A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article was fully reasearched : "Bottom Line: It is possible that we are confusing cause and effect. Perhaps it’s not the increased calorie intake that drives the fat gain, but the fat gain that drives the increased calorie intake."

Words like "Is is POSSIBLE" and "PERHAPS" leads me to believe this is guess work.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I missed like 10 pages in the time I was at the gym. I could have burned calories laughing my butt off here.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

This is very interesting. :smile:

"newish" person over here, sorry!

What do you mean to say exactly?

I'm learning a lot....? :flowerforyou:

I wish you could say things a bit more clearly...I still can't make out your pt
    Chuck it anyways, it's probably off topic

I understood it just fine. Move on.

Thank you, Jonnythan and MCCindy (sorry if I get the names wrong!!!) :smile:

Other person, I was just pointing out that I was learning a lot from reading this forum topic! No need to get your hackles up :drinker:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    the snark is strong in this thread.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

These are not the calories you are looking for.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Thank you, Jonnythan, I think?

Other person, I was just pointing out that I was learning a lot from reading this forum topic! No need to get your hackles up :drinker:

You're welcome, and your cat appears very tolerant :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

:laugh:

so much lolz!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Are you just trying to be a jerk?

Did someone just call me?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    the snark is excellent in this thread.
    FTFY.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    One of these again? :grumble:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

Our diets don't have cute names like "primal" with a list of "good" and "bad" foods.

And yes, you do appear a bit naive and uneducated about food. But it's OK. You're new. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot, and hopefully you will be able to find more success than "0 pounds lost."

Sorry it's not 0lbs lost.

Didn't fill all the information in.

I like to lose my weight hassle free!

oh, i see... weight loss magic!

Oddly enough, I have much less hassle in life because I eat on mcdonald's occasionally

Sorry I must have been mistake, I though you lost weight by eating mainly junk?

Or have you sneakily been eating healthy stuff.

There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

Okay, so back to ME!
    Yes, you were "mistake" because I not even once said that I lost weight by eating mainly junk food.

No reason to sneakily eat healthy stuff. I eat all the foodz.

A calorie is a calorie because... well, it is.
    Nutrient content is something different from a calorie.

So, as it turns out, you made a whole lot of baseless assumptions about ME...
    1. that I take supplements
    2. that I should foresee health issues in my future (or past, or present... whatever... since I don't know what age you assumed that I am)
    3. that my methods are inconvenient.

So... Just how many other assumptions have you made that simply aren't true?

I must apologise (like in ghostbusters we have crossed the streams). My post on page 5 was aimed at the Macdonald, pizza eating machine.

Still, it's been nice to debate.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I'm always looking for calories. Om nom nom nom nom. :drinker:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who understood what she was saying . :laugh:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Welcome to the forums...don't let it get it to you. Also, yay for cats.

And while I'm in here, I just want to say....since I embraced IIFYM, peanut butter has come back into my life. This may have been me at lunch...

aGYP3YG_700b.jpg

If IIFYM is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

Our diets don't have cute names like "primal" with a list of "good" and "bad" foods.

And yes, you do appear a bit naive and uneducated about food. But it's OK. You're new. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot, and hopefully you will be able to find more success than "0 pounds lost."

Sorry it's not 0lbs lost.

Didn't fill all the information in.

I like to lose my weight hassle free!

oh, i see... weight loss magic!

Oddly enough, I have much less hassle in life because I eat on mcdonald's occasionally

Sorry I must have been mistake, I though you lost weight by eating mainly junk?

Or have you sneakily been eating healthy stuff.

There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

Okay, so back to ME!
    Yes, you were "mistake" because I not even once said that I lost weight by eating mainly junk food.

No reason to sneakily eat healthy stuff. I eat all the foodz.

A calorie is a calorie because... well, it is.
    Nutrient content is something different from a calorie.

So, as it turns out, you made a whole lot of baseless assumptions about ME...
    1. that I take supplements
    2. that I should foresee health issues in my future (or past, or present... whatever... since I don't know what age you assumed that I am)
    3. that my methods are inconvenient.

So... Just how many other assumptions have you made that simply aren't true?

I must apologise (like in ghostbusters we have crossed the streams). My post on page 5 was aimed at the Macdonald, pizza eating machine.

Still, it's been nice to debate.

Who are you even talking about? BTW, it's McDonald's. I don't mean that as an insult, but you keep misspelling it so I thought you should know.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Don't worry "most" of us got what you were saying...
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who understood what she was saying . :laugh:

I'm sorry.... :embarassed: I was just pointing out that as newish person on the forums, this was interesting and I was learning a lot......
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

I'm sorry.... :embarassed: I was just pointing out that as newish person on the forums, this was interesting and I was learning a lot......

No No dont be sorry I understood What you were saying just fine. Welcome aboard , I couldnt figure out why the other poster was telling you to be more clearer---I read it just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

My original post was in support (in the main of the article).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...

Yes you are correct - nobody is disputing that fact (the article you all hate so much is not disputing that fact).

Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

I am regulating my insulin levels and burning keytones when active under 75% energy rate. When I am lifting weights, sprinting or HIIT I am then burning the glucose.

The reason I am not putting on weight is because I am not consuming more glucose than I can either burn or store in my muscles or liver.

Yes the article had a few fuzzy points but it was mainly scientifically accurate.

You are losing weight because you are not consuming more carbs than you can either burn or store. If you are training hard then once your body runs out of glucose to burning it is switching to keytones (which is converted body fat).

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying your diet does not work, clearly it does. I would question some of the members who CLAIM they are eating mainly junk (to be fair as this thread has gone on most people have stated they eat a balanced diet).

My original post was in support (in the main of the article).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ketones :laugh: :laugh: