Snacking too much!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Straw-man argument, I haven't seen anyone on this site claiming that some foods don't have a higher nutrient value than others. But I have seen PLENTY of people trying to claim that these so called "bad" foods are responsible for an entire plethora of ailments when they have absolutely NO evidence to back the claims.

So you don't believe that the SAD is responsible for America's obesity and overall health woes? Huh. Because I'm pretty sure every scientist, nutritionist and doctor would disagree with you on that one.

The SAD diet is, yes.

Because it's the overall diet that matters. It's not the occasional ding dong.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone made the claim that kale = a ding dong…

and to your fist point …you pretty much just agreed with what everyone has been saying to the OP …so why come in here complaining when you actually agree with what the majority of people are saying?

because I wholeheartedly disagree with the manner in which it's said.

please re-read and tell me that ALL of you were the pinnacle of respect and politeness. :flowerforyou:

I have been in since page 1 ….actually, the people that came in saying don't eat the ding dong where way more off base then the other side…I mean one person compared a bowl of sugary cereal to heroin, really? The other chick said it was feeding your body "sh**", etc, etc….so I think you may want to re-read and reconsider...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What if we wrap the ding dong in kale?

Why would you ruin a perfectly good snack cake by wrapping it in a weird garnish?

Fair point. What if I place a small piece of kale on the plate somewhere?

I suppose that would be acceptable.

I really want a ding dong but all I have on hand is oatmeal cream pies. #Thestruggleisreal
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    that does not mean a kale salad = a ding dong. get it? one is more healthful and nutritious than the other.

The ding dong is arguably more nutritious than kale.

fine. nevermind. make that argument please.

nu·tri·tious
    n(y)o͞oˈtriSHəs/Submit
    adjective
    nourishing; efficient as food.

By that definition, the higher Carbs, Protein and Fat in a ding dong could arguably make it more nourishing or efficient as food.

You can't eat enough Kale to nourish your body properly. It's not efficient as food.

shame I thought you were going to help me compare nutrient profiles in which we'd see kale far surpasses a ding dong.

yall are hilarious.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Straw-man argument, I haven't seen anyone on this site claiming that some foods don't have a higher nutrient value than others. But I have seen PLENTY of people trying to claim that these so called "bad" foods are responsible for an entire plethora of ailments when they have absolutely NO evidence to back the claims.

So you don't believe that the SAD is responsible for America's obesity and overall health woes? Huh. Because I'm pretty sure every scientist, nutritionist and doctor would disagree with you on that one.

The SAD diet is, yes.

Because it's the overall diet that matters. It's not the occasional ding dong.

exactly. when did I say it was? you're ignoring my actual argument and redirecting and deflecting again. :smile:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Now you're extrapolating. Any food can make up part of a healthy diet, so no food is inherently bad. It is the combination and amount of foods one chooses to imbibe that determines the overall quality of diet.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I don't think anyone made the claim that kale = a ding dong…

and to your fist point …you pretty much just agreed with what everyone has been saying to the OP …so why come in here complaining when you actually agree with what the majority of people are saying?

because I wholeheartedly disagree with the manner in which it's said.

please re-read and tell me that ALL of you were the pinnacle of respect and politeness. :flowerforyou:

I have been in since page 1 ….actually, the people that came in saying don't eat the ding dong where way more off base then the other side…I mean one person compared a bowl of sugary cereal to heroin, really? The other chick said it was feeding your body "sh**", etc, etc….so I think you may want to re-read and reconsider...

:flowerforyou:
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Now you're extrapolating. Any food can make up part of a healthy diet, so no food is inherently bad. It is the combination and amount of foods one chooses to imbibe that determines the overall quality of diet.

no food is inherently bad, but can a particular food be "worse" than another particular food in a vacuum?
  • I drink a couple teaspoons of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with my meals and I can tell a huge difference on my cravings between meals. It is vinegar so it doesn't taste amazing. Some people mix it with juice or something else. I just swig it from the jar and chase it with whatever I'm drinking. But ACV has many many health benifits...weight loss being one ;)
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    I drink a couple teaspoons of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with my meals and I can tell a huge difference on my cravings between meals. It is vinegar so it doesn't taste amazing. Some people mix it with juice or something else. I just swig it from the jar and chase it with whatever I'm drinking. But ACV has many many health benifits...weight loss being one ;)

Love that ACV but you're a braver person than I. I've always had to dilute it. :tongue:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    that does not mean a kale salad = a ding dong. get it? one is more healthful and nutritious than the other.

nu·tri·tious
    n(y)o͞oˈtriSHəs/Submit
    adjective

By that definition, the higher Carbs, Protein and Fat in a ding dong could arguably make it more nourishing or efficient as food.

You can't eat enough Kale to nourish your body properly. It's not efficient as food.

shame I thought you were going to help me compare nutrient profiles in which we'd see kale far surpasses a ding dong.

yall are hilarious.

Oh sure it's got more micronutrients .. but without the carbs, protein and fat ... well it's like saying a multivitamin is more nutritious.
  • jonnythan
    Options

no food is inherently bad, but can a particular food be "worse" than another particular food in a vacuum?

No. And no food should have the guilt that comes with the labeling of it as "bad." There's nothing wrong with a ding dong if it fits into your nutritional goals.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

nu·tri·tious
    n(y)o͞oˈtriSHəs/Submit
    adjective

yall are hilarious.

Oh sure it's got more micronutrients .. but without the carbs, protein and fat ... well it's like saying a multivitamin is more nutritious.

look up kale's nutrient profile. It has carbs, fat and protein as well as miles more micronutrients.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

No. And no food should have the guilt that comes with the labeling of it as "bad." There's nothing wrong with a ding dong if it fits into your nutritional goals.

that wasn't the question. I said in a vacuum. is a ding dong not less nutritious in a vacuum than an equal caloric load of kale?
  • jonnythan
    Options

nu·tri·tious
    n(y)o͞oˈtriSHəs/Submit
    adjective

yall are hilarious.

look up kale's nutrient profile. It has carbs, fat and protein as well as miles more micronutrients.

More micro nutrients doesn't mean better. People don't get that.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Nope, because the value of the food is entirely situational.

ETA: This is like trying to say one species is "better" than another, the statement can only be made in situ, the environment influences the outcome.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

nu·tri·tious
    n(y)o͞oˈtriSHəs/Submit
    adjective

yall are hilarious.

More micro nutrients doesn't mean better. People don't get that.

...it.... it... it just does.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

so is there a situation in which a food may be bad? i'm just trying to understand.
  • jonnythan
    Options

that wasn't the question. I said in a vacuum. is a ding dong not less nutritious in a vacuum than an equal caloric load of kale?

It is not, no. Good vs bad nutrition depends on the nutrients the body needs so there is no vacuum.

But I'll tell you, if I've met my other goals for the day and just got out of a tennis match at 10 pm and have 300 calories to eat.... I'm not going to go for three pounds of kale. I'll take the ding dongs.
  • jonnythan
    Options

so is there a situation in which a food may be bad? i'm just trying to understand.

Yes. When it doesn't fit into your nutrient goals. Doesn't matter if the food is an avocado or a Big Mac. It's poor nutrition if it doesn't allow you to reach your goals.