Angry People

Options

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's funny that many people expect interactions on the internet to be exactly like real life, in certain ways, but at the same time don't notice things like how creepy/weird it would be to walk into a room of strangers and announce to everyone, "who wants to be my friend?"

Wait. Other people don't do that?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    speaking of angry …is reddy in here yet?

Y U HAVE TO JINX US!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Y U HAVE TO JINX US!

my bad, my bad….
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think its because there are not really any consequences for your actions - I could be horribly rude and mean and terrible on the internet and what is anybody really going to do except call me an *kitten*? If I was rude and horrible in real life - I would probably get what was coming to me.

Also, how easy is it to hide behind an avatar or a screen name? Super easy

I think the matter of consequences depends on the person. If I have hurt or offended someone and am legitimately in the wrong, I care even if it is just someone from the internet. So that is a consequence for me. If they are just being ridiculous...well that is a different story. I don't think I am really that much different in these forums than I am in real life, except for the fact that I am a bit more reserved here and not as blunt as I normally am.
  • luvmyfitbit
    luvmyfitbit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree with what you just said. Its scary out there. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Some people have a low tolerance to derp

Pretty much this.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • cindyb327
    cindyb327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    just a way to get it out i guess...evil is everywhere. love is the answer.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Insecurity, personality disorders, mental illness, poor social skills, an elevated sense of false importance, the ability to be powerful in anonymity...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    just a way to get it out i guess...evil is everywhere. love is the answer.

Assuming it is actually anger (and I'm 99.44% certain it is not in most cases), anger =/= evil.

Why would you equate those two things?
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Constipation. It happens to the best of us. :wink:
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Different personalities.

Boredom.

Strong opinions.

No life.

Insecure.

Frustration.

Passionate about beliefs.

*kitten*.

The list goes on and on. lol
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm a lot nicer on the MFP forums than I am in real life...because in interpersonal interactions, I can judge the reaction and push the limits. In text, I take a more measured approach and am slow to escalate it. Well, that the CG (all hail) in real life isn't nearly as restrictive as it is here.

*shrug*

Why would you push the limits ?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Oh, and I'm a lot nicer on the MFP forums than I am in real life...because in interpersonal interactions, I can judge the reaction and push the limits. In text, I take a more measured approach and am slow to escalate it. Well, that and the CG (all hail) in real life isn't nearly as restrictive as it is here.

*shrug*

Push the limits of humor. Most of my comments on MFP that have elicited an accusation of being "mean" have been humorous. In real life, you can scale up or down based on your immediate audience...but online, you don't have the same kind of immediate feedback or control over your audience. You're effectively talking to *everyone* and *no one* at the same time.

TL;DR - it's who I am.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm a lot nicer on the MFP forums than I am in real life...because in interpersonal interactions, I can judge the reaction and push the limits. In text, I take a more measured approach and am slow to escalate it. Well, that and the CG (all hail) in real life isn't nearly as restrictive as it is here.

*shrug*

Push the limits of humor. Most of my comments on MFP that have elicited an accusation of being "mean" have been humorous. In real life, you can scale up or down based on your immediate audience...but online, you don't have the same kind of immediate feedback or control over your audience. You're effectively talking to *everyone* and *no one* at the same time.

TL;DR - it's who I am.

Got it, that makes sence .

I'm a little slow tonight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Insecurity, personality disorders, mental illness, poor social skills, an elevated sense of false importance, the ability to be powerful in anonymity...
    I think you have it backwards.

Anonymous posters have no power over other anonymous posters.

Some of us realize that and our posts reflect the expectation that our posts have no power over anyone else. In those cases it is the exact opposite of an elevated sense of importance.
    Insecurity, personality disorders, mental illness, poor social skills,
    I would argue that these are more likely to result in someone being the victim on an anonymous message board, rather than the perpetrator.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think you have it backwards.

Anonymous posters have no power over other anonymous posters.

Some of us realize that and our posts reflect the expectation that our posts have no power over anyone else. In those cases it is the exact opposite of an elevated sense of importance.
    Insecurity, personality disorders, mental illness, poor social skills,
    I would argue that these are more likely to result in someone being the victim on an anonymous message board, rather than the perpetrator.

350x700px-LL-2d8378b0_preach6.gif
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hangry posters. :laugh:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a fat worthless nerd and I need to belittle others to feel better about myself.
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Anger is just a mask for pain. Often times when someone acts angrily it's a desire to be corrected (oxymoron I know). And with the internet a perfect filter for anonymity, people often let their walls become transparent.