So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

I can't even start with this

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

What specific FDA approvals would it fail?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And then there is this... Did you know that cancer cells love sugar? It's true.

http://normaleating.com/blog/2012/05/sugar-is-toxic-causes-heart-disease-cancer-more/

Imagine that.. fast-growing cells love sources of energy.

They also love complete proteins too. Amazing.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I home cooked using honey. It's much better for you than white sugar or even brown sugar. But I also cut the sugar in 1/2 of what the recipe called for. Didn't use it very often either. Only on special occasions. Never missed it either.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    And then there is this... Did you know that cancer cells love sugar? It's true.

http://normaleating.com/blog/2012/05/sugar-is-toxic-causes-heart-disease-cancer-more/

Duh! All of our cells love sugar (glucose). It's what they run on. Even the ones who get their programming messed up (cancer cells).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

so... you deliberately set your child up with a bad relationship with food, and you think that's a win?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I home cooked using honey. It's much better for you than white sugar or even brown sugar. But I also cut the sugar in 1/2 of what the recipe called for. Didn't use it very often either. Only on special occasions. Never missed it either.

Honey - honey is made of sugar. Didn't the bees tell you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I think it's clear she knows literally nothing about the FDA approval process.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)
    Sugar does not rot your teeth.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

What ever tests a product has to go through to be approved for human consumption. Not a safe product.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What ever tests a product has to go through to be approved for human consumption. Not a safe product.

Sounds like you're well-versed in food safety law and FDA approval procedures.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

But honey is a safe product? Even though it is made of one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose? The same as sucrose (table sugar)?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    A: Sugar would fail FDA tests.
    B: What tests?
    A: ALL TEH TESTZ!!1!eleven!!1
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

See. All the info proving the point I was trying to make. None of the work.

Though I'm pretty sure we were refining sugar before the US was founded
    All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

But honey is a safe product? Even though it is made of one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose? The same as sucrose (table sugar)?

Your science has no place in this debate.

NO PLACE!
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Rinse, lather, repeat.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    Please see the meme I posted earlier in this thread ref. the term "FDA approvals." It applies even more here than where I posted it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

All Countries life expectancy went up just not the US.........lately though the US's world ranking has dropped from if I remember correctly, 11th place not too many years ago to 42 or around there.......basically not good comparatively speaking.

Any chance this is caused by obesity from excess consumption > activity?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Honey - honey is made of sugar. Didn't the bees tell you?

Regurgitated sugar at that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

That doesn't answer my question at all. I'm asking what specifically is the danger that would cause it to fail the approval process. You must have one or more specific risks you've assessed to make this judgement.

What about new sugar products that come out and pass FDA approval? Agave nectar is relatively new. It goes through a chemical process very similar to the one used to make HFCS from corn. It's not JUST refined sugar, it's SUPER refined sugar, converted to about 90% fructose (whereas the HFCS in food products is only 55% fructose, table sugar is 50/50 glucose/fructose). How did that pass?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

image1_7.png

Any chance this is caused by obesity from excess consumption > activity?
    I don't live in the States but I found this. It's not from sugar though.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13497