RMR Test Results- Very Very Surprised

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You know what mate you are old enough to make your own decisions. If you want to eat so little for a week knock yourself out.

You really need to know your audience though because it isnt just the people replying who are reading this. There are lots of lurkers for whom eating VLCD is a really bad idea - youngsters who arent even overweight but think they need to be size 0, overweight people who think the only way to lose weight is eat tiny amounts and end up giving up, people who have been on the diet rollercoaster for years who lose and gain because they never learn to eat properly.

Thats why people on this site will continue to argue that VLCD is a bad idea and that a smaller deficit and patience is the way to go, because if it saves one kid from an eating disorder, or one morbidly obsese person from giving up then it is worth it.
    N9WOomX.gif
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything in the article that addresses my point? I was discounting the notion that people with high levels of BF% will somehow burn significant amounts of muscle tissue as opposed to fat when they significantly restrict calories and are in a deficit. They will always tend to burn fat before muscle. Do you want a study to show this or are we on the same page?
    Yes, PLEASE provide me a study to show this.
    I will agree that muscle loss may occur with elite athletes and not the average fatty posting here.
    From the study I linked too...
    >>One-hundred thirty overweight men (58) and women (72) between the ages of 40 and 56 were recruited into the study.<<
    >> Further, irrespective of the amount of weight lost, participants in the PRO group obtained greater improvements in body composition as reflected by greater FM [fat mass] loss and attenuated relative lean mass loss.<<
    The point here being that those didn't take protein DID suffer more noticable LBM loss. I don't have the full text of the study unfortunately.

No. Newbie with a different perspective is taking a different approach to weight loss which has upset the "eat more, not less" crowd. Drink our Kool aid or we get mad and post insults and immature memes and gifs cause we like to march in lock step with the conventional clap trap. And if you respond to our insults, we will call you a meanie.................
    I have eaten a good bit under the calories considered acceptable in the past and lost a good bit of weight while PRETTY MUCH maintaining STRENGTH. Recently for a month I lost significant weight while increasing STRENGTH.
    I would still like to see a study that proves the OP claims.
    I always like to see studes, because it gives me a better insight in to how our bodies work in reality.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hitting the gym for 33 years, knows more than all of us fools.... and is a self-proclaimed fattie.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hitting the gym for 33 years, knows more than all of us fools.... and is a self-proclaimed fattie.

And if this is all about eating nothing but water and air to lose 50lbs, what has being laid up with an injury got to do with it?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You estimated a rough TDEE/BMR. Decided to eat below these.

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.

you realize that you are just going to lose mainly water weight with your fast and then when you go back to eating at regular levels you will just gain most of what you lost back…

I would just keep doing what you are doing, as it is working...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i would be curious as to how you can direct your body to burn 100% fat and not reach for other sources of energy….fat burning is not a perfect process and there is always going to be additional energy (i.e. muslce) that is burned in the process….
  • RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why have you written this post??
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Wow, you're not paying for anything?? I wish I had a free gym and a free personal trainer.

I stick by a post I made a few pages back. Show me some good progress pictures where you don't look like crap for undereating and I will shut my mouth.

Show me a progress pic where you look half as good as any of the shirtless dudes in this thread who are telling you you're doing it wrong, and I will eat my damn hat.

Besides, I never claimed I was as lean as the 20 somethings here. I still have a way to go. And consider myself a fattie

been lifting and/or dieting since the 80's and is still a self proclaimed "fattie" yet, claims to know more than the rest of people who have had success and claims to be doing it better than them..

interesting thread...
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Background:

SW 11/01/2013 265lbs
    12/31/2013 220lbs
    CW 02/09/2014 217lbs

Dropped 40 plus in a couple of months. Stagnated/increased for a few weeks in January. Started working with a Body Builder/Nutrionalist 2 weeks ago. Started carb/calorie cycling and upping both. Weight loss resumed. After doing some research and reading here, I was concerned about slowed metabolism or metabolic damage. In order to lose the weight in the first couple of months, I was well below 1200 calories. Most days I was 700-900 calories and some days zero calories when I fasted, frequently. My estimated RMR was anywhere from 1800-2000 depending on the calculator used. So I had some pretty aggressive deficits and became concerned with a metabolic slowdown. Decided to get an RMR test to get more accurate RMR/BMR and TDEE numbers so I could re-assess and try to get off another 10-20lbs. Test came back today and I was expecting the bad news. I was shocked:

RMR was about 2300!

That is about 10%-25% HIGHER than the estimates. Chest and biceps are up and waist is down. So LBM is way up and fat is way down. I was gonna up the calories today to celebrate and take the weight off slower. Screw that! I am so jacked and pumped I am going to do a 36 hour fast and squeeze off a few more pounds and restrict calories this week to get off as much as possible. I find that whenever I fast, I set a new lower weight baseline that makes it easier to take the weight down. Another week of sacrifice aint no biggie. I can do another week of a couple grilled chicken caesar salads and water per day. Next week the Bodybuilder will come up with new higher numbers to cycle up the calories and carbs. I'm gonna guess he'll want to take up the low end and high end UP by 100-200 calories per day. Light at the end of the tunnel. Goal weight is in the single digits.

Ever thought of NOT starving yourself and get the weight off slowly - it will have taken more than a few weeks to put the weight on so is gonna take more than that to get the weight off. Your methods are not really appropriate for sustained weight loss...unless you plan on eating this way for the rest of your life...
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ed017-yates.jpg

dorian.jpg

Balancing Weight Loss versus LBM. This is a problem NOBODY here has....................

I know this has no relevance but I think that is hideous! Fair play to have that level of dedication but I think that is awful! lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Who is "the Body Builder" that OP keeps talking about? Is this one particular person?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Who is "the Body Builder" that OP keeps talking about? Is this one particular person?

I assumed he meant whoever is "training" him.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    OP - was it tested by breathing into a device thingy? If so, they're not great. I had this done (before I found MFP and the error of my ways) before starting a protein sparing VLCD diet. Was seemingly around the 1400 mark before I starved myself for months for the end test result to be in the region of 1900?!? So, without any resistance training I seemingly had a massive improvement - even though my *kitten* turned to a saggy grannyish mess as opposed to what I've got now from squats etc.

I'm with the others who are telling you not to drop calories more - if it is an accurate RMR reading, you surely want to keep it good and high (by preserving as much LBM as possible)?
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Why have you written this post??

^^^^^^^^^^^YES
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    You know what mate you are old enough to make your own decisions. If you want to eat so little for a week knock yourself out.

You really need to know your audience though because it isnt just the people replying who are reading this. There are lots of lurkers for whom eating VLCD is a really bad idea - youngsters who arent even overweight but think they need to be size 0, overweight people who think the only way to lose weight is eat tiny amounts and end up giving up, people who have been on the diet rollercoaster for years who lose and gain because they never learn to eat properly.

Thats why people on this site will continue to argue that VLCD is a bad idea and that a smaller deficit and patience is the way to go, because if it saves one kid from an eating disorder, or one morbidly obsese person from giving up then it is worth it.

Excellent response which many of us fail to remember when posting here.
  • ndj1979
    Options

apparently, it is the broscientist that he gets all his information from....
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I love how he always capitalizes it, as if it's a proper noun. He's giving this person more credit than they deserve in more ways than one.

Regardless, this was a somewhat entertaining read to start the day...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

apparently, it is the broscientist that he gets all his information from....

You crazy son... he is training with the GOAT Dorian Yates himself!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    OP - was it tested by breathing into a device thingy? If so, they're not great. I had this done (before I found MFP and the error of my ways) before starting a protein sparing VLCD diet. Was seemingly around the 1400 mark before I starved myself for months for the end test result to be in the region of 1900?!? So, without any resistance training I seemingly had a massive improvement - even though my *kitten* turned to a saggy grannyish mess as opposed to what I've got now from squats etc.

I'm with the others who are telling you not to drop calories more - if it is an accurate RMR reading, you surely want to keep it good and high (by preserving as much LBM as possible)?

It seems from this one study that the Bodygem is reasonable accurate and consistent http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16837422
This discussion has been closed.