Poll: Giving compliments at the gym?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• I disagree respectfully.....Im not talking STALKING Im there to workout too but a compliment on how someone looks should be like a VISA UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED Havent you ever read the bble, BE KIND TO OTHERS its not about ME ME ME Im in my "bubble" as one lady posts....take a compliment and move on, be proud you are doing good work enough to make someone notice what if we were all stuck in a building together and HAD to chat with each other......would you stay in your "bubble" if you don't like interacting with your fellow man, STAY INSIDE in a COCCOON in a "bubble" don't answer the phone, work from home

ONE DAY you WILL be old and yes DECREPPED then youd only pray for the days when you looked good and someone would compliment you again

ENJOY life, don't take it so seriously.....make friends!!! DESPITE what you convince yourself, NONE of us have too many friends

case in point

I asked God once to keep me safe from all my enemies and I started losing friends

FRIENDS come and FRIENDS GO

DONT KID YOURSELF into thinking ALL I NEED is my husband or my wife and that's ALL I need in this world...ONE DAY...they could be gone, maybe not even leaving, MAYBE DYING!! THEN WHAT?

youre lonely, you need to talk, you call all the people who USED to try and be your friend, they've moved on...they don't want anything to do with you
    just sayin
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I disagree respectfully.....Im not talking STALKING Im there to workout too but a compliment on how someone looks should be like a VISA UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED Havent you ever read the bble, BE KIND TO OTHERS its not about ME ME ME Im in my "bubble" as one lady posts....take a compliment and move on, be proud you are doing good work enough to make someone notice what if we were all stuck in a building together and HAD to chat with each other......would you stay in your "bubble" if you don't like interacting with your fellow man, STAY INSIDE in a COCCOON in a "bubble" don't answer the phone, work from home

ONE DAY you WILL be old and yes DECREPPED then youd only pray for the days when you looked good and someone would compliment you again

ENJOY life, don't take it so seriously.....make friends!!! DESPITE what you convince yourself, NONE of us have too many friends

case in point

I asked God once to keep me safe from all my enemies and I started losing friends

DONT KID YOURSELF into thinking ALL I NEED is my husband or my wife and that's ALL I need in this world...ONE DAY...they could be gone, maybe not even leaving, MAYBE DYING!! THEN WHAT?

youre lonely, you need to talk, you call all the people who USED to try and be your friend, they've moved on...they don't want anything to do with you
    just sayin

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

You mad bro?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I disagree respectfully.....Im not talking STALKING Im there to workout too but a compliment on how someone looks should be like a VISA UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED Havent you ever read the bble, BE KIND TO OTHERS its not about ME ME ME Im in my "bubble" as one lady posts....take a compliment and move on, be proud you are doing good work enough to make someone notice what if we were all stuck in a building together and HAD to chat with each other......would you stay in your "bubble" if you don't like interacting with your fellow man, STAY INSIDE in a COCCOON in a "bubble" don't answer the phone, work from home

case in point

just sayin

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

You mad bro?

maybe he's decrepped.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So....

I have come full circle from my original post. I had originally said 'leave me alone, I am here to work out, notice my ear-buds and the Scorpions music leaking out'.

I did a little social experiment today when I went with the people that I see all of the time. Chatted with 3 that I see all of the time and all 3 were glad to chat briefly between sets.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT going to turn in to the 'mayor of my gym' but it was an interesting social experiment.

Best!
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So many negatives. A blind approach is always awkward. You could always try it another way. Ask about her diet and exercise program. When she asks why?, tell the truth. You admire the success she appears to be enjoying and would like to know her secret. I see nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't agree more with this!!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Alright maybe i'm a freak in this whole conversation.

I think as much as people say "oh i'm uncomfortable with myself etc etc. and I wouldn't want someone complimenting me..." I think everyone enjoys it. It's a small ego boost. As long as the compliment is not overly done what wrong with it? A nice "hey that was awesome just though i'd let you know" is sweet and sufficient. Sometimes people have ulterior motives I get you but in the end it really doesn't matter?

If a creepy individual is like "hey........................how you doing I like what i'm seeing blah blah" - that's a creep but hey compliment! small weird ego boost.

I know I like to compliment people especially if I see people who are really working hard and you see a gain that's sick. Any kind of accomplishment should be noticed. I do not compliment big burly bro grunters. I do compliment women and men of all kinds.

When I compliment men i'm like "Hey that was kinda cool could you show me that?" They're pretty willing to talk and help

When I compliment women - Normally i'll compliment shoes because i'm obsessed with shoes. I'll also comment on the badassery of women. I recently complimented a lady that i saw that was killing some pull ups and i'm fairly certain i gawked because of how marvelous it was. I went up to her and was like "That.....was awesome. How did you do that and how can i do that!" She was totally cool about it.

I also make sure to never take more than 2 minutes of a person's time because like everyone has said here (mine as well) that your time is precious.

Also in fairness - I have been complimented in the gym and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I would rather people be more open in the gym than angry sour pusses.

Meow.
  • NZ61RL
    NZ61RL Posts: 69
    Options
    Well I've generally turned into one of these people that really doesn't give a **** what people think when I talk!

I would say something to her, not over do it come off like a lesbian! I'd ask her what she's doing and what weight she was before.

Who knows she might have been really overweight and you saying something would have made her feel so much better. I think it's best to just say what you think, there's too many hidden opportunities and " I should have and what if" situations!!

Just do it, just say "sorry, I hope you don't mind I just wanted to tell you that you look great, what have you been going?"

I don't think it's creepy, it is if a guy came up and said it. Id be calling a few mates then.. Haha!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am very introverted and keep to myself and would probably feel awkward if someone complimented me at the gym. Some people adore praise and compliments and it really motivates them!
  • NZ61RL
    NZ61RL Posts: 69
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am very introverted and keep to myself and would probably feel awkward if someone complimented me at the gym. Some people adore praise and compliments and it really motivates them!

Absolutely true!!
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    I give the nod of approval.

542.gif

HAHA! Love this!