WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Susan, I found MFP in January 2009 and found Isagenix a few months later. I was 62 years old and the veteran of many different weight loss attempts which succeeded only in keeping my weight under 200 pounds for about 20 years. I had never tried logging my food and always scoffed at the notion. My first day on MFP I planned all my food for the day, logged it in the food diary and resolved to stick to the plan no matter what. A few days later a friend picked me up to go to a meeting and said that she’d brought me a bagel and cream cheese and I thanked her and said that I was eating only what was logged in my food diary. That was the beginning of a daily resolution that changed my life. At first my eating wasn’t so healthy, but in time I made changes and budgeted calories to get the most food and the most nutrition for my 1200 calories. My healthy eating plan gave me more energy and when I started exercising a lot more I realized that I’d have to increase my calories to give my body the needed fuel. I think I am disciplined in the same way that diabetics, alcoholics, and people with life threatening allergies are disciplined. My life depends on my observance of some simple rules about eating and exercising. I am able to walk 10,000 steps or more first thing in the morning because I gradually made my bedtime earlier (less TV and mindless computer time) so I could get up earlier and be able walk my dogs for two hours before I have to go anywhere in the morning. It took about a year to lose 70 pounds and then my doctors told me to gain weight but for over a year I was at my dream weight. Now I’m a few pounds heavier and my doctors are happy. I have continued to log food and exercise and participate in this awesome supportive community because I see this as a lifelong commitment. My relationship with food is flawed so I must follow a daily program to stay on track.

:bigsmile: Rita, bravo to you for moving the candy dish…..no one has self-control with the candy dish nearby.

:bigsmile: Linda C. I’m so glad your doggies are home……I can visualize the happy doggie dance they did

:bigsmile: Jill, happy anniversary.

:flowerforyou: This morning I taught half the beginner line dance class and it was more challenging than usual. The teacher (I’m the helper since she’s had health problems) taught a dance that was much too hard in the first half of the class and everyone was brain dead by the time I started. I had promised someone that I’d teach a dance that she requested that was also too hard for the class. It was such a relief to get to the final dance----a familiar one we use to end every class. I had to use one of my happiness commandments to get through the morning
    Act the way you want to feel.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 19,000 steps today

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. ~Confucius

“Enough is abundance to the wise." - Euripide
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am still adjusting to my Fitbit and finally asked the (I hope) right questions today. It turns out that I am supposed to eat back all of the calories that Fitbit adds to MFP. I had been leaving up to 500+ calories at the end of the day because I was afraid to eat more. :frown: However, today I also chose to eat badly. :blushing: I had fast food for lunch because I was craving a burger. Next time, I'll get two burgers and forget the fries. I don't really like them any more. I had all intentions of eating a healthy supper but was derailed by fatigue and ate hot dogs. Then I wanted chocolate. Then I was still hungry. I DID stay within my calories (according to my Fitbit exercise calories), but I need a nutritious day tomorrow. I also need a good night's sleep. I've not slept well since before Christmas and it is beginning to hit me hard. I volunteered to help out at church for a while in the morning then I hope to meet up with a friend for a bit. That gives me something to look forward to other than the usual Saturday chores of laundry and cleaning. :drinker:

I hope everyone has a good night's rest!

Carol in soggy wet NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Today has been my best eating and exercising day this year! Guess what! I logged my food in for the day and followed my plan. It let me know that there was no room for those afternoon munchies. First time I've walked outside due to cold and a hurt foot. Foot did good the first mile but I felt it coming home so I'm icing it right now.
    Debbie - my heart aches for you and the pain you feel right now. Everyone goes through the stages of grieving at different paces. A bereavement class might be helpful when the emotions aren't so raw. :heart:
    Allison - hope your brother is making progress. Take care of you!
    Cindy - congratulations on your new grand baby.
    Tina in FL - hope it warms up because we're going to FL in February to play golf.
    Amanda - we have twin grandkids also. They were preemies and the boy had a rough time but he's 11 now and just a joy.
    Debi - good luck with your goal to lose weight so you can have knee replacement.
    Patty - good luck with your certification test. Let us know how it went.
    Heather - I love to read about your clothes and how excited you are with your new body. Hard work has rewards.
    Pat in OH - I bet your crib quilt is darling. What a great gift for your new grand child.
    Congrats to all who lost weight, keep up the good work. I hope to join that group soon:bigsmile:
    I'm sure I've missed a lot but I tried all day to catch up. See you tomorrow.
    Sue in TX
  • grandnana931
    Options
    Back for the second day! Yay for me! Although I normally fade after about 3 weeks, my goal is to see this through this time because I am important too. :smile:

I have read through some more of the posts and hope to get to know you all better within the next few weeks.

My goals for this month:

Log everything that goes into my mouth.
    Drink at least 64 oz of water each day.
    Before I mindlessly eat, I need to ask myself if I'm truly hungry or is something else driving me to want to eat.

Debi in TN
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    so excited down 2 lbs and 1 1/2 inches in waist
    :drinker: Sherry SO CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    tazgirl - that's just wonderful. You know that there is a cookbook called "Fit it and Forget It Lightly" which has all the nutritionals? I use that cookbook a lot

You know, I had a little bit more of that chocolate fudge cake, and I honestly felt sort of "yukky". That's good. Hope it stays that way

Denise - welcome back. Come in more often, we'd love to hear from ya

barbie - we have two garages, one 2 car attached to the house where some are stored and another detached garage that we built which is 2 stories, one half is for an actual vehicle, the other part of the 2 car garage is for my hubby's music equipment (this way I don't have to listen to him playing his drums....lol) and the upstairs is for his train collection. We do store the rest of the decorations on shelves in the part of the detached garage where he stores his car. Actually, taking down the decorations isn't as time consuming as putting them up, and it's going pretty fast especially with the two of us working. How nice that you call your cousin. Even if you have to hold the phone away from your ear....lol

Kay - those elastic bands can really tax the muscle, but it's a good feeling. I need to use mine more often.

Meg - we use those "Pill Pockets" to put Loki's med in. How funny the guy wanted his wife to put his cholesterol med in salami....lol

Carol in NC - having just a bit of chocolate isn't all that bad really. As long as it's just a little bit.

Amy, this is a wonderful board. What are your problems? I'm sure someone here can help you.

Kathy - how nice of you to give your friend that referral. Sounds like he's a good doc

Deb from TN - pop in here often and you'll get all the support you hope for.

Sylvia - so glad you had such a good time at your party. Vince likes his sweets. Fortunately, I can have just a bite of the cake or cookie and be satisfied. but he has to have the whole thing!

Went to the deep water class today. First went to Bi-Lo to get a few things. We started putting away the Christmas decorations, but it's rainy and cold so Vince is working on taking the lights off the tree right now.

Tomorrow I usually go to yoga on Saturdays but the Y is having an open house which means that the classes will be like 30 minutes each. I'll just do a DVD that I got for Christmas "Seriously Strong by Gin Miller"

Susan - what a time you've had! That was so nice to tell your dad that it's a good thing he was there, I bet it made up for some of his feeling like he just can't do things. One time the people who own the condo above ours in FL was renting it out and their renters let the toilet run. Vince went down to go to the Daytona 500 and walked into the entire ceiling in the bath having collapsed. Plus...it didn't smell all that great, and that's putting it mildly. He had to spend the night at a hotel, that's how bad it was.

Margaret - I never realized that about the Normal Rockwell painting. Next time I see it, I'm going to look much closer now. Homemade root beer - yummmm. You're right, sometimes calories ARE worth it

Allison - good for you going to an Al-Anon meeting. I'm sure they'll be a great help to you.

Gail - happy birthday to your hubby

We got a Christmas card from Bryan. Another two whole sentences. It must be a cultural thing, but I know when I was first married, I sent a card to Vince's parents, I'd also send birthday, anniversary, etc. cards. Not sure if it's that Diana doesn't have any desire whatsoever to have any dealings with us or what. I'm still surprised that she doesn't care to get to know us, that she doesn't want to know the parents of the guy she's married to. Oh well.... Bryan never was a very wordy person, at least not now, so I'm not expecting much from him.

DeeDee and Nancy - your stores of those ladies are so great. Made me feel so warm and fuzzy.

dtown - I can feel your excitement from your post. Congrats!

Sylvia - another person on this forum with a leak! Please don't pass it over here....lol

katla - I don't care for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (did you know that that isn't real peanut butter but a peanut butter paste?), but what I've done in the past is bought a bag/box/whatever of what it was that I was craving but I didn't want to eat the whole thing. I paid for it at the store, opened it up in front of the cashier, taken out what I wanted, and then given the rest to the cashier. She can put them in the break room. Better on their hips than mine. Actually, its mostly young kids working so they don't gain weight just by looking at goodies.

Jill - happy anniversary! Glad you enjoyed the decorations. Vince likes to go all out. All those Christmas ones (not the Halloween) are computer controlled. Have a wonderful dinner. Be mindful (like I should talk!), but have a great time

Joyce - I can almost never find clothes to fit me at WalMart. Oh, sometimes they have petite sized jeans, but that's about IT. So glad you found your FitBit

patcoh - my husband always liked the Yoplait Thick & Creamy Key Lime yogurt (no other flavor). Well, I don't know if they stopped making key lime or the store stopped carrying it, but I tried giving him key lime greek yogurt. I figured it was thick like the thick and creamy. He didn't like it, so guess who wound up finishing it? Maybe he didn't like it because it wasn't the light with aftificial sweetener.

Viv - just added you on facebook.

Vicki - congrats on the addition to your family. And you're so right, time spent with the children is worth it.

Bryan just sent Jessica a Christmas card to our address. I don't mind it coming here. Her's was a whole 3 sentences! In it he says "We love you very much". What did we ever do to deserve this treatment?

Linda in northern ON - good luck on the tests.

Jane - that's WONDERFUL that they are replacing your FitBit. What customer service! You're making out like a bandit. First the FitBit then the shoes! It never hurts to write (or call) to the manufacturer.

Allison - I'm in constant awe of what a wonderful sister you are. When MIL and FIL were in nursing homes, I would get the nursing staff a fruit basket.

Sylvia - I'm so sorry about the taco place. If it were me, I would definitely have sent it back. If they keep this up, they won't have many more customers, that's for sure.

Michele in NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is a short post tonight; I’m tired and after working today, I came home and cranked out an entire chapter on the new test bank. I have to go in tomorrow too so that I am ready for next week. I did read everyone’s post. I am grateful today for all of you.

Sylvia: I cracked up over the ID card idea

Susan: OMG that is a horrible thing to happen to you and family! I know how frustrating insurance issues can be. Sending prayers, hugs, and industrial dryers to dry things out!

Grandmallie: more hugs to you and your brother

DeeDEe: OMG I want to be your new friend Helen! When we go dancing, there is an old-old couple there and it doesn’t matter what the type of music they dance nearly every song and even sing the lyrics…even Lady Gaga! He and she are both very regal and look like they have had a wonderful life!

Heather: I never go bare armed either! I wish I could though!

Liz: apparently my antics were the “water cooler” talk yesterday. People kept stopping by to ask me if I really threatened to start a fire in my office!

Dtown8: congrats on the great loss!

Katla: glad I brought you two a smile and a laugh!:laugh:

Jill: happy anniversary. Enjoy every bite@!

Vicki: hope you got home safe and sound

Sherry: great loss!

Michele: glad you at least got a card from Bryan

OK must run and get the grocery list done before collapsing. DH and DD#2 are doing the shopping for me tomorrow so I can go in to work. Take care, Meg from Omaha where it was foggy today
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love that Barbie, my relationship with food is flawed. Through the 14 months I have been on this journey I have done fine with all kinds of food except chocolate. I have managed to pretty well stay away from it but when I am by myself in a store, that's when the checkout counter is hard for me. I know that there are candy free aisles but not in every grocery and drug stores. I try to purposefully go down the candy aisle at the grocery store just to build resistance to chocolate. I know that dark chocolate in small amounts can be good for you but I just don't like it. An occasional peppermint patty is OK. One time my nuerologist suggested that if I wanted a chocolate taste I should try those vitamin D or C or calcium chocolate chews. Just one a day, Sure, just one a day. Would work for me. NOT:laugh: :huh:

Well, time to get back on my bike again to get rid of my massive amount of calories I consumed today. The only other way to do that is to purge and that is just wrong on all counts. I don't even know why I wrote it. The one thing this chocolate did for me is it did give me a couple of good bowel movements!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Wow, I did another Bodcombat class today. Normally, I don't like to do them on consecutive days. My body is all combatted out and fried! I should sleep like a baby tonight.

Gail, I checked out the Finkelstein test on my thumb. Ouch, ouch, owie! What do you know? I think I discovered something there. Thanks.

Liz, I have been known to wait until hubby goes out of town on business to do something to my hair, then see how long it takes him to notice on his return. It has evolved into a little running joke.

Good night, all
    -Kay (PNW USA)
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Good evening (9:20 pm Pacific Standard Time as I begin to type this),

:glasses: Thanks for the wise advice - I didn't note which lovely lady suggested it - to stretch after my workouts with the Coach. I do take a food-based calcium and magnesium supplement daily.

:happy: I love to sing. Choir practice is on Thursday nights. I'm the lead alto. My adult daughters don't come to church with me and, since I'm divorced, I don't need to worry about sitting with anyone in the congregation.

:tongue: It was another tough workout tonight. Coach shows no mercy! :sad:

Tomorrow (Saturday) is a busy day. I take the cat to the vet for his annual vaccine, go for lunch with my Spiritual Director, have another workout with the Coach :noway: , and have my daughters over in the evening to play a game :bigsmile: .

Sunday will be church and then catching up on household chores.

Time for a shower and then bed for me. :yawn: Hope you wonderful women have a great weekend.

Anne, Vancouver area, BC, Canada

A few goals for me for January 2014:

- To lose 6 lbs by January 31 (to be well on my way to my personal Goal #2 for March 31)

- To exercise a minimum of one hour, three times per week under the guidance of a personal trainer (already hired)

- To stick as closely as I can to the low-fat, high-fibre vegan diet I'm trying to follow for the month of January
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Saturday.

:flowerforyou: Don't know where the time has gone this morning, ahh I know, spent time helping DH with the crossword instead of checking the posts on MFP :bigsmile: He'd interrupted me so many times I gave up to help him, Crossword completed yey us. Then had to sync my fitbit and log my sleep.

:flowerforyou: Sorry I can't respond personally, but I've been sat at the computer over an hour :embarassed: this will not get steps logged into my fit bit, (I'm trying to do more than yesterday 16,674). Already got 4,695 on from the early dog walk.

Well I need to get my act started, haven't done my exercise DVD yet so that it the next thing then a bit of shopping and household chores. At least the weather is a little brighter this morning although it is very cold. Noticed on our dog walk this morning that the wind was icy.

Best get going I can procrastinate (sp) forever!

Love to all :heart: :heart: :heart:

Viv
    (wizzy York UK)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options

Viv - just added you on facebook.

Michele in NC

:flowerforyou: Thanks Michele. Any other facebookers out there?

Viv
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Bright blue skies here in London. It's not particularly warm, but I have the main door to the gallery open - nice to air the place out for once and also attracts passers by.

Yesterday I met up with my sister and a couple of friends for coffee (and also a slice of date and walnut cake which was to die for!) We spent three hours chatting and it was interesting to find out that my sister is the only one of us who is not in therapy. Three of us have been having therapy for many years and our biggest problems really do seem to stem from overbearing, slightly oppressive mothers. My sister was my mum's favourite child, so maybe that's why she didn't need therapy!

Must concentrate on some work now. Have a lovely weekend my beauties.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone; have to go out the door in a minute but wanted to say hi!

Cynthia
  • KatShe
    KatShe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rejoining myfitnesspal. Realized I really do need to log what I eat. Excited a bout recommitting to healthy lifestyle!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope the weekend is off to a wonderful start for everyone:bigsmile: ! I think I`ll do a little shopping today, something fun, I really need to clean:grumble: , but....that`s not fun:sad: !!! I`ve decided I want a new lipstick:happy: , no size needed for that:laugh: !

We are having a thunderstorm at the moment:huh: ,pouring rain, thunder is rumbling and shaking the house:noway: , lightening lighting up the sky too....guess I should get off the computer:ohwell: !

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in stormy NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Checking in briefly. A cold seems to have caught me, and I'm headed back to bed. :sick:
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies: Well yesterday was a bust,:sad: did well for lunch, went to Cracker Barrel with my supervisor, only had the salad with chicken and baked potato. (not bad) Here comes the bad--DH is in school (security guard training w/weapon) it's 3 days of 9am to 8pm, so dinner is at 8:30 :noway: which was lasagna and garlic bread (we normally eat by 5:30) so by that late I was starving, and it was just easier to throw it in the oven and be done with it. :embarassed: So today & tomorrow I will try to eat a later breakfast and lunch, and make a healthier dinner. :bigsmile:

Sue in TX--It's suppose to be 84 today, I think you will have plenty of warm weather come February. There is a post going around facebook that says Florida the only place you can get Frostbite and a Sunburn in the same week (sometimes in the same day):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hope you enjoy your trip. :bigsmile:

Michele--Never heard of that cookbook, But I will definetly look it up, Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC--I have those days alot, but I'm working on getting better (always a work in progress) just keep on keeping on, you will get the hang of it.:flowerforyou:

Debi in TN--Welcome, hope you come back a lot, these women are wonderful and such a great influence. :flowerforyou:

Sherry--Congrats! :flowerforyou:

Meg--You make me smile, I love your witty post. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Heather--I know I probaly shouldn't (okay I shouldn't) but it gets so hot here in Florida and with Hot Flashes too I can't stand sleeves, so sleeveless I go. :noway: :embarassed:

Joyce-- I can resist the chocolate in the grocery store, it's the chocolate my DH has hidden (not very well evidentlly) in the freezer! :bigsmile:

Wizzywig--I'm on facebook I will message you my name.:flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day! :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida --where it will be 84 today!

Cynthia--Good Morning!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am reading “Willpower”. It was recommended by Gretchen Rubin who wrote “The Happiness Project”. The book examines willpower and self control regarding many more applications than just in regards to eating. It has been fascinating reading. It’s a fairly new book (2011) and I found it in the library. The authors make a strong case for strategy as a tool to improve self control which was one of the best tools I learned from “The Thin Commandments Diet”. They also recommend monitoring----weighing yourself every day (and keeping records so you can see how far you’ve come) and keeping a food diary. They suggest rewarding yourself (I put stickers on my calendar for reaching goals) and staying out of situations that demand more self control than you have available.
    Barbie
    I got a copy of Willpower yesterday. I too follow the thin commandments diet and the happiness project, so after your post I ordered one straight away. Hope to start reading it this evening.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Got page 4 read all caught up with the reading but honestly it's hard to take notes and find the time to type them in.
    This morning is hockey for grandson at 10 and it's already 9:30 and I'm sitting here in my nightgown.

Had a crap day yesterday but going to see that today be good. Dogs are better. Very hard to get them to take their pill.
    But sure not hard to get them to eat their cup of food. When its time they are hungry.

Funny breakfast this morning leftover Spanish rice. I like it. So no matter when you have it as long as the belly is happy.

Wii gave me .7 gain.. And with what I pulled yesterday. Guess I should count myself lucky. LOL.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.