What should I get my GF for Valentines Day?

Options

Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    A new boyfriend?

That's more like it. I mean seriously!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    A nice plush bath robe.
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    All of the haters mean answers aside, I think its okay to ask mfp for gift ideas. You're not asking us to tell you IF your plan is a good idea, you are asking us for more creative ideas.
    From the suggestions so far, I really like the post-it note idea and the gold coin idea. My suggestion is those little body sprays you can get anywhere...Walmart, etc. They are only $3-$5 each. I love those.

Good luck on V-day. I hope she appreciates your efforts :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Allegorically the humor is similar to that one time when I went on a double date to the movies with a girl and after we parked I was like "ill catch up with you guys in a sec" and I put on like 15 sprays of cologne and then we went to the movies and supposedly I was like the affable dopey overly trying to impress her but failing in a cute way kind of guy for a moment.

Its kind of the same with this where I supposedly fail, but in a cute way with all those excess cliche gifts. But in the end its just supposed to come off as flattering.

I think the operative word here is "failing".

YEP. if she's expecting corny gifts as a joke then go for it, if she isnt then failfailfailfail. that's why i suggested taking her to a comedy show if you want to make her laugh. but honestly giving her gifts that you consider joke/gag gifts (regardless of how much they cost) when that isnt what she's expecting is ****ty and will not get you invited into the inner sanctum
  • aprilsmith501
    aprilsmith501 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do something cheesy, like take a **** ton of sticky notes and write something you love about her on each one and stick them all over your "display." She'll freaking love them, and it will definitely help with the "cluttered" look!!!

One of my friends had something similar like this done by her bf since she didn't really tell him what she wanted for Christmas... all her friends so jealous... best. gift. ever.

Valentines day is the time for cheese. I love it!
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    D&*k in a box...the gift that keeps on giving...
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Yeah she's only 18 so I want to make a good impression on like a really traditional level of hitting all the basics. Who knows if she got flowers and chocolates before so I want to make it a special Valentines Day she can remember.

I love her.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We don't bother with these designated holidays anymore, but back in the day, we used to. I don't remember ONE thing my hubby ever BOUGHT me for Valentine's Day.

What I have NEVER forgotten is this: One year when Valentine's Day was on a Saturday and he had to go to work at 7am, he got up early (while I was still sleeping).

He cut out DOZENS of hearts, taped sewing thread to them, and hung them all over the kitchen from the ceiling. He took one of my lipsticks and scrawled "I love you" across the bathroom mirror. He had a pot of coffee ready for me to fire up, and a Valentine card propped in front of the coffee maker.

I can still recall heading out to the kitchen, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, after he had gone to work, and seeing all those hearts dangling from the ceiling.

One of the best gifts EVER!

Good luck!
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How about buy her one long stem red rose, one cute little teddy bear and some cheap but good chocalate take her to get a massage (about $30) then out to a nice place to eat or cook for her with candles thats actually where you can sit her rose where she's going to sit to eat
  • Christine_120
    Options
    Allegorically the humor is similar to that one time when I went on a double date to the movies with a girl and after we parked I was like "ill catch up with you guys in a sec" and I put on like 15 sprays of cologne and then we went to the movies and supposedly I was like the affable dopey overly trying to impress her but failing in a cute way kind of guy for a moment.

Its kind of the same with this where I supposedly fail, but in a cute way with all those excess cliche gifts. But in the end its just supposed to come off as flattering.

I totally get the idea!! If she has any sense of humour which she must if you love her, she'll think its funny - I think its adorable. Its the perfect over the top geek way. Love it!! Who cares if she throws the bears out its only 80 dollars to make a fun gesture. But I would make her sleep with them at least once lined up on her bed haha- pretend you're hurt if she doesn't- Have fun - LOL
  • Cadaverous_Bones
    Options
    You should get her a gift she would actually enjoy instead of wasting $80 on stupid stuffed animals. Getting her one stuffed animal and some balloons chocolates flowers etc is a good thing but get her something she would enjoy or has been wanting, you don't have to spend a fortune but at least get her something she would want like a movie or an iTunes gift card or a necklace/errings from forever 21 or if you have an H&M or even a Ross or Marshalls or TJ Max you could find her some cute accessories!
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    We don't bother with these designated holidays anymore, but back in the day, we used to. I don't remember ONE thing my hubby ever BOUGHT me for Valentine's Day.

What I have NEVER forgotten is this: One year when Valentine's Day was on a Saturday and he had to go to work at 7am, he got up early (while I was still sleeping).

He cut out DOZENS of hearts, taped sewing thread to them, and hung them all over the kitchen from the ceiling. He took one of my lipsticks and scrawled "I love you" across the bathroom mirror. He had a pot of coffee ready for me to fire up, and a Valentine card propped in front of the coffee maker.

I can still recall heading out to the kitchen, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, after he had gone to work, and seeing all those hearts dangling from the ceiling.

One of the best gifts EVER!

Good luck!

AWE!! So awesome!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yeah she's only 18 so I want to make a good impression on like a really traditional level of hitting all the basics. Who knows if she got flowers and chocolates before so I want to make it a special Valentines Day she can remember.

I love her.

Only 18?? Give her parents a present and leave her alone for another couple of years.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know that I love stuffed animals for Valentine's Day <3 If she does, get her one too! But no one can really tell you what would be best for your girlfriend, you should know... or even ask her! I will never understand why people don't just ask lol. I would be much more happier getting something I asked for and KNOW that I wanted, over something that I didn't want because they had to guess. Also, don't listen to anyone on here that's like "oh that wont get you laid". They don't know your girlfriend For all we know, on Valentine's day she could walk in the door and commence sexy time lol. Good luck with your special day!
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A book called "Unconventional Squatting".

Sure do like your style, mother.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    From reading your posts, I thought you'd want to give something like this:
    giphy.gif

Beat me to it.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

I totally get the idea!! If she has any sense of humour which she must if you love her, she'll think its funny - I think its adorable. Its the perfect over the top geek way. Love it!! Who cares if she throws the bears out its only 80 dollars to make a fun gesture. But I would make her sleep with them at least once lined up on her bed haha- pretend you're hurt if she doesn't- Have fun - LOL

Exactly, its like you spent 80 dollars on that joke. Its kind of like how girls always say they want thoughtful gifts.

Its ironic because its a dual layer joke. One one hand its cliche, on the other it was clearly a sign of caring and a well thought out thing exclusively for the love of one person. Its quite romantic don't you think?

You should get her a gift she would actually enjoy instead of wasting $80 on stupid stuffed animals. Getting her one stuffed animal and some balloons chocolates flowers etc is a good thing but get her something she would enjoy or has been wanting, you don't have to spend a fortune but at least get her something she would want like a movie or an iTunes gift card or a necklace/errings from forever 21 or if you have an H&M or even a Ross or Marshalls or TJ Max you could find her some cute accessories!

Thats the other thing about it is she is kinda shy about it being fancy. She initially just wanted to get some vegetarian food from whole foods lol.

(think; typical person who starts detox threads; omg lol)

so its like the very idea of it being formal is a "thing" so this makes it even more funny to make a big show about it despite how she keeps wanting to make it some nonchalant thing.

she's just shy lol
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

Thats the other thing about it is she is kinda shy about it being fancy. She initially just wanted to get some vegetarian food from whole foods lol.

(think; typical person who starts detox threads; omg lol)

so its like the very idea of it being formal is a "thing" so this makes it even more funny to make a big show about it despite how she keeps wanting to make it some nonchalant thing.

she's just shy lol
    Now its kind of sounding like she will genuinely hate what you are about to do. But probably suck it up until you are gone so as to not hurt feelings.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My last year's gift? A hand held dirt devil.
    This year? I am single. For obvious reasons.

ETA: I do second a previous poster's mention in scraping the stuffed bear idea and taking her somewhere. I think it shows more thought than a few clicks on Amazon.

I'm 32 now. I'd love a handheld Dirt Devil lol.

I'm 43, have 2 kids and a husband that leave crumbs everywhere, and the dog died. A dirt devil would be awesome.

I don't see the point of valentines day. I think the chick gene that governs sappy romance, shopping, and makeup is missing.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Did anyone say balloons? You can get a fairly large tank of helium at BJs/Costco for maybe $25-30. I think they fill something like 100 balloons. I'd take the balloon over stuffed animals. Oh and chocolate.