What to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am not big on cottage cheese in general, due to the texture. However, I love this oatmeal pancake recipe that happens to use cottage cheese to make the pancakes high in protein.

http://www.biggest-loser-recipes.com/oatmeal-pancakes.html

I use whole eggs in place of the egg whites and stevia or splenda in place of the sugar. Going to retry cottage cheese in some of the ways listed above soon.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Loving this thread.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like large curd regular cottage cheese ( the low fat kind doesn't taste very good, not worth the difference IMHO) with a tablespoon of whole caraway seed sprinkled over it.

I agree that the taste and texture of the 4% cottage cheese is SO much better than the low-fat kind....just my opinion!
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So many ideas!!!

Thank you everyone! :D
  • patemelt1
    patemelt1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I often make it into a low-fat, low-sugar dessert...

1 small box of sugar-free gelatin (choose your favorite flavor)
    1 8.0oz container of sugar-free or fat-free Cool Whip, thawed
    1 15.0oz can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 24.0oz container of 1% cottage cheese

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine gelatin and cottage cheese. Stir in crushed pineapple. Fold in Cool-Whip. Store in the refrigerator. So easy and so refreshing!
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    So many things!!! I like to

-Eat it plain
    -Eat it on toast (can add pepper or avocado)
    -Eat it in a spinach omelet
    -Blend it with yogurt and parmesan cheese for healthier creamy sauce (for pasta, etc)
    -Do spinach "florentine" with sauteed spinach, then stir in some cottage cheese
    -Eat it on tostada shells (I know, weird lol! It's something I picked up from my grandma - I like the crunchy/creamy combination)

I know some people like to eat it with fruit too, but I personally don't like the sweet/salty combo.
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese used to be one of my favorite things to eat. I ate it with fruit most of the time. Have you tried it with Avocado? How about mixing it with chopped eggs and chives for a new twist on egg salad? Give it a dash of Hungarian Paprika for a little kick. Toss it with chopped cucumber. Serve it with Raviolis and sauce for a mock lasagna. Ah heck, just eat it straight out of the container if you want to. Stuff it in a tomato with some tuna fish. Drizzle it olive oil and chopped garlic. Stir in some sweet bell peppers. Dip celery, carrots and jicama in it. Eat it on crunch master crackers. I could go on like this all day. I hope you found these suggestions helpful. Oh one of my favorite Indian dishes is Palaak Paneer. I love the cheese curds in this dish.:flowerforyou: Enjoy!
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe made with Lemon Jello. I just don't like the calorie count even though it is sugar free.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I mix in salsa and eat it with crackers. NOM

Spoonful in scrambled eggs makes them extra creamy

Use it in layered pasta dishes in place of ricotta
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup lowfat small curd cottage cheese
    sprinkle cinnamon
    sprinkle stevia in the raw
    1/3 cup frozen whole blueberries

i set this up in a small sealed container in the order listed above, and bring it to work with me.

about an hour or so in to my day, the berries are defrosted and then i takes my spoon and I smush it all up together into a yummy, purple, low-carb, low-sugar, high protein snacky snack parfait.

you welcome.

=^x^=
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mzz07dMWlz1rbu2cc.gif

Serious. There's only one way to enjoy cottage cheese. ... With sliced peaches in it.
  • bridgettespage
    Options
    I love theidea of mixing it with tuna brilliant
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It is AMAZING as a substitute for milk in scrambled eggs.....
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I mix it with crushed or diced pineapple, and have with some protein for a great breakfast!
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize in advance if it's duplicate in nature.

I make protein pancakes for breakfast. Equal parts of these 3 ingredients (I use 1/3 cup of each for a single serving): fat free cottage cheese, egg whites and oats or oat flour. I usually top mine with 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder mixed with 1 Tbsp of PB2 (thinned with water to desired spreadable consistency). I calculated this at 258 calories (without extras/modifications) - 30 grams of protein! You can tweak it a bunch of different ways by adding vanilla, stevia, ground flaxseed, protein powder, chia seeds etc but that would add to your calorie count. Good luck!
  • melyn11
    Options
    I have't read many responses, but I've heard wonderful things about blending cottage cheese with flax see oil, and adding in some bits of frozen fruit - makes it creamy like pudding.
  • justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My kid's favorite:

Cottage Cheese Chicken Dip

2 cups cottage cheese
    1 can Kirkland Chicken Breast, drained
    Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing seasoning to taste

Eat with veggies or crackers (or potato chips in my former life!)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Sweet breakfast treat:

I bread
    1 T jam of choice. (I use raspberry)
    2 T cottage cheese

Put under broiler until bubbly enjoy
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup lowfat small curd cottage cheese
    sprinkle cinnamon
    sprinkle stevia in the raw
    1/3 cup frozen whole blueberries

i set this up in a small sealed container in the order listed above, and bring it to work with me.

about an hour or so in to my day, the berries are defrosted and then i takes my spoon and I smush it all up together into a yummy, purple, low-carb, low-sugar, high protein snacky snack parfait.

you welcome.

=^x^=

OK this sounds INCREDIBLE. Definitely trying this tomorrow!!!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    3 ways I love it - I tend to go savory:

1. Just tons of cracked black pepper! Yum
    2. Greek ish style: Black kalamata olives, diced cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, bell peppers and spinach, black pepper - Yum Yum
    3. Texas Caviar Style: Corn niblets, black beans, jalepenos, spinach, red peppers, tomatoes, red onion, cumin and chili powder - Yum yum yum!

Eat this on it's own or with pita triangles or whole grain crackers or toss it with lettuce to make a salad! MMMmmmmm Enjoy!