A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• fortally
    Options
    your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

Ketones.

Not keytones.

Keytones is a band. Ketones are chemicals.

Good lord man.

Think you beat me to it! :laugh: It's like reading a book with the same typo on every page. It's driving me nuts. Now I'm shouting KETONE every time I see it!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

My original post was in support (in the main of the article).

As many paleo/primal zealots, you are hung up on carbs. When overeating, fat will make you fatter than those evil carbs.

Low carb has nothing to do with your weight loss either, if you were to hold protein and cals constant, you could lose just the same eating many more carbs

Please explain how fat makes you fatter? (not including trans fat they are evil).

Look forward to your explanation

Not much to explain. 1 g of fat carries about 9 calories. a lot of fat has a lot of calories. Eat too much over a long period of time and you get fat.

Eat low carbs, move around a lot and you burn that fat as keytones, plus the other body fat you have.

How does that make you fat??
    If you eat too many calories is how. Which can happen if you don't eat carbs, or only eat carbs, eat mcdonalds every day, eat homecooked, organic food every day, it doesn't matter. You eat more calories than your body needs and you gain weight.

Yes but if you eat medium to high carbs your body (pancreas to be precise) will secrete insulin to deal with the glucose in your system and will make sure it burns that as fuel first (as excess glucose is toxic to the body).

Any additional fat will be stored as fact because insulin restricts the process of lipolysis which converts body fat into keytones for fuel. So unless you are burning all of your carbs plus each day the fact you consume will stay with you.

If you eat low carb and high fat your insulin levels remain low, lipolysis occurs and you generate keytones to burn as fuel = you don't store the fat you consume as body fat.

However if you are eating calorie deficit this probably won't matter because you will burn your glucose and your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

However the article was not written for the members of MFP who eat this way, it was written for the majority of the population who do not and will consume more carbs (or fat) in a day than they can burn and those carbs and fat will be converted to body fat.
    So you're saying normal people eat too much.
    It doesn't matter if it's carbs they're eating. For "too much" carbs, they would have to eat carbs worth their whole daily maintenance each day.
    There's probably some people who do that, but the vast majority won't. I can guarantee that. So all you're doing by your cutting carbs is - gasp - lowering your calorie intake. Which you could do by lowering fat just as well. Easier even, because fat hast more than twice the calories per gram than carbs do.
    But best still is a diet that's balanced.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Ketones.

Not keytones.

Good lord man.

Outrageous, just because I've got a faty index figure which keeps hitting the t&y together.

Hater!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think you understand what ketones are. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to help it break down glocuse into the blood for energy, it breaks fat down into ketones instead. This is NOT normal and is also VERY dangerous to the body. It's what happens to people with Type I Diabetes that puts them into Diabetic Ketoacidosis and potentially a coma, and even death. It doesn't happen in the NORMAL body.

Please stop with the ketone malarky.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

My original post was in support (in the main of the article).

As many paleo/primal zealots, you are hung up on carbs. When overeating, fat will make you fatter than those evil carbs.

Low carb has nothing to do with your weight loss either, if you were to hold protein and cals constant, you could lose just the same eating many more carbs

Please explain how fat makes you fatter? (not including trans fat they are evil).

Look forward to your explanation

Not much to explain. 1 g of fat carries about 9 calories. a lot of fat has a lot of calories. Eat too much over a long period of time and you get fat.

Eat low carbs, move around a lot and you burn that fat as keytones, plus the other body fat you have.

How does that make you fat??
    If you eat too many calories is how. Which can happen if you don't eat carbs, or only eat carbs, eat mcdonalds every day, eat homecooked, organic food every day, it doesn't matter. You eat more calories than your body needs and you gain weight.

Yes but if you eat medium to high carbs your body (pancreas to be precise) will secrete insulin to deal with the glucose in your system and will make sure it burns that as fuel first (as excess glucose is toxic to the body).

Any additional fat will be stored as fact because insulin restricts the process of lipolysis which converts body fat into keytones for fuel. So unless you are burning all of your carbs plus each day the fact you consume will stay with you.

If you eat low carb and high fat your insulin levels remain low, lipolysis occurs and you generate keytones to burn as fuel = you don't store the fat you consume as body fat.

However if you are eating calorie deficit this probably won't matter because you will burn your glucose and your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

However the article was not written for the members of MFP who eat this way, it was written for the majority of the population who do not and will consume more carbs (or fat) in a day than they can burn and those carbs and fat will be converted to body fat.
    So you're saying normal people eat too much.
    It doesn't matter if it's carbs they're eating. For "too much" carbs, they would have to eat carbs worth their whole daily maintenance each day.
    There's probably some people who do that, but the vast majority won't. I can guarantee that. So all you're doing by your cutting carbs is - gasp - lowering your calorie intake. Which you could do by lowering fat just as well. Easier even, because fat hast more than twice the calories per gram than carbs do.
    But best still is a diet that's balanced.

Hello, have you seen a lot a people out there (I include myself in that statement - previous over consumer).

Why did you originally join MFP, for the stimulating conversation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Ketones.

Not keytones.

Good lord man.

Outrageous, just because I've got a faty index figure which keeps hitting the t&y together.

Hater!

That's amusing, but the reality is just that you keep proving over and over you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just spouting some nonsense you read in a fad diet book. You clearly don't even know what a ketone is.
  • jonnythan
    Options

God, what I wouldn't give to sit down with you and, on video, ask you to define many of the terms in that abstract. That would be so much fun.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stepped away to grab a poptart and missed 3 pages!
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1 big mac (550 cals) + Large fries (500 cals) = 333 grams of chicken breast (550 cals) + Large fries (500 cals) = 333 grams of chicken breast (550 cals) + 2950 grams of romaine lettuce (500 cals) . . . all of which equal 1050 calories

a calorie is a calorie is a calorie

:smile:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You know, people who argue this typically lack logging consistency or are desperately grasping at straws to make up reasons in their mind to why their loss is slower than they like. I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and lose 1 lb a week on 1700 calories of fast food, ice cream, pizza, etc. So, calories seem to be calories for me. Maybe I'm just a magical fairy though. I would be okay with this. As long as I got wings.

Magical fairy or not, the hip flexor indicates you've kicked a little *kitten*, or a whole lot of *kitten*. Strange as it is 22 pounds lighter, calories seem to be calories for me as well. Oh, and magically, 1/3 of my BF is gone too; how did this happen? IDK, pizza, Doritos, an apple with or without pesticiides, coloring or not, old account, consitent logging, eating at deficit to TDEE....must be magic.
    Eeek. Thanks! ♡
    You must be magical, too. But it's okay, it's much more fun with pixie dust and dragons anyway. I want Rainbow Brites pony...

ME FIRSTTTT! :D
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Hello, have you seen a lot a people out there (I include myself in that statement - previous over consumer).

Gonna cut out the rest because I don't want to destroy reality as we know it.
    I joined so I can count my calories. Which I've been doing. With good results. Still eating plenty of carbs. But never ate so many
    that it would fill up 2000 calories. That would be 500 grams of carbs btw.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I don't think you understand what ketones are. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to help it break down glocuse into the blood for energy, it breaks fat down into ketones instead. This is NOT normal and is also VERY dangerous to the body. It's what happens to people with Type I Diabetes that puts them into Diabetic Ketoacidosis and potentially a coma, and even death. It doesn't happen in the NORMAL body.

What?

Lipolysis breaks down the amino acids the produce ketones. too much insulin restricts this process.

What is not normal to the body is an overload of glucose. In fact too much glucose is toxic. Why do you think we produce insulin?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

You know, it's not too late. You don't have to over-consume or even adopt a specialty "diet" if you want to get healthier. it's really not very difficult.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs due to a combination of different factors, not simply the presence of ketones in your blood. Mere ketones alone are insufficient to diagnose a state of diabetic ketoacidosis and eating a low carb diet that results in a state of ketosis does not magically lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Please stop with the fear mongering.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Oh are you a rodent? And please summarize in your own words what you just posted
    Considering the article is searching for what genes are upregulated while eating high fat, low carb, I'm not sure he's read the article. However, there are several articles cited in the background section that look interesting, including one that suggests that FGF21 or a similar analog could be a novel treatment for diabetes.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Gonna cut out the rest because I don't want to destroy reality as we know it.
    I joined so I can count my calories. Which I've been doing. With good results. Still eating plenty of carbs. But never ate so many
    that it would fill up 2000 calories. That would be 500 grams of carbs btw.

An as you are probably burning them all great. There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and burning them if you choose to do this. The problem is over eating them.

I'm not anti carb, some of my best friend know people who eat them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Great gotta BR break and stuff...how many pages will it be in 15mins...another 10....:sad:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So do I put the real sugar, or the sugar free syrup in my mid-morning coffee?

TELL ME WHICH ONE KILLS ME FASTER.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lipolysis breaks down the amino acids

Exactly wrong. Lipolysis is the breakdown of lipids. Lipo- means lipids, which are fats, and lysis means hydrolysis, which is the breaking of a chemical bond with the use of a water molecule.

Of course, you wouldn't know that because you learn that sort of thing in organic chemistry. And people who have taken organic chemistry know what a ketone is. People who know something about chemistry don't need to remember what "lipolysis" is because it's obvious from the root words. People who don't know anything about chemistry need to remember what it means, and are therefore prone to misremembering it.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Stepped away to grab a poptart and missed 3 pages!

Ooooo...... Pop Tarts. Better than popcorn for a thread like this, but I'm unsure if the calories in Pop Tarts are the same as those in popcorn. Maybe the Pop Tart calories are superior due to their toastyness or maybe the popcorn ones are due to their saltiness? Maybe we should start a thread on that topic. It'd make as much sense as this thread.