WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Let's stop obesity, cure AIDS, malaria, cancer, heart disease, and stop people from drunk driving and end gun violence. Then the population will explode and everyone will starve to death.

well then we can give out free condoms and abortions ...oh wait, we already do that...
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "unbiased". It's your biases that cause you to discount the message you didn't want to hear.

We all have biases. When you can follow the research in spite of your own personal bias... and change your preconceived notions... that's when you're on to something.

Hey I spoke the same party line as you did 18 months ago. Follow the facts. You will be surprised where it leads. Start with the movie Forks Over Knives.

Start with more propaganda? A video from a doctor who is known to simply cherry pick information and ignore studies that don't mesh with his theory, is not substantiation of your nonsense

Point of correction, Dr. Greger had nothing to do with Forks Over Knives.

You are right on party line. Whatever you think is right.

My original point was education. You seem to be reasonably educated to your point of view, and have a set opinion.

And yet you sound like you don't actually know what causes heart disease, the leading cause of death in the U.S. I could be wrong about you, by the way.

This is the problem. There is a huge economic machine behind everyone believing that meat, dairy, and eggs have absolutely nothing to do with heart disease, so these industries fund studies/research that support their point of view, and cloud the causes.

And people easily buy into this because they don't like the message. They don't want to know that bacon and eggs will kill them when they are older. And so it goes.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The government has never fixed anything, why would this be any different???
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Obesity... the laziest form of population control.

Leave people alone and let it "roll" :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "unbiased". It's your biases that cause you to discount the message you didn't want to hear.

We all have biases. When you can follow the research in spite of your own personal bias... and change your preconceived notions... that's when you're on to something.

Hey I spoke the same party line as you did 18 months ago. Follow the facts. You will be surprised where it leads. Start with the movie Forks Over Knives.

Start with more propaganda? A video from a doctor who is known to simply cherry pick information and ignore studies that don't mesh with his theory, is not substantiation of your nonsense

Point of correction, Dr. Greger had nothing to do with Forks Over Knives.

You are right on party line. Whatever you think is right.

My original point was education. You seem to be reasonably educated to your point of view, and have a set opinion.

And yet you sound like you don't actually know what causes heart disease, the leading cause of death in the U.S. I could be wrong about you, by the way.

This is the problem. There is a huge economic machine behind everyone believing that meat, dairy, and eggs have absolutely nothing to do with heart disease, so these industries fund studies/research that support their point of view, and cloud the causes.

And people easily buy into this because they don't like the message. They don't want to know that bacon and eggs will kill them when they are older. And so it goes.

The original link you posted from his site

But the studies that Greger cites, must be totally on point?

Again please substantiate your nonsense that meat, dairy and eggs will be killing people when they get older. Not a video from a biased site, or propaganda masquerading as a documentary
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Its crap..
    when ever you ask Big Brother to watch over you. its not a good thing.
    People need to protect themselfs...

Should we get rid of the stop signs? Let Smirnoff market a "Vodka for Kids" brand?

We've got a million little rules designed to make the system run more smoothly, and most of them are pretty sensible. I'm not saying we need to outlaw the cheeseburger, but surely there are some practical things that could be done to reverse obesity rates.

Name three. Don't worry, I'll wait.

1) Schools. Example: Including effective, practical, evidence-based nutrition and fitness education in schools. Health programs currently existing in schools are incredibly outdated and ineffective, and much more effective alternatives have been demonstrated. They're simply not implemented.

2) Public infrastructure. Example: Remove barriers to and increase acceptability of alternative transportation strategies. Many simple, easy changes (such as better bike lanes and reorganizing and renovating bus/subway systems) have been shown to have significant effects on daily activity levels and health.

3) Advertising. Example: significant restrictions on the foods allowed to be marketed directly to children. There is real evidence that limiting advertising to children decreases consumption of high-calorie foods such as sugary cereals.

There is a ton that governments (from local to federal) can do to actually make an impact on obesity rates.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Man we have thrown a lot of money at education, and we ain't doing so good....just sayin.

Roads and infrastructure.....something setup in our constitution and fine for the government to do.
    No problem there for me.

Advertising....hmm....yeah, cause I don't see teens smoking or drinking or doing drugs.....
    so that is working so well
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    “Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
    ― Ron Paul
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
    Ron Paul

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolf Hitler
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEhlEsaJxW7gjqVF8stORRnh4R0ILYcDh4jGgj1U7YhXv05xMw

Who's to say that we aren't exactly where the government wants us?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Man we have thrown a lot of money at education, and we ain't doing so good....just sayin.

Roads and infrastructure.....something setup in our constitution and fine for the government to do.
    No problem there for me.

Advertising....hmm....yeah, cause I don't see teens smoking or drinking or doing drugs.....

Teens are smoking and drinking a lot less than they used to, and you would have to be incredibly ignorant of the actual history to think that government intervention has had nothing to do with that.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I think governments should use education, not regulation, to battle obesity.

THIS.

Also personal accountability. Fast food makes people fat like guns kill people.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    “Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
    ― Ron Paul
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
    Ron Paul

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolf Hitler
    968full-wall%C2%B7e-screenshot.jpg

Who's to say that we aren't exactly where the government wants us?

Ignoring the Godwin's Law invocation, you included a picture from a fictional world where unregulated food industry has created a nation of people who are almost universally fat and unregulated industry in general left the planet virtually uninhabitable. Not sure that it has quite the effect you intended.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Any time there is talk of fast food on here, I seriously want to have that for lunch.

Can I come with??

Absolutley!

Me and you then hon.

Someone else mentioned bacon and eggs, may have to go some where else:laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I think governments should use education, not regulation, to battle obesity.

THIS.

Also personal accountability. Fast food makes people fat like guns kill people.

I'm all for education. But you can't legislated or enforce personal accountability. So what do you actually do?
  • MityMax96
    Options

No problem there for me.

Teens are smoking and drinking a lot less than they used to, and you would have to be incredibly ignorant of the actual history to think that government intervention has had nothing to do with that.

So that is all because of government intervention???
    Nothing to do with private organizations or charities????
    or the fact the cost of smoking has went way up.....???
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Any time there is talk of fast food on here, I seriously want to have that for lunch.

Can I come with??

Absolutley!

Me and you then hon.

Someone else mentioned bacon and eggs, may have to go some where else:laugh:

You bring the bacon, I will cook. :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if they make healthy food more affordable people would buy that with their last dollar instead of the cheeseburger..

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

A salad is less filling then a typical fast food meal. You can make it more filling by adding nuts, cheese, bacon, tuna etc.. increasing it's price. A pepper is 1 dollar.. and those are part of my meal, if I eat just a pepper for lunch I am starving... a burger costs me a dollar and that *is* my meal. I might be hungry later, but it will fill me up now. Chicken, fish, beef, veggies are not cheap. a 5oz can of tuna fish is over a buck, and not filling. Chicken on sale is is 2 dollars a pound. 3-4 when not on sale. Beef is ridiculous. Pork is ridiculous. fish is ridiculous.

I spend a lot more on food now that I buy less processed pre-made stuff and more fresh fruit, produce and meats. I had to stop buying organic due to cost. I follow the sales. I was so excited yesterday. I got asparagus fro $1.69 a pound yesterday! (normally in the 3-5 dollar range) that's one part of 1 meal. I still have to add in meat and starch and salad. We're way over what it would cost me buy 2 burgers and a bag of fries from a fast food joint. 3 bucks on the dollar menu.

• jonnythan
    Options

No problem there for me.

So that is all because of government intervention???
    Nothing to do with private organizations or charities????
    or the fact the cost of smoking has went way up.....???

I'm pretty sure private companies didn't have anything to do with lowering smoking rates.

And increasing cost of smoking has a ton to do with it, actually. Increased cost is one of the most significant drivers of decreasing smoking rates.

Of course, the reason cigarettes cost so much these days is principally because of taxes.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I spend a lot more on food now that I buy less processed pre-made stuff and more fresh fruit, produce and meats. I had to stop buying organic due to cost. I follow the sales. I was so excited yesterday. I got asparagus fro $1.69 a pound yesterday! (normally in the 3-4 dollar range) that's one part of 1 meal. I still have to add in meat and starch and salad. We're way over what it would cost me buy 2 burgers and a bag of fries from a fast food joint. 3 bucks on the dollar menu.

There you guy...
    Never buy organic. :smile:
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Personal responsibility and self-control IS the issue...and right now, many parents don't teach it and hold kids accountable, schools can't or won't push it and so our society crumbles passing it off the the gov't to regulate.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I spend a lot more on food now that I buy less processed pre-made stuff and more fresh fruit, produce and meats. I had to stop buying organic due to cost. I follow the sales. I was so excited yesterday. I got asparagus fro $1.69 a pound yesterday! (normally in the 3-5 dollar range) that's one part of 1 meal. I still have to add in meat and starch and salad. We're way over what it would cost me buy 2 burgers and a bag of fries from a fast food joint. 3 bucks on the dollar menu.

There you guy...
    Never buy organic. :smile:

I'll go back to organic as soon as I can afford it. The asparagus price was the non-organic price, the organic price was more.