A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Eat low carbs, move around a lot and you burn that fat as keytones, plus the other body fat you have.

Why all the hate on carbs? Carbs are good. I eat them, I'm losing weight. Oh my. I know that might blow your mind a little. :flowerforyou:

When I'm cutting, I typically eat 200+ grams of carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sisson's beloved Grok ate around 300g of carbs a day
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I don't want to go eat lunch now, for all the fun I'm about to miss...

I spent my entire lunch break reading through everything I missed. :smile:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Not much to explain. 1 g of fat carries about 9 calories. a lot of fat has a lot of calories. Eat too much over a long period of time and you get fat.

Eat low carbs, move around a lot and you burn that fat as keytones, plus the other body fat you have.

How does that make you fat??

Because science.

If you give your body more fuel than it needs, be it fat, carbs, protein, etc, it will store it as fat, and you will gain weight. If you don't give it enough fuel, it will burn its own fat stores for fuel, and you will gain weight.

Pretty darned simple, isn't it?

How much fat are thinking of eating????
    [/quote]

what the what? The question should be how much of anything are you thinking of eating? It doesn't matter what you eat. If you eat too much of anything, you will be providing your body with excess fuel, and it will be stored as fat. Period.

If you don't eat enough, regardless of what you are eating, your body will break down your fat stores for energy. Period.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yah I left at page 3 came back to 11 pages and in the process of catching up it went to 13...give up food for entertainment (from one poster) and science from others.
  • fortally
    Options
    I haven't read through the entire thread yet but that's a GREAT article and explains a lot. Thank you for sharing it.

Don't join the thread at this stage and back the article, I was doing quite well as a lone wolf thank you!!!

Glad you liked the article.

Ummm...maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was thanking the OP, not you. There are other still folks following this thread and chiming in, not just you. Just because your comments started an argument does not mean this thread is now "yours."
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

My original post was in support (in the main of the article).

As many paleo/primal zealots, you are hung up on carbs. When overeating, fat will make you fatter than those evil carbs.

Low carb has nothing to do with your weight loss either, if you were to hold protein and cals constant, you could lose just the same eating many more carbs

Please explain how fat makes you fatter? (not including trans fat they are evil).

Look forward to your explanation

Not much to explain. 1 g of fat carries about 9 calories. a lot of fat has a lot of calories. Eat too much over a long period of time and you get fat.

If you eat too many calories is how. Which can happen if you don't eat carbs, or only eat carbs, eat mcdonalds every day, eat homecooked, organic food every day, it doesn't matter. You eat more calories than your body needs and you gain weight.

Yes but if you eat medium to high carbs your body (pancreas to be precise) will secrete insulin to deal with the glucose in your system and will make sure it burns that as fuel first (as excess glucose is toxic to the body).

Any additional fat will be stored as fact because insulin restricts the process of lipolysis which converts body fat into keytones for fuel. So unless you are burning all of your carbs plus each day the fact you consume will stay with you.

If you eat low carb and high fat your insulin levels remain low, lipolysis occurs and you generate keytones to burn as fuel = you don't store the fat you consume as body fat.

However if you are eating calorie deficit this probably won't matter because you will burn your glucose and your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

However the article was not written for the members of MFP who eat this way, it was written for the majority of the population who do not and will consume more carbs (or fat) in a day than they can burn and those carbs and fat will be converted to body fat.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I had to go shovel my driveway, and now I'm behind like 5 pages :grumble:
  • mccindy72
    Options

Why all the hate on carbs? Carbs are good. I eat them, I'm losing weight. Oh my. I know that might blow your mind a little. :flowerforyou:

When I'm cutting, I typically eat 200+ grams of carbs.

I eat a fair amount of carbs myself, since I can't eat many vegetables, I tend to eat a lot of rice. I eat oatmeal every morning, or gluten-free cereal, and rice noodles or gluten-free bread at lunch. Uh-oh.. does that mean I will get fat.....:?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

The Keytones are a band.

keytones-furtherbackandbeyond_1.jpg

and from the looks of them, they didn't have much trouble with weight.
    Maybe because singing burns calories?

Let's not burn them. They look nice.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    No!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I haven't read through the entire thread yet but that's a GREAT article and explains a lot. Thank you for sharing it.

Don't join the thread at this stage and back the article, I was doing quite well as a lone wolf thank you!!!

Glad you liked the article.

Ummm...maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was thanking the OP, not you. There are other still folks following this thread and chiming in, not just you. Just because your comments started an argument does not mean this thread is now "yours."

I know.

I was making a joke.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

RDtNu_zps0f5f91ce.gif
  • Acg67
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

As many paleo/primal zealots, you are hung up on carbs. When overeating, fat will make you fatter than those evil carbs.

Low carb has nothing to do with your weight loss either, if you were to hold protein and cals constant, you could lose just the same eating many more carbs

Please explain how fat makes you fatter? (not including trans fat they are evil).

If you eat too many calories is how. Which can happen if you don't eat carbs, or only eat carbs, eat mcdonalds every day, eat homecooked, organic food every day, it doesn't matter. You eat more calories than your body needs and you gain weight.

Yes but if you eat medium to high carbs your body (pancreas to be precise) will secrete insulin to deal with the glucose in your system and will make sure it burns that as fuel first (as excess glucose is toxic to the body).

Any additional fat will be stored as fact because insulin restricts the process of lipolysis which converts body fat into keytones for fuel. So unless you are burning all of your carbs plus each day the fact you consume will stay with you.

If you eat low carb and high fat your insulin levels remain low, lipolysis occurs and you generate keytones to burn as fuel = you don't store the fat you consume as body fat.

However if you are eating calorie deficit this probably won't matter because you will burn your glucose and your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

However the article was not written for the members of MFP who eat this way, it was written for the majority of the population who do not and will consume more carbs (or fat) in a day than they can burn and those carbs and fat will be converted to body fat.

Since you glossed over this while you were spouting off paleo/primal/fat head/taubes nonsense, here you go

You seem to think DNL is a highly efficient and common process in humans, hint: it's not despite what quacks like Sisson have told you

Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

www.ajcn.org/content/62/1/19.full.pdf 
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

The Keytones are a band.

keytones-furtherbackandbeyond_1.jpg

and from the looks of them, they didn't have much trouble with weight.
    Maybe because singing burns calories?

Let's not burn them. They look nice.

Surely further back and beyond will be referring to something PRIMAL! interesting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

Ketones.

Not keytones.

Keytones is a band. Ketones are chemicals.

Good lord man.
  • fortally
    Options

Ketones, dude. K-E-T-O-N-E-S.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Conclusion.

Since you glossed over this while you were spouting off paleo/primal/fat head/taubes nonsense, here you go

You seem to think DNL is a highly efficient and common process in humans, hint: it's not despite what quacks like Sisson have told you

Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Back at yah!

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(07)00129-5
  • mccindy72
    Options

Conclusion.

I don't think you understand what ketones are. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to help it break down glocuse into the blood for energy, it breaks fat down into ketones instead. This is NOT normal and is also VERY dangerous to the body. It's what happens to people with Type I Diabetes that puts them into Diabetic Ketoacidosis and potentially a coma, and even death. It doesn't happen in the NORMAL body.

Please stop with the ketone malarky.
  • Acg67
    Options

Conclusion.

Back at yah!

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(07)00129-5

Oh are you a rodent? And please summarize in your own words what you just posted