"Please include a message with your friend request.."

Options

Replies

• Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i accept everyone I also dont cull my list. no note? who cares. they dont comment on my diary? who cares? They aren't on the same path as me? who cares? They eat meat? are religious? republican? lifters? who cares? I dont need tons of support and I offer what I can. I appreciate everyone for where they are and who they are.

comingtoamerica1_zpsfc1ea7db.gif
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Dude, who the heck accepts FB friend requests without knowing the person? Man, I'm pickier there than I am here.

+1

Also, why would you add someone as a friend without even saying, "Hey! I've seen you around and I thought we'd make good friends because..." or, "Hi, I want to get to know people like you who..."

There are weirdos on MFP. Fortunately I've pretty much gotten to know them all through intro messages.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i accept everyone I also dont cull my list. no note? who cares. they dont comment on my diary? who cares? They aren't on the same path as me? who cares? They eat meat? are religious? republican? lifters? who cares? I dont need tons of support and I offer what I can. I appreciate everyone for where they are and who they are.

comingtoamerica1_zpsfc1ea7db.gif

lol love it! i appreciate you too!! ha ha
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    This:
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I don't accept blank friend requests from anyone. No matter who they are.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

I'm not here to just collect people and won't be collected by anyone else.

If I do accept someone on my list and then they don't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

ETA: I'm really just a b!tch. That's what it boils down to.

And this:
    I don't like to waste my time with people who don't even have the courtesy to introduce themselves.

So . . . no, you don't get to come to the party.

Also, how does it make us "above ourselves" when YOU are the one obviously looking down your nose at those of us with that message in our profiles? Judge much?
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It is why I always include a junk shot with FR... and expect nothing less in return

he aint lyin...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I personally don't enjoy accepting a bunch of people who never post with me and I end up deleting after they stop logging in for months.

That so wrong?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    *opens file cabinet and searches somewhere between I DON'T CARE and NONE YA BUSINESS*
    Filing%2BCabinet%2BOrganization%2BBlog%2BPictures.003.tiff \m/
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So, who declined you to inspire this butthurt rant?

What I'm left wondering is..."wouldn't it have been easier/faster/more direct to just write that damned FR message than to start this thread? "
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    OP, you have (currently) 29 friends, and I'm fairly confident that not all 29 people post on your wall or even their wall on a regular basis. I'm not just talking about "So and So ate food and their calories were less than whatever" or "So and So walked an imaginary dog for bloated calories burned" type of posts, I'm talking about active, post everything from my kids won't go to sleep to I haven't pooped in days.

When you have 290 friends on your list, all posting really interesting, stupid, mind-numbing, boring, exciting, life altering things, you just can't keep up. You can't be interactive. You can't be supportive. Your super witty comment just gets lost in the sea of 1000 other super witty comments.

I currently have 100 friends. Probably 2/3 rds of them are active on their walls, on other peoples walls, and in the forums...that's a lot of information to follow.

Having "friends" just to have "friends" doesn't do much for me, personally. I want at least most of the people on my friends list to be active, funny, interesting and some-what able to handle my humor, sarcasm, cynicism, and out right awesomeness. Having a friend request with a message as to why you want to be my friend helps in weeding out those who will either complain about what I post, or immediately un-friend me.

Just because I made an awesomely helpful post one day and you happen to agree with what I wrote, doesn't mean that I want to be buddies and listen to you complain that they are on day 3 of a 7 lemonade cleanse. Some people are incompatible, and a message is just a way to help understand each other.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I take all comers, message or not.

I have 1 simple rule: I delete those who have not logged in for 1 month. That's it.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I can top this.

I have that message in my profile ... but my profile is PRIVATE so you can't see it. Therefore, if you don't have enough common sense or courtesy to let me know how you found me or why you want to be my friend, you're outta luck even withOUT the warning/disclaimer.

:flowerforyou:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    From OP's profile,

Reward 130lbs lost- Colonic Hydrotherapy

Out for colon cleanse...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've found that 150 friends is all I can keep up with. I want to actually know the people on my list. It's important to me that I know something about each of them. I want to be able to give them advice when they need it. If someone posts that they ran 6 miles or lifted 95 lbs I want to know without being told whether that's a bad day or a PR for them.

I think most people add everyone at first. But eventually it gets to be too many people. You have 29 friends, so I can understand why it seems unnecessary to you.

Also I only have 89 people on my Facebook list. I'm much pickier there than I am here.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    OP, you have (currently) 29 friends, and I'm fairly confident that not all 29 people post on your wall or even their wall on a regular basis. I'm not just talking about "So and So ate food and their calories were less than whatever" or "So and So walked an imaginary dog for bloated calories burned" type of posts, I'm talking about active, post everything from my kids won't go to sleep to I haven't pooped in days.

When you have 290 friends on your list, all posting really interesting, stupid, mind-numbing, boring, exciting, life altering things, you just can't keep up. You can't be interactive. You can't be supportive. Your super witty comment just gets lost in the sea of 1000 other super witty comments.

I currently have 100 friends. Probably 2/3 rds of them are active on their walls, on other peoples walls, and in the forums...that's a lot of information to follow.

Having "friends" just to have "friends" doesn't do much for me, personally. I want at least most of the people on my friends list to be active, funny, interesting and some-what able to handle my humor, sarcasm, cynicism, and out right awesomeness. Having a friend request with a message as to why you want to be my friend helps in weeding out those who will either complain about what I post, or immediately un-friend me.

Just because I made an awesomely helpful post one day and you happen to agree with what I wrote, doesn't mean that I want to be buddies and listen to you complain that they are on day 3 of a 7 lemonade cleanse. Some people are incompatible, and a message is just a way to help understand each other.

I love this ******* guy....
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I don't accept blank friend requests from anyone. No matter who they are.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

I'm not here to just collect people and won't be collected by anyone else.

If I do accept someone on my list and then they don't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

ETA: I'm really just a b!tch. That's what it boils down to.

Honestly this is my view exactly, including the ETA! :drinker:
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dude, who the heck accepts FB friend requests without knowing the person? Man, I'm pickier there than I am here.

This! and it's only polite to write a little something about why you are requesting the FR!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have both of them on my profile.

The friends I have kept are the ones that have been motivational and active, I want to be able to give them the attention they give me. If I was to have more, I wouldn't be able to do that. Also, if you are to lazy to write a one sentence reason for adding me, the chances are you will be to lazy to communicate with your friends after they are on your list. When I posted my success story I was inundated with friends requests, most of them without messages. I don't think its snobby, its just the way it is; I want to help my friends when they need it and have friends there to help me when I do, I don't need or want to 'collect' people just to make myself feel good and would rather not be just a number to someone else.

If it hurts your feelings then... lol.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The last thing in the world I want is my wall to be full of posts by people I neither like nor care about.

If I accepted every FR sent to me, I'd have over 500 friends.