WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST TIP FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Options

Replies

• lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    when you go home...don't put on your biggest sweats. As a girl I put on my skinny jeans and watch my gut hangover.....nothing kills an urge to snack like a gut hanging over the waistline.

stay positive. It's what you do a majority of the time that counts!

Good one!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    When you are exercising and you feel like you are going to die keep going!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    progress not perfection.
  • dhernandez28
    Options
    Make sure you want to lose for yourself and no one else. Find a workout you enjoy to do and instead of trying to eat smaller portions use smaller plates and bowls itll force you to eat less.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Everyone's covered the big tips, so I'd say: vary what you eat, and have fun with your meals. Cook new things, try new, weird, potentially gross vegetables. Expand your horizons!
  • g1mt1m
    Options
    A cardio workout in the evening having consumed your calorie in take in the day. After workout eat VERY lightly (a piece of fruit?) go to bed hungry.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too few calories. That can keep you from losing just as easily as eating too many. You've got to find your "ideal" calorie range.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the 10 pages of responses, but my tip is PORTION CONTROL. When I first joined MFP, I bought a kitchen scale and began weighing my food and was amazed at how much I was overeating.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It's about changing your relationship with food. It takes a long time to break old habits and build new ones, so be patient and don't give up :)
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    How come you don't want to hear "eat less"? Because that's what at least half of these tips are, and they're good ones.
  • thedreamsaver
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you must restrict your calorie intake, period! We started a weight loss contest on January 6th and since then I went from 231 to 219 by reducing my calorie intake to below 1500 and walking on the treadmill 3 to 4 days a week for 25 minutes up to 40 min depending on how I feel. I'm eating breakfast every morning which consists of at least a Special K crisp (I used to never eat breakfast) and be starving by lunch time! If you use the MyFitnessPal app and monitor your calories, and walk a little you WILL lose weight. The best part to doing this is you can eat pretty much what you want, but you must burn off whatever you intake over the 1500 calories to lose consistently. It's easy, you just have to be a little motivated and force yourself to get moving somedays even if you don't really want too. I've lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks! :)
  • 1) Be honest when you log your calories.
    2) Lots of water and tea (without sugar and milk is 0 cal!)
    3) Set reasonable goals for yourself, for example 5 pounds in two weeks or something
    4) Change your eating habits. Cut out the takeaways, cakes, sweets etc. If you really are craving something, set a goal and go have some.
    5) Lots of exercise. Key to weight loss is to burn more than you eat
    6) Be patient, it doesn't happen overnight
    7) Take charge of your portion controls. Don't eat more than you need.
    8) Eat until you're 80% full. It takes your stomach 20 minutes to realize it's full
    9) If you are hungry, and it's not a mealtime, have a snack. Have a glass of water or tea, and if you're still hungry, grab a banana or another fruit, or nuts or make yourself a sandwich. If you're truly hungry, your body is probably asking for nutrients.
    10) Love yourself. Key to weight loss is changing your eating habits, not abuse yourself until you achieve your goal.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If you slip up, don't let it derail you! You can't change the past but you can make better choices going forward (I should follow my own advice......)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Stick to it.

Even if you go off your diet for a day or a week, don't consider it a failure, get back on the horse and stick to it!
  • cdfitness200
    cdfitness200 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that you should journal everything! It keeps you honest. I have journaled for years, but since my renewed efforts at weight loss this year, the most beneficial thing for me has been an exercise goal, with a fitness buddy (to keep me accountable on days I am not feeling it). I have never been a runner, but I signed up for a 15K in March and a half marathon in May. Training for the races has been a much better goal than just obsessing about food and a number on the scale all of the time. I have a fun goal to work towards and the collateral benefit just happens to be weight loss. It's pretty easy to stay motivated because I wont be able to run them if I don't train, and I will be wasting the $$$ for the entry fee. Plus, when you bust your butt in the gym for 45 minutes and only burn 300 calories, it really makes you think twice about which calories you consume. I am starting to actually crave healthier foods like chicken, fish, veggies and fruits, because you get so much more bang for your buck, and it all started with his whole new healthier lifestyle!
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Be honest and realistic with yourself.
  • jogo8995
    jogo8995 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't let a setback derail you!
  • blkericia
    blkericia Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    strive for it!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals that are sustainable long term, dont deprive yourself of things you enjoy, stay focused on the goal and be consistent!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    1. Don't lie to yourself- not logging that one (five) piece(s) of candy "just this one time" will add up.

2. Don't cheat yourself- Overestimating your exercise, not doing that last set because "you're tired" will not give you the results you're looking for

3. Change your mindset- you're not on a diet. This is how you eat now. As much as possible see your food as fuel and not a source of comfort. When someone asks if you want something that doesn't fit your plan, instead of denying yourself and saying "I can't eat that I'm on a diet..." Say "I don't eat/need that." First, you sound far superior (which I really enjoy) and mentally it changes how your react, you're in control and no longer a victim of your "diet". We all want what we can't have.

4. Stop looking at the scale everyday- If you're doing the right things (exercise, calorie deficit, healthy macros) you're going to see progress. It won't be linear and it won't necessarily be as fast as you want so just trust the process and get the eff off the scale. (I set a day, Sunday are weigh in days. That's it.)

5. Don't give up- See above, progress is not linear and does not happen on our schedule. Keep at it. Don't look for the next hottest fad diet to help you "blast belly fat in 30 days" that's BS. The recipe is simple Eat Less Move More. Keep doing it and you will eventually see what you want as long as you're not doing 1 & 2

6. Your true measure of progress is how your body feels and how you feel about your body.