Snacking too much!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If eating junk food helps you stay on track go for it but if you want to eat clean find alternatives and slowly phase out of your bad habit. If you don't eat to "eat clean" don't necessarily force yourself because that will cause stress and that leads to weight gain

It seems that you don't really care and are totally ok with how you eat and that it works for you. You seem more worried if it is socially acceptable or if is normal. Don't stress about something you don't need I.

why is eating cake, ice cream, cookies, et and maintaining a calorie deficit a "bad habit"???????

Food is just energy ..it is not bad or good …you don't need a certain type of food ….

Alright everyone seriously - I am not TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO! I am only offering my advice based on how I eat etc. If you're only goal is to have a calories deficit then by all means, eat whatever the h*ll you want - not my body not my problem. I choose not to put all that **** into my body - if you want to then go ahead.

You're not directly telling anyone what to do, but calling the food they eat **** and saying that things you know nothing about are bad or unhealthy is not going to go unnoticed.

You want to be able to call food I eat **** and say it's a "problem" and that it's "bad" without me responding because it's "just your opinion" and you are not "telling me what to do." It doesn't work that way. I can't tell you something that you do is wrong, bad, or **** and not expect you to respond because it's not my problem what you do with yourself.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    [/quote]

You're not directly telling anyone what to do, but calling the food they eat **** and saying that things you know nothing about are bad or unhealthy is not going to go unnoticed.

[/quote]

I am really sick of people attacking my intelligence. How do you know that I know "nothing," and what makes you such an expert? I really didn't start getting angry until I had a barage of people antagonizing me. It is incredibly frustrating when I am trying to offer advice based on my own experience with all types of food and I get nothing but backlash. But posts began as advice/opinions with longterm health in mind and now I feel like I have to defend myself which is utterly ridiculous.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I am really sick of people attacking my intelligence. How do you know that I know "nothing," and what makes you such an expert? I really didn't start getting angry until I had a barage of people antagonizing me. It is incredibly frustrating when I am trying to offer advice based on my own experience with all types of food and I get nothing but backlash. But posts began as advice/opinions with longterm health in mind and now I feel like I have to defend myself which is utterly ridiculous.

Pretty sure that if you can't pronounce a chemical you're not very educated and informed on it.

It's not a matter of intelligence but of education.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If eating junk food helps you stay on track go for it but if you want to eat clean find alternatives and slowly phase out of your bad habit. If you don't eat to "eat clean" don't necessarily force yourself because that will cause stress and that leads to weight gain

It seems that you don't really care and are totally ok with how you eat and that it works for you. You seem more worried if it is socially acceptable or if is normal. Don't stress about something you don't need I.

why is eating cake, ice cream, cookies, et and maintaining a calorie deficit a "bad habit"???????

Food is just energy ..it is not bad or good …you don't need a certain type of food ….

Alright everyone seriously - I am not TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO! I am only offering my advice based on how I eat etc. If you're only goal is to have a calories deficit then by all means, eat whatever the h*ll you want - not my body not my problem. I choose not to put all that **** into my body - if you want to then go ahead.

And we're just telling you your advice is silly, which is just as much our right as it is your right to offer it. This isn't a forum where (outside of success threads) you can just say whatever and not expect to be challenged if people disagree.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You want to be able to call food I eat **** and say it's a "problem" and that it's "bad" without me responding because it's "just your opinion" and you are not "telling me what to do." It doesn't work that way. I can't tell you something that you do is wrong, bad, or **** and not expect you to respond because it's not my problem what you do with yourself.

I do agree with this^. I really dislike people who say things like this which falls along the lines of: "I'm not a food snob and I don't look down on what others eat, I just eat real food."

:indifferent:

Oh. Okay then. :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that if you can't pronounce a chemical you're not very educated and informed on it.

^And agree with this. Seriously, I can't pronounce a lot of the stuff listed below...should I stop eating, well, everything?

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg
  • Achrya
    Options

^And agree with this. Seriously, I can't pronounce a lot of the stuff listed below...should I stop eating, well, everything?

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

Yes. Big words are scary and things composed of big words are not meant to be consumed. Duh.
  • Dmacho78
    Options
    There is no such thing as junk food, good or bad food, or clean or unclean food. Bad food is food that is spoiled and no longer edible, period ! Let's take a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and onions. Are onions junk food ? Is lettuce junk food ? Are tomatoes junk food ? Is beef junk food ? Is bread junk food ?

Let's take pork rinds for example. I think most people would put pork rinds in the junk food category, but does 9 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fat, and 76 calories per serving sound like junk food ?

Since we're all on myfitness pal, and presumably tracking are calories, none of us should be worried about "junk food." We should be worried about calorically dense food, because that's the problem. Obesity is the root of all the problems that so-called junk food causes. Diabetes, heart disease, etc. it all comes from eating too many calories.

Many people diet by simply eating foods that have less calories rather than tracking their calories. Many people don't count their calories, so they need to be afraid of certain types of foods. For them, calorically dense foods are bad foods because the way they choose to eat less calories is to eat food that has less calories; they're not counting their calories to make sure that they don't eat too much.

There is no empirical evidence that deems certain foods healthy and other foods unhealthy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yea fit them in your caloric goal...but better yet, why not just make healthier versions of your favorite snacks already? just make a switch. For example, instead of eating fries, go ahead and bake yourself some sweet potato fries....instead of eating cheesecake, make yourself a cheesecake out of greek yogurt, protein powder, lemon, egg whites and truvia believe me it tastes just as good but so much healthier for you...instead of eating chocolate pudding, go ahead and take some greek yogurt, teaspoon of truvia, 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and youre good to go add some berries....
    just make healthier options for the junk foods that you already love and itll help you transition and wean yourself off of it slowly

Doesn't pudding have like...40 calories a serving? Are we really finding issue with pudding now?

PUDDING?

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
    I always eat my meat.

Wait, what were we talking about?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

BOOM This! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dmacho78
    Options
    I think it does nothing to satisfy your long term goal assuming those are to be healthier and maintain a healthy weight. Having one ding dong instead of two - will help you lose weight in the short term but where are you going to end up in the long run....Of course, that's just my opinion. Do whatever your heart desires.

Lemme guess, you eat 'clean' and a ding dong is 'dirty'?

Do you have a problem with this? As I said - it's just my opinion. When I am hungry - I dont go for a sugary processed food that will leave me feeling unsatisfied, stilll hungry, kind of gross and eventually kind of tired. I work out intensely and I need my body to perform and ding dongs just arent going to hack it.

Shame on you Kadybaby for trying to give some advice that will help her not only with her goals but her long term health as well. Dont you know that you are only allowed to tell people that they should eat what ever they want, when ever they want, ESPECIALLY if it is fast food and processed?

My goodness who would guess on a fitness site that someone would actually give advice to some one to eat more nutrient dense food so they not only look great, they feel great too. :wink:
    And shame on you for being wrong. There is no such thing as a dirty or clean food. As long as you get the essential amount of protein & fat, and stay within you caloric limits, you're golden. The amount of carbs needed depends on the individual. This idea that certain foods are bad is what makes people fail at their diets. Good luck trying to eat chicken, broccoli and brown rice for rest of your life.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think it does nothing to satisfy your long term goal assuming those are to be healthier and maintain a healthy weight. Having one ding dong instead of two - will help you lose weight in the short term but where are you going to end up in the long run....Of course, that's just my opinion. Do whatever your heart desires.

Lemme guess, you eat 'clean' and a ding dong is 'dirty'?

Do you have a problem with this? As I said - it's just my opinion. When I am hungry - I dont go for a sugary processed food that will leave me feeling unsatisfied, stilll hungry, kind of gross and eventually kind of tired. I work out intensely and I need my body to perform and ding dongs just arent going to hack it.

Shame on you Kadybaby for trying to give some advice that will help her not only with her goals but her long term health as well. Dont you know that you are only allowed to tell people that they should eat what ever they want, when ever they want, ESPECIALLY if it is fast food and processed?

My goodness who would guess on a fitness site that someone would actually give advice to some one to eat more nutrient dense food so they not only look great, they feel great too. :wink:
    Do you have a nice set of armor?
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as junk food, good or bad food, or clean or unclean food. Bad food is food that is spoiled and no longer edible, period ! Let's take a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and onions. Are onions junk food ? Is lettuce junk food ? Are tomatoes junk food ? Is beef junk food ? Is bread junk food ?

Let's take pork rinds for example. I think most people would put pork rinds in the junk food category, but does 9 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fat, and 76 calories per serving sound like junk food ?

Since we're all on myfitness pal, and presumably tracking are calories, none of us should be worried about "junk food." We should be worried about calorically dense food, because that's the problem. Obesity is the root of all the problems that so-called junk food causes. Diabetes, heart disease, etc. it all comes from eating too many calories.

Many people diet by simply eating foods that have less calories rather than tracking their calories. Many people don't count their calories, so they
    need to be afraid of certain types of foods. For them, calorically dense foods are bad foods because the way they choose to eat less calories is to eat food that has less calories; they're not counting their calories to make sure that they don't eat

There is no empirical evidence that deems certain foods healthy and other foods unhealthy.

Thank you for responding to my original post.
  • Achrya
    Options

Many people diet by simply eating foods that have less calories rather than tracking their calories. Many people don't count their calories, so they
    need to be afraid of certain types of foods. For them, calorically dense foods are bad foods because the way they choose to eat less calories is to eat food that has less calories; they're not counting their calories to make sure that they don't eat too much.

Thank you for responding to my original post and supporting me.

I would contend most of us support you; I wouldn't let silly later night bickering make you think that people here don't support you. I hope you'll take the time to look at those success stories I posted up for you; Sara and Jonny's at the very least.
  • rml_16
    Options

need to be afraid of certain types of foods. For them, calorically dense foods are bad foods because the way they choose to eat less calories is to eat food that has less calories; they're not counting their calories to make sure that they don't eat

Sorry. I figured it had all been covered. :-)

I'm on the eat the freaking Ding Dong train. As long as most of your diet is balanced and healthy and you are in a calorie deficit, an occassional (or even daily) treat shouldn't be harmful to any of your goals, whether it is simply losing weight, overall fitness or health.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

need to be afraid of certain types of foods. For them, calorically dense foods are bad foods because the way they choose to eat less calories is to eat food that has less calories; they're not counting their calories to make sure that they don't eat too much.

Thank you for responding to my original post and supporting me.

I would contend most of us support you; I wouldn't let silly later night bickering make you think that people here don't support you. I hope you'll take the time to look at those success stories I posted up for you; Sara and Jonny's at the very least.
    This. 100%. There are always going to be folks that just have some kind of hatred of things. Success... cupcakes... whatever. In general, there are plenty of folks that are going to try to do a few things:
    1. give honest feedback.
    2. push some sort of agenda.

doesn't mean that folks in both camps can't wish you well... then you get the late night "YOU ARE JUST ALWAYS GOING TO BE WRONG!" folks.

Don't let them deter you from reaching out for help/advice/opinions. These forums are great for advice, so long as you weed out the BS that is inherent with public opinion.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Out of curiosity. What are your thoughts about eating junk food even though you stay within your daily caloric goal? I have such a hard time getting any control over my snacking habits, but I'm wondering if it will prevent my weight loss progress.

The only thing that will hinder your weightloss progress is overeating - afterall, a pound is 3500 calories. Doesn't really matter the food. I find that I snack less when I eat foods that have a lot of fiber and protein, because I'm usually still full. Here's a helpful link someone posted earlier about good sources of protein:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

well said....! I agree, I just ate a chocolate bar , and added to my calories ...as long as I dont go over, I am good! thats the beauty of this MFP site.
    I personally don't believe that being a flexible dieter hinders weightloss. I'll indulge in some Twinkies for that sugar rush, and chocolate of course. If it fits into your calories and macros, I say go for it!

If you want to cut out certain foods, it's your prerogative to do so. But it isn't necessary to cut out certain foods to promote good health and weightloss. Moderation of your caloric intake is the key! :smile:

P.S. I discovered these Belgian chocolate seashells..........HNNnnnnng soooo good! :love: :love:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Sorry. I figured it had all been covered. :-)

I'm on the eat the freaking Ding Dong train. As long as most of your diet is balanced and healthy and you are in a calorie deficit, an occassional (or even daily) treat shouldn't be harmful to any of your goals, whether it is simply losing weight, overall fitness or health.

My GOD...is there really a ding dong train??? How do I get a ticket for THAT ride?? :flowerforyou:

Edited: Totally just re-read that and realized how it sounded...leaving it anyway. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You are right, you did not tell anyone what to do. You came in and posted your "holier than though" statement of "well if you want to eat a ding dong you can but you will feel like sh** and your gym performance will suffer. And I train very hard and I can't have my gym performance being affected..." < I am paraphrasing but that is about the gist of it...

Which, in my opinion, is complete and utter BS...I lift four to five times a week and sprint train once a week and I eat ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc, and have no issues with my training. I mean what did you expect? We were all going to be like "oh, yea that is so true, a ding dong will ruin my performance..." Of course not, we called BS on your statement...deal with it.

You can't expect to come into a public thread and post some garbage like that and not get called on it...

One last question for you ...Are Johnsonville sausages clean, and do they affect gym performance?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    In for ding dong trains.