Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

yup. i always say if you wear makeup to the gym and it doesn't look like you were in a bukkake sesh by the end.. you didnt train hard enough.

I spit out my water when I read this :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yup. Nothing like working out next to Chanel No 5 laced with sweat
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I have a hard time breathing around anyone who is wearing noticeable perfume or cologne. I'm not sure what it is. I just move away from them asap. They can wear what they want, but I don't have to stand next to them.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Uh.... no. Just no. Either get your own gym or deal with it. I am not going to change everything in my medicine cabinet because you are "sensitive" to scented items. And guess what, neither will the rest of the world.

Im highly allergic to entitled whiners. But I dont expect or assume they are gong to change just for me.

If this seems to overly rustle my jimmies, its because my sons 2nd grade teacher had a sign on her door that labeled her classroom as "scent free". And we were to refrain from using scented laundry supplies on our child's clothes, no scented hairspray or gel, and for conferences, she would cancel them if we were "scented". Because it gives her headaches.

If you are actually allergic, as in you may have a medical emergency if you encounter scented products, apply for disability and stay home. Otherwise, do what the rest of us do when other people's actions make us uncomfortable, either leave or call the *kitten* out on his excessive axe body spray usage.

High five, darling.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are showers in every gym...It's a horror with perfums over the sweat. And girls with fake eye lashes who parade in expensive clothes looking for guys...lol
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So many people wear perfume, deodorant etc. that can cause allergic reactions. To have to smell that crap when you are breathing hard at the gym is just wrong.

perfume, i agree, but antiperspirant? you want people to go without that!?!?! at the gym!?! yeeeesh

Antiperspirant and deodorant are two vey different products.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather smell perfume than body odor any day. Ugh!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I would imagine by the time you're done at work.... your perfume isn't going to be wafting through the air at the end of the day when you enter the gym. I'm sure OP is referring to the chronic re-appliers that are probably spraying it on in the car before they come in the gym. I think in general people need to be more aware of how much perfume/cologne they are putting on ANYTIME because sometimes I nearly pass out from the overpowering smell as someone walks by me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are showers in every gym...It's a horror with perfums over the sweat. And girls with fake eye lashes who parade in expensive clothes looking for guys...lol

see I find this funny

I personally don't go to a gym as I have a home one but I do wear false eyelashes and have expensive clothes (mind you they are workout cloths) and would wear all of them to the gym but it wouldn't be to look for guys...

Same with my sister...

I am not going to shower before I work out, I am not going to ripped my false lashes off or wear crap cloths to please some chicky who should be concentrating on her pace not my face.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of perfume at all (it bothers my allergies) but if someone is coming to work out from work or something they got ready for before going to the gym and they wear makeup/perfume/whatever else, I don't fault them for it.

I workout during my lunch break, so I have perfume (well, body spray) and sometimes makeup on. I look and smell like hell when I'm done, though :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

have some peanut butter with that jelly

if you can afford it :wink:
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just wish more gyms would invest in better ventilation.

I've been to more than few where a lingering odor of stale sweat can get to level where its almost nauseating.

I do understand about perfumes I have to steer clear of the bathroom when my wife used body spray . The perfume is Ok but the carrier that evaporates make me cough like crazy.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between a little leftover scent from when you sprayed it that morning before work and someone freshly dousing themselves before a workout. The latter is gag inducing.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good luck, it does look funny, so keep wearing fake eye lashes please lol
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence post about this. I do agree that ok a person leaving work will have a lingering scent and that's fine. But if you are in your car about to walk in and douse yourself with more body spray, cologne, perfume or what not then ya that's wrong. I have a huge intolerance or chemical smells and I fight with my teenage son and friends who come in the house reeking like boy *kitten*! Ive even gotten to the point of telling him that if he cant control who walks into my house then he can go to their houses. Point is that you can control your environment but not others. I have a treadmill and an elliptical and am looking into getting a home gym because of my intolerance. If it bugs you that much maybe you should start saving money and create yourself your own environment that you can control.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I buy expensive cologne that still smells strong after a few hours of work. Sorry not sorry.

I'm assuming women have a problem in the locker room. I can't or don't smell much cologne or perfume in any of the gyms I've ever been to. I usually smell body odor and which more people would invest in deodorant and fragrance.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

I wish I could "love" this comment!!!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Seeing some people say that they went to the gym straight from work (I doubt most of you work in a place that allows gym clothes)...then yeah i can see having make up still on...but how do you explain having so much perfume on that I can taste it in the air. NO. I am not allergic, I do not have asthma and I'm not sensitive to smells or lotions or anything but my personal space should not be invaded by your scents (good or bad). So just have some curtesy for those around you...I understand you have remains of perfume on you from the day...but walking in with half a bottle on your workout clothes (that one can assume you did not go to work in) is not acceptable. If you are looking to pick up dude/chicks, go to the bar like other respectable tramps that wear that much stink on them. Because if I don't have to care about those around me...my apologies on scratching your car in the parking lot...oh that's different? but it doesn't bother me...
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not a fan of being able to smell anybody across the room, be it at the gym or at the office. If I can identify your perfume from twenty yards away, you are wearing too much of it. If it gives me a headache from fifty yards, there is a ventilation problem. I can understand not scrubbing yourself down before hitting the weight bench, but I also don't understand why some people wear so much of it to begin with.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU have the allergy, its YOUR responsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

When it comes to children and peanuts, I completely disagree. Kids don't always know enough to protect themselves and don't always make the best decisions. They shouldn't risk death because the behave like children. It is our responsibility to protect them. My daughter has a child in her class with a severe peanut allergy. We switched her to sunflower butter instead of peanut butter - a super easy fix that in no way limited my child. Kids who want to eat peanut butter can eat all they want at home. A child's deadly allergy trumps any other child's love of peanut butter every single time. It's also a useful lesson to teach kids that we sometimes have to look out for and think of other people before ourselves.

If everyone used common courtesy and didn't worry so much about how someone else's allergy or intolerance impacted their freedom, I imagine the world would be a better place.