A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Calorie deficit plus exercise equals weight lose.

I suppose what we're not agreeing on is where that weight lose is coming from.

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

PS I admit I am dogmatic...don't hate me I was suppose to be a lawyer...:wink:

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

It actually really isn't...not if one's goal is purely to lose weight.

Now if one wants to lose weight AND be fit...that's a whole other story.

You'd be surprised by how many people just want to lose weight and couldn't give a fart about fitness.

Fit? That's not what this web site is about! That may be fine and dandy, but not on THIS site. This is "My Weight Loss Pal". Maybe you should start your own site. Maybe call it My Fitness.... oh. Wait a second.

:P
  • marieulon
    marieulon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing everything right. Healthy diet. Veggies, no junk food, stay at 1200 calories. Have stopped losing for a month now. Very depressing.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I am doing everything right. Healthy diet. Veggies, no junk food, stay at 1200 calories. Have stopped losing for a month now. Very depressing.

What should your calorie intake be for your size and activity. Eating too much of a deficit will slow weight loss (depending on what you're eating).

Also are you doing any resistance training?
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When you add fitness, you are just creating an excess need for calories.... so once a again a calorie is a calorie. You work out you get more, you live sedentary, your body will need less. There was the lady who ate 1200 Starbucks calories and geez, there was Jared from Subway. Veggie, processed turkey and breads, sorry CRAP, but he lost weight. You will feel sick and terrible and probably not poop, but 1200 calories of junk, you can still lose weight. I have done it. Starved all day and then binged on 1200 calories in one sitting... at night, before bed. And I still could lose. But geez in the end, lets not all turn on each other. All in it together. Some of us have an emotional connection to food and trying to find the stupid way to justify how we can sneak a "bad food" in that makes us personally feel guilty is just our struggle. I think about food everyday and constantly keep a log in my head. It is always a negotiation. Logically will only eat whole foods that everyone says and I want to believe are yummy and satisfying, but in the end the white trash girl in me is very happy with a bag of Cheetos and hostess powdered doughnuts. Now excuse me while I go massage some kale for a salad ;)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

People keep arguing (myself included) because at the heart of the matter we all agree!

Sorry couldn't help myself...even my husband said..."nope you can't let things go"

But...a calorie deficet equals weight loss...exercise is for fitness and health...cause you can't outrun a bad diet...

Okay but do you agree exercise (to any degree) is important in your weight loss.

You'd be surprised by how many people just want to lose weight and couldn't give a fart about fitness.

Fit? That's not what this web site is about! That may be fine and dandy, but not on THIS site. This is "My Weight Loss Pal". Maybe you should start your own site. Maybe call it My Fitness.... oh. Wait a second.

Visit the home page. Read how this site is marketed.
    It's not 'the cult's' fault that the marketing & name aren't exactly the same.

Talk about going ape *kitten*. C'mon dude. Stress ain't good for you either.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

You're just saying less. And if someone AGREES with you but goes on to offer more information, even if you agree with it and know it's right, you go ape ****. Just stop doing that. That's all.
    Last I check, the bolded part is news to me.

But since you are new, I suspect you haven't seen the thousands of threads I post in that detail calories, macros and workout plans for members based on goals and medical condition or psychological/binge issues caused by specific foods. Also, there is NO reason to write a book when you can deliver the information in a paragraph. For the most part, the more you write, the less many newbs understand. If the people I offer advice to have a more advanced knowledge of nutrition then I go in greater detail. But for the most part, I use the KISS rule. So as I stated early on, calories are for weight loss, macronutrients are for muscle retention, satiety, energy, etc..

So if you think I am going ape, it's probably your own interruption. Your response don't affect my feelings.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When you add fitness, you are just creating an excess need for calories.... so once a again a calorie is a calorie. You work out you get more, you live sedentary, your body will need less. There was the lady who ate 1200 Starbucks calories and geez, there was Jared from Subway. Veggie, processed turkey and breads, sorry CRAP, but he lost weight. You will feel sick and terrible and probably not poop, but 1200 calories of junk, you can still lose weight. I have done it. Starved all day and then binged on 1200 calories in one sitting... at night, before bed. And I still could lose. But geez in the end, lets not all turn on each other. All in it together. Some of us have an emotional connection to food and trying to find the stupid way to justify how we can sneak a "bad food" in that makes us personally feel guilty is just our struggle. I think about food everyday and constantly keep a log in my head. It is always a negotiation. Logically will only eat whole foods that everyone says and I want to believe are yummy and satisfying, but in the end the white trash girl in me is very happy with a bag of Cheetos and hostess powdered doughnuts. Now excuse me while I go massage some kale for a salad ;)

You hit the nail with the hammer! I couldn't have said that any better. If I don't like tofu salads, I'm not gonna eat tofu salads! I eat junk food because I WANT to eat junk food, and because it tastes good and makes me feel better. I'm going through a tremendous emotional stress right now and the last thing I want to do is eat food that I don't like. So I'm gonna quit going on all of these, "eat this, don't eat that" diets and just enjoy me some good ole home cooking comfort food and make sure I don't go over my calorie limit.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I can admit I'm over reacting. I got the crap kicked out of me on the first part of this thread and now I'm kind of on a crusade. Should probably drop it for a while. I think I made my point... and beat it to death. By the way, the words "a calorie is a calorie" are not on the home page.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You hit the nail with the hammer! I couldn't have said that any better. If I don't like tofu salads, I'm not gonna eat tofu salads! I eat junk food because I WANT to eat junk food, and because it tastes good and makes me feel better. I'm going through a tremendous emotional stress right now and the last thing I want to do is eat food that I don't like. So I'm gonna quit going on all of these, "eat this, don't eat that" diets and just enjoy me some good ole home cooking comfort food and make sure I don't go over my calorie limit.

If your losing weight by eating a calorie deficit from junk food and not exercising your probably losing weight off your lean body mass as opposed to body fat.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I can admit I'm over reacting. I got the crap kicked out of me on the first part of this thread and now I'm kind of on a crusade. Should probably drop it for a while. I think I made my point... and beat it to death. By the way, the words "a calorie is a calorie" are not on the home page.

Agreed. What it says is eat what you want and lose weight.
    But we smahrt people don't eat just twinkies.

We eat Twinkie salads. :wink:
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    well tennisdude, not ALL my calories are from junk food, I just make sure I have me some good comfort food every day. I've done that before and lost 30lbs in 3 months and walked 30 min a day for 5 days a week and stayed at 1200 calories and lots of guys flirted with me and I got lots of compliments so I do not believe that all I lost was muscle.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    No you probably lost weight from tendons, bone and organs as well. Oh am body fat as well. Unless you were eating a higher amount of protein to carbs I'm afraid that's were some of your weight loss comes from.

Hey if your cool with that then no foul no harm!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    well tennisdude, not ALL my calories are from junk food, I just make sure I have me some good comfort food every day. I've done that before and lost 30lbs in 3 months and walked 30 min a day for 5 days a week and stayed at 1200 calories and lots of guys flirted with me and I got lots of compliments so I do not believe that all I lost was muscle.

Main thing is well done on the weight loss.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Agreed. What it says is eat what you want and lose weight.
    But we smahrt people don't eat just twinkies.

We eat Twinkie salads. :wink:

Twinkie with a good steak salad would be better for you.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    No you probably lost weight from tendons, bone and organs as well. Oh am body fat as well. Unless you were eating a higher amount of protein to carbs I'm afraid that's were some of your weight loss comes from.

first of all, thanks for the compliment on my weight loss, but I've never heard of losing weight from tendons, bones,and organs. That's a first for me. I have, however, heard that when you do low carb, you lose a bunch of water weight, but hey, I said I've heard that, I don't know it to be a fact. I've heard and read so many contradicting articles that I don't know what to believe anymore. If only I could look inside my body and actually see what's going on inside, wouldn't that be great.?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

first of all, thanks for the compliment on my weight loss, but I've never heard of losing weight from tendons, bones,and organs. That's a first for me. I have, however, heard that when you do low carb, you lose a bunch of water weight, but hey, I said I've heard that, I don't know it to be a fact. I've heard and read so many contradicting articles that I don't know what to believe anymore. If only I could look inside my body and actually see what's going on inside, wouldn't that be great.?

Unfortunately calorie deficit doesn't discriminate between lean mass (muscles, bone, sinew, tendons, organs) and body fat unless your eating high protein it's likely you will be losing lean mass ( the thing you would like to keep) along with the body fat ( the stuff you don't want to keep).

If you're interested research it, don't take my word.

If you're not bothered then just keep doing what your doing.

At the end of the day if your goal is weight loss over body health then that's your goal.

But here's the thing - you can have both.
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    I like the idea that, even though I watch what I eat to make sure it's healthy and wholesome, once in a while I can pick a junk food item and work it into my daily calorie allowance and still feel like I did a good job for myself. I guess the key words here are "healthy", "wholesome" and "once in a while". :smile: A calorie is a calorie to me.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with once in a while.

In fact every now and then a little of what you like even if it's naughty will do you no harm.

It's just when it's a regular part of your diet that it will create issues.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

Unfortunately calorie deficit doesn't discriminate between lean mass (muscles, bone, sinew, tendons, organs) and body fat unless your eating high protein it's likely you will be losing lean mass ( the thing you would like to keep) along with the body fat ( the stuff you don't want to keep).

If you're interested research it, don't take my word.

If you're not bothered then just keep doing what your doing.

At the end of the day if your goal is weight loss over body health then that's your goal.

But here's the thing - you can have both.

Research it? Where? What web site is reputable enough that you believe it? What book? Like I've said, I've read enough books and articles about weight loss and they all say different things.
    Where did you get your information from? If I might ask.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Again...last time I checked there are plenty of people on this site (Sara and Sidesteel to name a couple) who eat 80/20 every single day. These people are fabulously fit and rock tge sexy pants.

Naughty? What are we? Kindergardeners? Am I gonna have a time-out?

There's no such thing as 'naughty' food...smh