PARENTING FAIL, big time . . .

Options

Replies

• SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. We also have a grandma that does what makes HER feel good without regard for the stress it causes our family. Inappropriate foods. Inappropriate toys. Inappropriate clothes.

Our guilty-grandma just got the "don't buy before asking" lecture this morning.

I'm sorry that you and your son are going through this but I'm sorry to say that I doubt that grandma will "get it" just because your son cried.

If you find anything that helps get the message across, let me know. In so many, many, many ways, my parents (and their other grandparents) are fantastic - but the tendency to overindulge drives me bonkers.

EPIPHANY: Maybe she thinks I'm depriving them and is trying to compensate. I think I'll let her know what treats they've already had during the day, or during the week, or planned for later before I leave them! :smile:

I feel bad to write this but grandma over-stepped our family's boundaries twice yesterday. First, she decided that SHE would help my Kindergartener make her class valentines without discussing it with me first. And then she bought one of my daughters new shoes, which meant that from 6:00 - 7:30 a.m. this morning, I had a heart-broken 3-year old. So my husband called her at 6:30 a.m. and let her talk to our despondent children over the phone..

Later, my husband spoke to grandma again and she was crying. Yes, I'm sorry that she was so upset. She's really a nice lady and very generous and kind BUT we are the parents and we make the decisions. Her title of "GRANDMA" doesn't give her the right to undo our hard work whether it's regarding food (OMG the gazillion grams of sugar in e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g AND no, I don't care if it's organic sugar or faux-sugar) or clothes or toys or language used or ANYTHING...

IMHO, these posts are generally about the bigger picture of RESPECT and not so much that we thing our children will die because they gained an ounce.

You must have missed the previous posts from OP... it's been linked to by several people, find it and read it.

Also, I feel so sorry for your children's grandmother. If she is undoing all your "hard work", it probably means you are using her as free childcare a lot. Cause the occasional trip wouldn't have an undoing effect.

No, I didn't miss the last post about everyone jacking her kids full of sugar without asking her first. Yes, boundary-stompers is what we call those.

No, I don't use my in-laws for babysitters EVER. They have the audacity to undermine my parenting while in my company. But like theorizing.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. We also have a grandma that does what makes HER feel good without regard for the stress it causes our family. Inappropriate foods. Inappropriate toys. Inappropriate clothes.

I'm sorry that you and your son are going through this but I'm sorry to say that I doubt that grandma will "get it" just because your son cried.

If you find anything that helps get the message across, let me know. In so many, many, many ways, my parents (and their other grandparents) are fantastic - but the tendency to overindulge drives me bonkers.

EPIPHANY: Maybe she thinks I'm depriving them and is trying to compensate. I think I'll let her know what treats they've already had during the day, or during the week, or planned for later before I leave them! :smile:

I feel bad to write this but grandma over-stepped our family's boundaries twice yesterday. First, she decided that SHE would help my Kindergartener make her class valentines without discussing it with me first. And then she bought one of my daughters new shoes, which meant that from 6:00 - 7:30 a.m. this morning, I had a heart-broken 3-year old. So my husband called her at 6:30 a.m. and let her talk to our despondent children over the phone..

Later, my husband spoke to grandma again and she was crying. Yes, I'm sorry that she was so upset. She's really a nice lady and very generous and kind BUT we are the parents and we make the decisions. Her title of "GRANDMA" doesn't give her the right to undo our hard work whether it's regarding food (OMG the gazillion grams of sugar in e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g AND no, I don't care if it's organic sugar or faux-sugar) or clothes or toys or language used or ANYTHING...

IMHO, these posts are generally about the bigger picture of RESPECT and not so much that we thing our children will die because they gained an ounce.

You must have missed the previous posts from OP... it's been linked to by several people, find it and read it.

Also, I feel so sorry for your children's grandmother. If she is undoing all your "hard work", it probably means you are using her as free childcare a lot. Cause the occasional trip wouldn't have an undoing effect.

No, I didn't miss the last post about everyone jacking her kids full of sugar without asking her first. Yes, boundary-stompers is what we call those.

No, I don't use my in-laws for babysitters EVER. They have the audacity to undermine my parenting while in my company. But like theorizing.

And yet, with you there they managed buy shoes and make a craft.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

When I first started reading your post I thought you were being sarcastic.
    When I realized you were serious, I started feeling sorry for your children and their grandmother.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Sigh. This thread again? I thought someone dug up another zombie thread.

Replace your child with cauliflower.
    Problem solved.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Problem solved.

Rachel-McAdams-I-love-you-gif.gif
  • dayone987
    Options

Problem solved.

lol
  • SummerIsis
    Options

Good point. No, I wasn't there for the Valentine's and shoes. My kids are fortunate enough to have grandparents that live in town and want to spend every Friday with them. It's not a baby-sitting situation -- it's me letting my kids spend their Friday with their grandparents.

My comment about undoing my hard work was directly related to food, not crafts or clothes. That was not clear at all.
    Wow...Did the gma know making valentines and buying shoes were against the rules and breaking family boundaries? Do your kids feet grow at the same rate or is gma so vindictive she buys shoes needlessly for one child and treats the other poorly? Either there is a lot of information missing in the dynamics of your family relationships or our definition of what constitutes a gma overstepping her bounds are radically different. Good luck navigating the waters if things continue to escalate.

No, grandma didn't know that it was inappropriate for her to make my daughter's classroom Valentine's in January with her rather than me because SHE DIDN'T ASK! (And I'm pretty sure that she didn't ask because she knows that I want to do that with my daughter.)

I wouldn't call my MIL vindictive and she doesn't treat either of my children poorly -- she doesn't consider how a 3-year old may feel if her big sister gets new shoes and she doesn't. It's heartbreaking for her. She feels less loved. It's a big issue. And it's a mess that I don't feel that I should have to wake up and deal with at 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning because my MIL needed my daughter to have new shoes. God knows my daughter doesn't need MORE new shoes.

Thank you for the support regarding navigating the waters. Fortunately, my husband and I are a team and he handles the parental drama. And I'm too busy with three kids under the age of five to get so bent that I'll make an issue of it. But yes, we've seen dark days.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Just in to save. Wanna watch the train wreck a little more.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

How dare she!?! I bet that evil woman lies awake at night thinking of the ways she can undo your parenting. I mean, what's next? Will she come over and clean your kitchen? Maybe you could be thankful that Grandma is alive and your kids get to know her or that Grandma cares enough to spend time with her grandchildren. A lot of children miss out on the blessings of having grandparents.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    to-err-is-human-to-blame-it-on-someone-else-shows-management-potential.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Good point. No, I wasn't there for the Valentine's and shoes. My kids are fortunate enough to have grandparents that live in town and want to spend every Friday with them. It's not a baby-sitting situation -- it's me letting my kids spend their Friday with their grandparents.

My comment about undoing my hard work was directly related to food, not crafts or clothes. That was not clear at all.
    Wow...Did the gma know making valentines and buying shoes were against the rules and breaking family boundaries? Do your kids feet grow at the same rate or is gma so vindictive she buys shoes needlessly for one child and treats the other poorly? Either there is a lot of information missing in the dynamics of your family relationships or our definition of what constitutes a gma overstepping her bounds are radically different. Good luck navigating the waters if things continue to escalate.

No, grandma didn't know that it was inappropriate for her to make my daughter's classroom Valentine's in January with her rather than me because SHE DIDN'T ASK! (And I'm pretty sure that she didn't ask because she knows that I want to do that with my daughter.)

I wouldn't call my MIL vindictive and she doesn't treat either of my children poorly -- she doesn't consider how a 3-year old may feel if her big sister gets new shoes and she doesn't. It's heartbreaking for her. She feels less loved. It's a big issue. And it's a mess that I don't feel that I should have to wake up and deal with at 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning because my MIL needed my daughter to have new shoes. God knows my daughter doesn't need MORE new shoes.

Thank you for the support regarding navigating the waters. Fortunately, my husband and I are a team and he handles the parental drama. And I'm too busy with three kids under the age of five to get so bent that I'll make an issue of it. But yes, we've seen dark days.

Bold and fancy.

If somebody watches your children the same day, every single week -- that IS a childcare situation. I live next door to my parents. We are close and I own a business with my dad -- they love my daughter immensely -- they do not watch her that frequently. Why? Because it's a lot.

Whether you want to recognize it or not -- your in laws are giving you a huge break most people don't get unless they pay for it.

And who care if she made Valentine's with your daughter? It's not like there is a one Valentine's project a year limit.

As to the shoes, does she never buy things for the younger child and not the older? And as the mother of a 4 year old, she would have NO idea if granny bought her cousin something and not her, unless an adult pointed it out.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    On my way over to Gramma's (where Gramma watches my daughter while I go to school) at 730 AM, post breakfast at home, my little girl says "After you leave, Gramma asks me if I want to have more breakfast." Other Gramma has TOLD me that unless it hurts her, she never tells my daughter no. Sooo, she shows me some pics on her phone one day and I scroll through some...find one of my little girl eating Oreos time stamped at 8 something IN THE MORNING! And she proceeds to tell me that she ate an entire row of Oreos that day.

What is it with grandparents doing this???

That being said...I'll probably do it too.
  • SummerIsis
    Options

How dare she!?! I bet that evil woman lies awake at night thinking of the ways she can undo your parenting. I mean, what's next? Will she come over and clean your kitchen? Maybe you could be thankful that Grandma is alive and your kids get to know her or that Grandma cares enough to spend time with her grandchildren. A lot of children miss out on the blessings of having grandparents.

Oh yeah, heaven forbid I get annoyed with grandma because she's not dead.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Wow.
  • SummerIsis
    Options

Bold and fancy.

If somebody watches your children the same day, every single week -- that IS a childcare situation. I live next door to my parents. We are close and I own a business with my dad -- they love my daughter immensely -- they do not watch her that frequently. Why? Because it's a lot.

Whether you want to recognize it or not -- your in laws are giving you a huge break most people don't get unless they pay for it.

And who care if she made Valentine's with your daughter? It's not like there is a one Valentine's project a year limit.

As to the shoes, does she never buy things for the younger child and not the older? And as the mother of a 4 year old, she would have NO idea if granny bought her cousin something and not her, unless an adult pointed it out.

The reason this is not childcare is because it's not to help me. If I pulled back, I'd be the *kitten*. I accommodate their needs on this, not mine. Call it what you want but I live it and I know exactly what it is.

I care that this is my daughter's first year in school and I wanted to help her make Valentine's for her classmates.

No, she tends to buy only for the older daughter and my younger daughter is just now figuring it out. And no, she's not going to NOT NOTICE when her sister puts on new shoes. She's not blind or stupid.
  • dayone987
    Options

You're annoyed with Grandma because she did a craft with your daughter and bought her shoes. I hope someday soon you will realize how ridiculous that sounds.

If your three year old is heartbroken and feels less loved because her big sister got some shoes,she has issues beyond what grandma does or doesn't do.

edit to add
    you said
    I care that this is my daughter's first year in school and I wanted to help her make Valentine's for her classmates.

So, it's about you, not about your daughter's happiness or her spending time with Grandma doing fun stuff.
    Got it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow.

That's exactly my response when I read that.
  • SummerIsis
    Options

You're annoyed with Grandma because she did a craft with your daughter and bought her shoes. I hope someday soon you will realize how ridiculous that sounds.

If your three year old is heartbroken and feels less loved because her big sister got some shoes,she has issues beyond what grandma does or doesn't do.

I'm guessing that you're not a mother.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I need grandchildren.
    I didn't screw my own kids up enough.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Blimey there are a lot of up tight people in this world. Relax there are worse things out there
This discussion has been closed.