So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Modus omnibus in rebus, soror, optimum est habitu;
    Nimia omnia nimium exhibent negotium hominibus ex se.

In everything the middle course is best: all things in excess bring trouble to men.

~Plautus, Pænulus, I. 2. 29.

Good advice for 200BC, still good advice...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Pretty sobering evidence on sugar is now in:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/sugar-damages-the-bodys-organs-directly-new-findings-suggest/article16664804

“The new paradigm hypothesizes that sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” Laura Schmidt, a researcher at the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California San Francisco writes in the journal. “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

A hypothesis is a theory. What study proves everything this article is stating? I don't get it, I was expecting to see proof.
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hypothesis_vs_Theory
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    another article from The Globe and Mail:
    "Sugar is the New Tobacco"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/sugar-is-the-new-tobacco-heres-why/article16571374/

A quote from this gem:
    "Knowing that there are now more obese people in the world than there are starving must motivate some change. The apple cart is well and truly upset: A predictive study published in 2008 by Harvard and MIT researchers suggests that, if we continue the current numbers trend in North America, it is believed that 100 per cent of the population will be overweight or obese by 2050."

"it is believed?" yeah, that's solid right there.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Let's not get our panties too much in a bunch over this.

2000 cals * 1/4 = 500 cals of ADDED sugar.

500 cals /4 cal/gram = 125 grams.

125 grams of sugar = 1/2 cup of sugar, or around 24 teaspoons!

That's a lot... Just saying... Cant' see how anybody can say that's a good thing...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone who posts these articles believe that correlation equals causation?

headdesk.gif

Now I'm going to bed.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Why does everyone who posts these articles believe that correlation equals causation?

headdesk.gif

Now I'm going to bed.

hey now... is that directed at me?? :laugh:
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Because there was no reference to the primary research. And a quick search of PubMed netted me zilch.
    Umm, wut? They stated the author, the journal and the date of publication. But if that's not enough for you, here is the link:

https://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Let's not get our panties too much in a bunch over this.

2000 cals * 1/4 = 500 cals of ADDED sugar.

500 cals /4 cal/gram = 125 grams.

125 grams of sugar = 1/2 cup of sugar, or around 24 teaspoons!

That's a lot... Just saying... Cant' see how anybody can say that's a good thing...
    Your wait won't be long.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pretty sobering evidence on sugar is now in:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/sugar-damages-the-bodys-organs-directly-new-findings-suggest/article16664804

“The new paradigm hypothesizes that sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” Laura Schmidt, a researcher at the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California San Francisco writes in the journal. “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

In plain English, sugar is not just bad because it has a lot of calories, it is bad because it "damages the body’s organs directly".

The remaining question is, how much sugar is safe. And the answer is not at all clear.

"The U.S. Institute of Medicine recommends that people not consume more than 25 per cent of their daily calories in added sugars. The World Health Organization, for its part, sets the threshold at 10 per cent. But the American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than five per cent of their daily calories from sugar, and men not exceed 7.5 per cent."

The upper end of this range (25% of daily calories) is obviously a LOT of sugar. But the lower end of 5%-7.5% is really not that high at all.

And it's worth emphasizing that they are talking about added sugars - not about the sugar you naturally get in fruit, for example.

There have been a lot of heated arguments about the safety of sugar on these boards. It's getting to the point where the science is clear enough that most of us will want to watch our sugar in the same way as, say, we watch our intake of sodium or polyunsaturated fat.

Well, at least we agree on the bolded. I think watching my sugar is exactly as important as watching sodium and polyunsaturated fat- that is to say, not at all important. Because science.

^this

...and in.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

headdesk.gif

Now I'm going to bed.

Not at all... I just wanted to work those murderous sugar doughnuts into the thread. :wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

headdesk.gif

Now I'm going to bed.

Not at all... I just wanted to work those murderous sugar doughnuts into the thread. :wink:

Im still waiting for Lish or Mirey to send me Timbits.
    Or your wife to send me some of thay failed cupcake thing
  • DamePiglet
    Options

headdesk.gif

Now I'm going to bed.

Great. Now I want donuts and I'm gonna die. Because something like science. Thanks a lot. :grumble:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Because there was no reference to the primary research. And a quick search of PubMed netted me zilch.
    Umm, wut? They stated the author, the journal and the date of publication. But if that's not enough for you, here is the link:

https://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573

Thanks for the link. A search for the author's name at JAMA IM doesn't actually turn up anything, and it's not in the table of contents for the latest issue online. Interesting.

Anyway I don't have a login and that journal isn't available through my library. I'd like to see what factors they used as adjustments.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it matters. Cigarettes have a warning label on the box that says they'll kill you, people still smoke. Illegal drugs kill people everyday from overdose, but it doesn't stop someone else from overdosing the next day. This is sugar. People are not going to stop eating sugar because excess causes obesity or somebody has a hypothesis that it makes us "sick."

The horse is dead. Stop beating it and have a modest slice of cake. It won't kill you. :tongue:
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    From the JAMA article:
    After additional adjustment for sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics, HRs were 1.00 (reference), 1.07 (1.02-1.12), 1.18 (1.06-1.31), 1.38 (1.11-1.70), and 2.03 (1.26-3.27; P = .004), respectively.
    So either: (1) sugar is a causal factor, or (2) cardio-vascular disease causes sugar consumption, or (3) there is some factor not included in the above that causes both.

Which do you think is most likely?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    But, but, but! Bananas and peaches and pears...

And that's not to mention the cookies, cakes, and the nectar of the gods... Dr Pepper.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    From the JAMA article:
    After additional adjustment for sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics, HRs were 1.00 (reference), 1.07 (1.02-1.12), 1.18 (1.06-1.31), 1.38 (1.11-1.70), and 2.03 (1.26-3.27; P = .004), respectively.
    So either: (1) sugar is a causal factor, or (2) cardio-vascular disease causes sugar consumption, or (3) there is some factor not included in the above that causes both.

Probably 3. They attempted to adjust the results for a few things, but not a whole lot really. The content of the remainder of the diet and body composition are two big ones.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    From the JAMA article:

(4) We're going to eat it anyway.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    gus-psyche-popcorn.gif

Anyone wanna tuck me in?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it matters. Cigarettes have a warning label on the box that says they'll kill you, people still smoke. Illegal drugs kill people everyday from overdose, but it doesn't stop someone else from overdosing the next day. This is sugar. People are not going to stop eating sugar because excess causes obesity or somebody has a hypothesis that it makes us "sick."

The horse is dead. Stop beating it and have a modest slice of cake. It won't kill you. :tongue:

I'm in for the cake :flowerforyou: