A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

It's not looking good for you.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

And MFP is supposed to be a supportive site (shame on you).

He's basing it off what your own profile says.
    39 - Active, but not fit.
    I have been very active, but out of shape for the last 10 years

And that you stated in here you eat primal.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

If you asked for some assistance on how to use the site, you would. You can backdate your weight loss start date to show the previous loss. Us naive people know about that stuff.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    holy crap! I ate lunch and I missed SO MUCH!!!
    Good thing I had all the food because I have much work to do!

I hope you were eating healthy food. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In for the gifs and snowflakes

Isn't it February?

Wow, we really are here for the same reason... :tongue:

Oh good .. I can never remember if we're all the same, and here for different reasons, or if we're all different and here for the same reason.

All us snowflakes are unique, so same
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You can amend your profile all you want, but you admit you are not fit, you say you have 50 lbs to lose, you are new to MFP, you are following a fad diet, and you are telling all of the actually successful people they are wrong and unhealthy.

Conclusion.

Entrance to the Inner Circle/Roving Wolfpack/Shadowy Forum Bully Club/Thug Life Party is denied.

That's a very insensitive comment. You are basing this on where I want to be. You don't know where I started from.

Yes but I have already lost a 32lb eating primal. I'm on a journey! just because I am not there yet doesn't make me any less of a person.

As I have just joined up I don't have the ability of posting my previous achievements.

If you asked for some assistance on how to use the site, you would. You can backdate your weight loss start date to show the previous loss. Us naive people know about that stuff.

I never said you were naïve about technology (that's me).
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I dunno why people keep asking "did you actually read the article?" because you actually have to read it to realize how bad it is. It actually starts off decent... then kind of fizzles out.
    She mentions multiple times that certain foods boost metabolism

I don't believe this to be true, at least enough to significantly change your overall energy output - correct me if I am wrong...but doesn't mention these foods or how they do it?
    She mentions you can't eat eggs to excess

I have proven this to be 100% false through the drunken ingestion of millions* of pickled eggs at one sitting.

*number is estimated, I don't remember **** about that night.
    She states: " Being aware of your calorie intake is NOT necessary to lose weight, as long as you eat in a certain way. Cutting carbs while increasing fat and protein is proven to lead to automatic calorie restriction and weight loss."

You can easily overeat after cutting carbs. You may not have to manually track calories, but you have to be aware of their existence. They still apply to you.
    If you were to cut calorie intake by 10%, it would only work for some time until your metabolic rate would adapt and you would stop losing. Then you would have to cut calories again, then again…

LOL yes as you lose mass your calories drop. Big eye opener there. This quote is much more supportive of maintaining a smaller caloric deficit than it is to change the foods you eat. Again she doesn't offer a solution on what foods will speed up your metabolism or help your body avoid metabolic adaptation.

IMO that is because they don't exist.
    It is possible that we are confusing cause and effect. Perhaps it’s not the increased calorie intake that drives the fat gain, but the fat gain that drives the increased calorie intake.

LOL! You can't even get fat without having a caloric surplus so how can getting fat come before increased calories. #reality.

She also links in her post (as a reference) another one of her blog posts that lists Sugar, Vegetable Oil and Wheat as KILLERS.

==================

So although Mirey already did this, there is another swift breakdown (barely even thought about this) that proves someone read the article.

For all the other people here just saying the "article is crap" They are saying it for similar reasons. But they have seen this nonsense spewed so much that they don't want to take the time to break it down - because all of this info is readily available not only on MFP...but on the internet in general.

I suggest every "newbie" reading this - if you make a post and find yourself being "attacked by haters" *rolls eyes* take a step back, and challenge YOURSELF and your OWN beliefs - because that is good signal that you may potentially be wrong.

I did exactly that 180lbs ago and it changed my life :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Conclusion.

Glad it is working for you ....

Let me just clarify that "primal" is not the reason you are losing, it is the calorie deficit that you create that is causing the loss..if you over ate on primal, you would gain weight...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

All calories are equal. A calorie is a unit of measure and as such are equal. Period, point blank, end of that train of thought. To state otherwise is just...Well wrong.

I'm not sure how else I can put that.

True, but not all sources of calories are nutritionally equivalent. And before anyone assumes I have chosen a side on this, read my profile.

Duh?

Awww. Right in the feels.

A lot of people in this debate don;t seem to be getting that.

But a calorie is still a calorie is still a calorie.

You can eat a deficit of pure lard and lose weight.

See this is why I don't have feels, makes it too easy to assume someone is trying to affect them in some manner. "Duh" wasn't an attempt to get you in the feels, but rather a way of saying "thank you for stating exactly what I've already said no less than three time in this very thread, I guess."

And if you think anyone (aside from maybe that one guy. Not sure what he's about.) Isn't aware that different food has different nutrient profiles then you aren't paying attention.

It's all good. 'Awww. Right in the feels' was sarcastic. i don't have feelings.

And I rarely pay attention. I just firmly believe that a single bon mot from me is enough to settle any debate.

Ah, a fellow non-feeler. My favorite kind of people.

But I know that belief. I sometimes come in and say totally logical stuff and people just ignore me. So I post cat gifs instead.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

Our diets don't have cute names like "primal" with a list of "good" and "bad" foods.

And yes, you do appear a bit naive and uneducated about food. But it's OK. You're new. Keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot, and hopefully you will be able to find more success than "0 pounds lost."

Sorry it's not 0lbs lost.

Didn't fill all the information in.

I like to lose my weight hassle free!

oh, i see... weight loss magic!

Oddly enough, I have much less hassle in life because I eat on mcdonald's occasionally

Sorry I must have been mistake, I though you lost weight by eating mainly junk?

Or have you sneakily been eating healthy stuff.

There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

Okay, so back to ME!
    Yes, you were "mistake" because I not even once said that I lost weight by eating mainly junk food.

No reason to sneakily eat healthy stuff. I eat all the foodz.

A calorie is a calorie because... well, it is.
    Nutrient content is something different from a calorie.

So, as it turns out, you made a whole lot of baseless assumptions about ME...
    1. that I take supplements
    2. that I should foresee health issues in my future (or past, or present... whatever... since I don't know what age you assumed that I am)
    3. that my methods are inconvenient.

So... Just how many other assumptions have you made that simply aren't true?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I found it interesting, and some of the citations also made for good reading. The first citation in particular provided a good explanation of the laws of thermodynamics in a dietary context.

Thanks for sharing.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Any food she ate would qualify.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    <
    lost almost 60lbs doing the whole 'calorie is just a calorie' thing :wink:

91lbs in 12 months here with the whole 'calorie is just a calorie'

Same. High five!

It really does work, you know?

In 5 seconds this will all turn into "But for HEALTH and NUTRITION you need to blah blah blah just eat Kale."

But before that happens, just know that most of the successful people on this site count calories and practice moderation. Take that as you will.

Kale is evil.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "healthy food." There is just food. It's the diet, in its totality, that is either healthy or unhealthy.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

All calories are equal. A calorie is a unit of measure and as such are equal. Period, point blank, end of that train of thought. To state otherwise is just...Well wrong.

I'm not sure how else I can put that.

True, but not all sources of calories are nutritionally equivalent. And before anyone assumes I have chosen a side on this, read my profile.

Duh?

Awww. Right in the feels.

A lot of people in this debate don;t seem to be getting that.

But a calorie is still a calorie is still a calorie.

You can eat a deficit of pure lard and lose weight.

See this is why I don't have feels, makes it too easy to assume someone is trying to affect them in some manner. "Duh" wasn't an attempt to get you in the feels, but rather a way of saying "thank you for stating exactly what I've already said no less than three time in this very thread, I guess."

And if you think anyone (aside from maybe that one guy. Not sure what he's about.) Isn't aware that different food has different nutrient profiles then you aren't paying attention.

It's all good. 'Awww. Right in the feels' was sarcastic. i don't have feelings.

And I rarely pay attention. I just firmly believe that a single bon mot from me is enough to settle any debate.

Ah, a fellow non-feeler. My favorite kind of people.

But I know that belief. I sometimes come in and say totally logical stuff and people just ignore me. So I post cat gifs instead.

I've done this exact same thing. I frequently joke (but not really joke) that the ridiculousness of the gif corresponds to how seriously I take the opinions of the erroneous poster. It's a good time.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Conclusion.

And that is understood, but you say his statement is insensitive...well it's going off of what you put on your profile. You didn't put any other info. But his statement isn't insensitive. He's just stating some basic facts, you are new, you have told successful people that we basically are doing it wrong and aren't fit because you've assumed most of us eat junk, and you are following a fad diet. Which is fine and that may work for you. Problem with most fads though is they aren't for life.

I am the fittest I've ever been, and will only continue to get fitter. Eating what I want. Because at least for me, it has to be sustainable for the rest of my life, so I have to and want to fit food in like cake, beer, pizza, take out, etc, along with my other vegetarian meals I eat. It's all about moderation not deprivation. Deprivation may work for some, but what I find with that is once they meet their goal weight, they go back to eating whatever they want and the weight comes back and brings a few friends.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

dunno. It surely wasn't "primal". I don't eat bugs on purpose.
  • pritam_pyare
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

This is very interesting. :smile:

"newish" person over here, sorry!

What do you mean to say exactly?

I'm learning a lot....? :flowerforyou:

I wish you could say things a bit more clearly...I still can't make out your pt
    Chuck it anyways, it's probably off topic
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

I understood it just fine. Move on.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Don't tell em you're new, they shoot strangers!!!

We only shoot the new people who have zero success when they are telling everyone else on the board - people who have achieved all the things you are trying to achieve yourself - that they're doing it all wrong, don't know anything about nutrition, are unhealthy, etc.

man you seem hung up on this 0 figure. I'll amend my profile and maybe then I can be accepted into the brotherhood?

Conclusion.

You're not likely to effectively shame this bunch. Lol! The best that you can do is sit back, read, use the "search" function, do your own research, and go with what works for you.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    CAN'T. STOP. READING.

Are you just trying to be a jerk?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

ditto from 3 pages to 11 for me and 2 while I was catching up...slow down guys I am missing the lol's