lol thought this pic parodied feminism well(Women only pls)

Options

Replies

• kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Uhh first problem is that this isn't parodying feminism. Feminism is the strive for gender equality in society today. This seems to be a parody of the body acceptance movement.
    Odd choice of name, then.
    I'd expect it to be 'equalitism' or something, then. (There is a specific word for this I think, I forget what.)

As it is, feminism mostly seems to be push for women to have more rights, regardless of those that men have.

Oh and stop with the objectifying burgers, please. There's more to a burger than how it looks!

There is more than one type of feminism nowadays and many of those branches don't push for more rights for women but for equality and against the ideal of what the OP (and others) might call alpha as the only acceptable personality type of men. The term feminism was coined when women had much less rights than nowadays and most people kept the name. Fighting for gender equality often means fighting for women's rights. But many feminists also got that just by changing the ideal women have to conform to you can not achieve equality. There has to be a wider range of acceptable choices (like being a stay at home dad) for men, too. And many of us opt for the freedom to be authentic both for men and women (and other gender) and that implies structural, legal, cultural changes.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    How did this go from feminism to gay bashing? :cry:

Either way...op....Stuff like this doesn't bother me. I could care less what society's standards are when it comes to the "perfect" body. As for feminism, I don't see the connection. Yes, I get the parallel with body image, however I don't think it's anything for women to get their backs up over.

Im glad to finally see some reasonable responses from some of the women.

Beyond what you (and others) just mentioned about the parallel with body image is that the burgers also have a multi layered meaning such as (as opposed to the "when did this become hot" pics) the very notion of the whole concept is you shouldn't be focused on something that destroys you and your family in the first place.

The burger destroys you.

You are fighting for the comfortable indulgence of your self centered pleasure at the expense of destruction, (whether you realize it or not, it is a sociological byproduct of the feminist agenda) and the balance of relationships, tolerance, family, and the well being of society and the family unit.

Furthermore there is more allegory: in that the person is so focused on the self, they are missing the whole point of marketing basics and logistical logic of aesthetics, because they are so sick, and they need to control the whole universe around them to, to break it, at the whim of their 1st world entitlement just to feel comfortable in their addiction. To feed in peace, on their self centered cravings. To feed their insecurities in peace.

The ridiculousness of asking businesses to change effective marketing tactics just so you don't feel bad becomes more comical when you replace people with inconsequential burgers. And the burgers representing a manifestation of the self destruction of insecurity.

Beyond that there is even more allegory...

And beyond that is another pile of crap masking as deep thought.

Wrong. Deep Thought's response would be 42.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Either way...op....Stuff like this doesn't bother me. I could care less what society's standards are when it comes to the "perfect" body. As for feminism, I don't see the connection. Yes, I get the parallel with body image, however I don't think it's anything for women to get their backs up over.

Beyond what you (and others) just mentioned about the parallel with body image is that the burgers also have a multi layered meaning such as (as opposed to the "when did this become hot" pics) the very notion of the whole concept is you shouldn't be focused on something that destroys you and your family in the first place.

The burger destroys you.

You are fighting for the comfortable indulgence of your self centered pleasure at the expense of destruction, (whether you realize it or not, it is a sociological byproduct of the feminist agenda) and the balance of relationships, tolerance, family, and the well being of society and the family unit.

Furthermore there is more allegory: in that the person is so focused on the self, they are missing the whole point of marketing basics and logistical logic of aesthetics, because they are so sick, and they need to control the whole universe around them to, to break it, at the whim of their 1st world entitlement just to feel comfortable in their addiction. To feed in peace, on their self centered cravings. To feed their insecurities in peace.

The ridiculousness of asking businesses to change effective marketing tactics just so you don't feel bad becomes more comical when you replace people with inconsequential burgers. And the burgers representing a manifestation of the self destruction of insecurity.

... every time you post... you make LESS sense. i'm not sure you really know what you're trying to say.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I came across it and I loled hard.

ft5xBrll.jpg

How would those of you who are feminist respond to the paradox of this criticism? Just curious. I thought the analogy really fleshed out the parallels between the media and self perception in a well played manner. It was quite the zinger in my opinion haha.

They both look like McD's burgers. Blech!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So OP.....when is your bb.com ban up?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Beautiful:

onion-burger-ck-665198-l.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I came across it and I loled hard.

ft5xBrll.jpg

How would those of you who are feminist respond to the paradox of this criticism? Just curious. I thought the analogy really fleshed out the parallels between the media and self perception in a well played manner. It was quite the zinger in my opinion haha.

I'd eat either burger. Both even.

Thing is... as much as the burger on the left gets me craving McDonalds... and wanting a cheeseburger from there. I can taste it now. When I get to unwrapping it, however, I do not expect to see that same burger. I expect the one on the right, because everyone knows that the one on the left is unrealistic. No one would be disappointed to have the burger on the right, if they're craving McDs burgers... because they know what they taste like and that's all that matters.

The pic looks good... but we all know that real burgers don't look like that.

I just hope my husband feels the same way about his McD's "unwrapping". :embarassed:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    article-2284763-184E2A14000005DC-703_308x359.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I feel like writing an impassioned letter to bb.com asking them to lift it ASAP.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This I can agree with. While I don't agree with the OP, I don't ever think its okay to use gay as an insult ever.
    So, out of interest, what IS acceptable to use as an insult?
    [/quote]

In all honesty that is a really good question. All insults would hurt a specific group of people. If you insult them by their intelligence you are offending those whom are not intelligent or suffer from a mental disability which might affecting their learning ability (like my younger brother), if you insult their body you are offending those whom might either be too skinny or too fat. So to be honest I cant really answer that question.
  • emtbabe326
    Options
    10/10 would eat both burgers

^^^this 10/20 would bang, spank and marry
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

You're saying "don't pay attention to the burgers that shouldn't be advertised because they are unrealistic"? You're saying that hamburgers that look tasty destroy families in the same way that photoshopped pictures of women destroy . . . what, self-image? You don't think that's a stretch at all?

Tell you what. I'm going remove the expository, meaningless words and asides and distill the sentence to its essence. Track with me here:

"the burgers have a multi layered meaning such as you shouldn't be focused on something that destroys you and your family."

That's what's left after we cut out the meaninglessness and asides in that screed. Is that what the burgers mean?

You are fighting for your self centered pleasure at the expense of destruction, (whether you realize it or not, it is a byproduct of the feminist agenda) the the balance of relationships, tolerance, family, and the well being of society and the family unit.

Can you please clarify for us your understanding of the feminist agenda? Seriously you just said that self-centrism is a byproduct of feminism.

So feminism is comical ("lol thought this pic parodied feminism well") because feminists ask advertisers to change advertising tactics? Is that your contention?
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    As feminist I find this completely offensive.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    28053e68124984203cab52c238c0dbe62225a9c473a81b281aa0046ae2e4897f.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm no fan of the OP's, but some of comments in this thread are over the line. Being gay is not a insult, and it's a little nauseating that so many people seem to think it's a hilarious way to bash the OP.

i didn't know he was. i don't support bashing of any kind except justin bieber, miley cryus, lady gaga. i just don't like them. plus he went after some of us over the JB topic first.if you looked. it over. we have a right to talk about famous people exspecial when they do dump stuff.i could careless about the colour of your skin or what team you play for it doesn't affect me i support egual rights for every one

you forgot nikki minaj. it's okay. she suck too. we won't call you wacist. GET OFF OUR LAWNS!!! All youze kids!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Dude brah, do you even lift? *puts on fedora and rides off into the sunset*
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There is more than one type of feminism nowadays and many of those branches don't push for more rights for women but for equality and against the ideal of what the OP (and others) might call alpha as the only acceptable personality type of men. The term feminism was coined when women had much less rights than nowadays and most people kept the name. Fighting for gender equality often means fighting for women's rights. But many feminists also got that just by changing the ideal women have to conform to you can not achieve equality. There has to be a wider range of acceptable choices (like being a stay at home dad) for men, too. And many of us opt for the freedom to be authentic both for men and women (and other gender) and that implies structural, legal, cultural changes.
    Why would these people fighting purely for equality use a term that very clearly is not 'equal' and suggests a significant bias towards one sex?
    Shouldn't they be fighting AGAINST just such things?

Why do we not see women fighting for similar ideals for men as well?
    It would seem that the he-man, six-pack at 5% fat cover model, steroid-taking moving start 'ideals' put forward for men should be fought against as well if it really WAS about equality?

Nice honest answer, at least, Dragonfly :).

Next question - what if a gay person uses the insult on another person (whether the other person is gay or not may or may not be of significance)? Would that be ok?
    :)
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As feminist I find this completely offensive.

As a feminist, I find it completely stupid. It's not worth getting offended over.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

The burger destroys you.

... every time you post... you make LESS sense. i'm not sure you really know what you're trying to say.

Yikes...I was thinking the same thing. My point was that it's not worth my time to care about what some stupid ad is trying to say. The burger doesn't destroy anything. The fact that someone could get so caught up in trying to analyze this ad is what is destructive.
This discussion has been closed.