Match Vs eHarmony?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed (at all) if there is a relationship. Random and/or unsolicited is weird.

Try a video from a platonic friend, pleasuring herself, meant for her boyfriend, same first name as me. Yeah, it was awkward...

I hope you both can laugh about it now!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed (at all) if there is a relationship. Random and/or unsolicited is weird.
    LOL. Sorry haha..
    I laughed a bit at the "random" part.
    Only had that happen once, dude is now blocked.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Does it actually work on any girls? I totally get that it's a hazard of online dating. I could wallpaper a room with all the photos I've gotten since signing up for online dating. But just have to know if any guy has EVER scored by sending photo like that before anything has been established? Like in the history of ever?

It would be like going on a date with the creepy flasher that keeps opening his trenchcoat downtown. I know anatomically what you've got going on down there. If we date, presumably I'll see it eventually. But you don't need to flash it first!
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    Does it actually work on any girls? I totally get that it's a hazard of online dating. I could wallpaper a room with all the photos I've gotten since signing up for online dating. But just have to know if any guy has EVER scored by sending photo like that before anything has been established? Like in the history of ever?

It would be like going on a date with the creepy flasher that keeps opening his trenchcoat downtown. I know anatomically what you've got going on down there. If we date, presumably I'll see it eventually. But you don't need to flash it first!
    Not sure. Maybe if they're already in too deep, I guess.
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on POF...my dad met his new wife on POF...my husband's best friend met his wife on POF...all sites have the possibility of one night stands...you just have to weed the losers out of the mix.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to mail order brides? That really worked good.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Been on Match and Eharmony....Match I met some good peeps and harmony was okay. The last one stalked me for a bit and showed up at random times. That was the last time I tried either. I have fitnesspal now;)
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    Whatever happened to mail order brides? That really worked good.
    :noway: :angry: :angry: :angry: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I met my bf in a basement. (He played bass in a band with my brother...) I guess it doesn't matter where you meet if you are meant for each other. :)
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    I met my bf in a basement. (He played bass in a band with my brother...) I guess it doesn't matter where you meet if you are meant for each other. :)

KINKY!!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I would guess that it would of had to work at one point. or they wouldn't do it. Maybe they just wanna show off their mad photography and photoshop skillz.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I'd imagine it has have had to worked once before, some where... showing a **** pic is my usual ice breaker for random strangers.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

I'd imagine it has have had to worked once before, some where... showing a **** pic is my usual ice breaker for random strangers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    -insert awkward laughter-
  • elwing
    elwing Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I met on geek 2 geek (gk2gk.com). We've been married for almost 6 years and our daughter is turning 3 tomorrow. Just be open to all of your options. Some will have great matches and some won't.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't think online dating is any better/worse than meeting someone in a bar/grocery store/etc. They're just all in one place :)
  • KarenGMT
    Options
    I met my husband in 2000 on another dating site (now out of business, apparently). I did go on quite a few dates with other men before I met him, though. If memory serves, not one of them was looking for a one-night stand. That being said, that was 14 years ago when Internet match-up sites were new and actually a bit frowned upon.

I think it's a great way to meet people. While I don't have a preference for either one of the two sites you mention, I am aware of scams being awfully prevalent on most dating sites these days. Whichever way your friend decides to go, please tell her to be extremely cautious, both when meeting a man (or woman--not judging!) in person or getting to know them through emails, texts, and phone calls.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    It's completely superficial. There is no way that we'd treat each other in the flesh like we do online. My online experience has left me believing that I'm too ugly to deserve to even look at a woman - social phobia is rising to the surface - and that I have NOTHING to offer them. I feel like one of the 'Untermensch.'
    Spinster at 39! :/

Read this article.
    Apply what you've learned from reading said article.
    Get back to us.

http://www.returnofkings.com/5927/how-to-get-laid-on-plenty-of-fish
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    It's completely superficial. There is no way that we'd treat each other in the flesh like we do online. My online experience has left me believing that I'm too ugly to deserve to even look at a woman - social phobia is rising to the surface - and that I have NOTHING to offer them. I feel like one of the 'Untermensch.'
    Spinster at 39! :/

Read this article.
    Apply what you've learned from reading said article.
    Get back to us.

http://www.returnofkings.com/5927/how-to-get-laid-on-plenty-of-fish

Thanks. I've read that article before. It's not for me because:

1. I'm not looking to just 'get laid'

2. My honesty is one of my few virtues. I'm not going to resort to lying about myself just to fit in with the general ebb/flow of that Jerry Springer/Jeremy Kyle of a site.

3. You can see from my photos on here what I look like or what 'league' (God, I hate that term, along with the whole ethos behind it) I would be sorted into.
    You've also seen the ID parade of Mama June Shannon lookalikes that I'm reduced to believing I should date.
    Do I REALLY want to succeed on a site where having a muscular physique comparable to a lot of men ten years my junior (sorry folks, I am allowed to be proud of my work in the gym, doesn't mean I think I'm better than anybody) still places me into the uglier than ugly bracket?

Google brings up so many stories like mine regarding that site. For the sake of my self worth and self respect, I won't be returning. The whole tone of that article is a world I want no place in.

Whatever happened to the days of two people looking at each other and treating each other as human beings rather than a list of criteria or sexual junkfood?
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I know that I have cripplingly low self esteem and that I need to work on myself and realise my own worth - something which I currently believe I don't have - before I start attempting to date again.

My lack of self-esteem and fear of approaching women is stuck in the following cycle:

I hate me > Therefore > They hate me > Therefore > I hate me > Therefore > They hate me > Therefore > etc.

The online thing isn't for me. It feels too contrived. I'm old fashioned in that I like to get to know people naturally rather than hoping that I (or they) 'match the advert' which in turns sets people up for disappointment. But you can't meet people in real life in your 40s!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A couple responses to things I've read.

1) It is probably easier for a lot of people to meet a good partner if they live in or near a city that they can go to.

2) I'm not really buying this rating system. That's for people that see their partner as a status symbol or they are just looking for one night stands. The personal tastes of men are more varied. And plenty of men care about the person as a whole and how they will work in a relationship. Good looks are fine, but they do eventually change, and you need something deeper than that to actually sustain the relationship. Of course it's not either or. A person can be attractive physically and in personality. And again what personality a guy finds attractive is going to vary.

3) While I personally would not prefer online dating, I do know many people that have had great success with meeting people online. It is nice that it opens up the dating pool for a person that may be living in an area in which it is harder to meet someone of similiar interests.