIL Subway" in it. Yet another post denouncing a restaurant. Anyone going out to a restaurant knows the food there isn't going to be as healthy and fresh.
    And yes, OP doesn't seem to understand what true hatred really is. I just a lot of passionate disagreement, not personal attacks.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If Subway uses frozen dough and doesn't recycle bread for multiple days, why do they need to put all of those preservatives in it?? Take it as a simple question, without regard to your personal philosophy on ingesting said chemicals.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Actually, the person who posted 'idiot' was referring to the author of the article, not you. I think people are just a bit surprised that you're so surprised at the ingredient lists from Subway. It's right there, on their website. And when you post a topic titled Evil Subway, and then include a rather ridiculous article, you have to expect to get a bit of backlash.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    you people do realize you can just get a salad and pile on a bunch of vegetables with no added ingredients that you didn't even have to cut yourself?

It's a great place for vegetarians/vegans to get a quick meal that fits your dietary goals.

Sure all their meat products have added stuff for food safety/palatablity purposes, but they can fit your goals as well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Don't have a Subway nearby. :sad:

So I will go to Firehouse Subs tomorrow, thanks OP!!!! :bigsmile:

OP-you make a great salesman!!! :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If Subway uses frozen dough and doesn't recycle bread for multiple days, why do they need to put all of those preservatives in it?? Take it as a simple question, without regard to your personal philosophy on ingesting said chemicals.

There really aren't a lot of preservatives. All those scary-sounding things aren't preservatives. They're mostly there to make the dough have a more consistent texture and flavor from batch to batch, enhance the flavor, etc. There are also mold inhibitors, because mold can and will form on frozen dough as it thaws.

Also, a lot of those chemicals are actually vitamins and minerals.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In comparison to many other fast food chains IS a healthy option - meat, veggies and carbs with low saturated fats.

Sure, it may not be 'clean' (which I see everywhere on these message boards) but, in reality, how 'clean' can anyone really eat. Would you call it 'dirty'? I wouldn't, but, hey, what do I know? I'm no food expert…I just know what I enjoy eating and I will continue eating Subway to my heart's content :smile:
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I read it. Now I'm hungry. Thanks.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I only eat the cookies there, so I'm safe ;)

Subway cookies for the win! :love::drinker:
  • sixds
    sixds Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes jared said it was! Lol but i love subway