Most awkward weight comment

Options

Replies

• befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 plus lbs and have been feeling really positive. I ran into someone that I haven't seen in almost a year and they asked if I was sick because I had lost weight! :(
    I gained 40 lbs in the last 3 years(so yeah, very quickly, sigh) I started telling people I had some thyroid problems and gained weight(I don't:/) how sad is that?!
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    " i want to lick peanut butter off your abs"

was awkward.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    After losing a bunch of weight I get a lot of ignorant comments from people who think losing weight means never, ever, ever eating any "unhealthy" foods.

I eat a cookie or a piece of candy and it's "You're gonna get fat!" From one piece? Hardly.

I tell someone I lost weight eating the foods I like including pizza and burgers and they say, "That's impossible. You couldn't have lost weight if you ate that." And yet I did...

And then there were people warning me that I was getting too thin. Given that my weight has never dropped below 150, that was hardly a cause for concern.

I get comments like this at work all the time.
    We have fajita day at work on Thursday's and once a month I'll treat myself to one, well that just sets everyone off!
    People will walk by me and say "OMG YOU'RE EATING!!!" Like of course I'm eating...soooo annoying!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Last week ran into a coworker in the break room. I noticed her little pooch and suspected she was pregnant, but didn't want to ask so I jokingly asked her if that was a Christmas belly, she laughed and said she was almost 4 months pregnant with twins. Though, for someone that wasn't ready to tell people, she wasn't hiding it very well.

As for being called skinny, I hate it, it hate it with a red hot passion and whenever someone calls me skinny I want to stab them in the neck. People have been calling me skinny since I got down to 190lbs, I'm now around 155lbs. Not sure if they're just delusional, on meth or they really think calling me skinny is a compliment. It isn't.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My Dad told me once that my *kitten* was 2 axe handles wide. HA
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We were eating at a friends house and my 10 y/o gave me the rest of her ice cream, which I ate (can't let ice cream go to waste). But as I was eating it, the host said "no wonder you can't lo....." as his voice trailed off I realized he stopped himself from saying "lose weight." Since I didn't know him that well, I refrained from a witty response and let the awkward silence just hang there. My wife was even too stunned to respond--and that is a rarity for her. My wife and I laugh about it now.

Um... you win.

The worst it ever got for me was when I was at my heaviest and if my son (who was 4 at the time) had to leave the table for any reason he would always tell me not to eat the rest of the food. Ouch!

The other day at Walmart was weird too. I was buying shoes for my kids and had just talked to my husband letting him know I was spending X amount out of the bank account and this woman approached me telling me she didn't mean to eavesdrop (uh-huh) but she specialized in helping good moms realize their full potential. I was confused, fully expecting her to hand me money or something or at least a bible tract but instead she gave me her weight loss business card and told me to call her. I am a heavy woman, no doubt about that, but sometimes I think it would be beneficial to get a necklace or hat or something with "I have lost (fill in the blank) pounds so far" that way we can for the most part avoid the unnecessary comments.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I look smaller than i am too. Once my trainer was doing the body fat pinchy thingy, after he calculated the number he said "Lets do that again". Then he did it a third time. Then he said "I guess you're just that big' I was 170 at the time so I was barely in the obese category but still...people should keep their opinions to themselves.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    " i want to lick peanut butter off your abs"

was awkward.

I was outta line.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The time I told my coworker I had lost fifteen pounds and then they said ohh just ten more to go right? maybe twenty? :cry:
  • brokenchains2222
    Options
    I was working for a missions organization in Jamaica and learned the hard way that Jamaicans are very blunt. One of the Friday free time activities was climbing this mountain to Stickman's house. Stickman came down and the very first thing he said to me was "You're too fat to climb my mountain".... I'm gonna climb that stinking mountain this summer! haha
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    All comments about weight are awkward when you are fat. That's the painful truth...It's when people tell you to lose weight and you don't get it. I've been there...lost 126 lbs.

They're not any better when you're thin. Being told you need to eat a sandwich is no less painful or awkward than being told to stop eating one.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    All these sad stories, so I have to add in a funny thing a co-workers son to said to her once:

She had bougth some jeans, but didn't try them on, and when she got home and did so she found that they were too big. She commented to her boys that she was gonna have to go return them and one of her sons (prolly like 10 at the time) said "Don't worry mom, you'll grow into them!" Bahahahahaha!
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    All comments about weight are awkward when you are fat. That's the painful truth...It's when people tell you to lose weight and you don't get it. I've been there...lost 126 lbs.

They're not any better when you're thin. Being told you need to eat a sandwich is no less painful or awkward than being told to stop eating one.

QFT. I experienced this after I lost weight the first time. I was always around 125 pounds during my teen years, but when I gained weight and worked hard to get back to 125, everyone began to make these comments. After a while, I just started to say, "Hey...you know that I've weighed this much before, right? Why wasn't it a concern then?"
  • SolitudesMuse
    SolitudesMuse Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was at the doctor a few days ago for a pre-employment physical. When weighing me the nurse exclaimed, "Wow, honey, you hide this well!"

I ALWAYS got that at the doctor, even as a kid...but definitely as an adult. Every. Single. Time. Even if I was being weighed for some odd purpose, the person in charge would *have to* comment on that and it was always awkward. Almost like they were saying I was getting away with being even fatter than I looked? Wah..

My ex husband used to tell me that I would be too top-heavy if I lost weight. I secretly laugh that I've lost over 100 lb and still wear the same cup size and just two band sizes down. Screw you, dude.

Yes! I guess I'm flattered that she thinks I look lighter than I am... And in large part (haha) I credit my "girls" with keeping me relatively proportionate. So go you and your "top heavy" girls! Love it.
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will never forget this but I can look back and laugh...or cringe. My dad's uncle saw me after I lost about 40 pounds and he said "you look so pretty now! You used to have a big stomach but such a pretty face!" My dad was so mad and I appreciate when he said "My daughter has always been beautiful no matter what size! You will never say that again!" His uncle apologized but stared at me the whole time with admiration and it was a slap of reality. This is but 1 of the many issues I have faced. From "friends" and family. Good times...

I learned this the hard way- People better love me (or YOU) the way I am because the looks will not protect the face my fist is shooting towards. I admit I became harsher when I lost weight to strangers. Especially people who looked at me like a piece of meat. I want to better the relationship with myself- I did not do this hard @#$ work to make someone else's life easier. I have become kinder to the loves in my heart but that is because I humbly appreciate that they cared for me in ANY shape or form. Those people are my gems and keep me in check.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing, you guys! :smile:
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My twin sister got yelled at by a very enthusiastic (she's well meaning, but LOUD) friend of my mother's. She told her she needed to stop losing weight, thinking she was me. She is at a perfectly good weight for our height, and has been around that weight for years.

I've been asked if I miss my boobs. I've still got 'em, they're just not gargantuan anymore. I'm perfectly okay with this.

On Christmas I was told to stop losing because I've got bones sticking out. I don't.

Edited to add: When I began exercising and was ecstatic about my weight dropping, every once in a while a friend would say, "Well, you really weren't fat before". While I appreciate the sentiment, I was incredibly unhappy weighing more than I did when I was 9 months pregnant.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

+1
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oh and my mother in law (yep they are the best) hands me a skirt. "I found this in my closet and its too big for me but I thought it might fit you. " Ouch. Worst of all it was a medium and I'm a large.

The exact same thing happened to me! "Here, this is miles too big for me but it should fit you okay." (This after I had lost 40 lbs and gotten into a size 10 for the first time in years.) The skirt did fit me, but I still felt awful. It went straight into the Goodwill box when we went home.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at the number of commenters that mentioned a stranger touched their belly thinking that the commenter was pregnant. HOLY CRAP. Seriously? Strangers touching you because they think you're pregnant? Who thinks that's OK?

Yuck. Rude and creepy.