"Girl" Pushups????

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    We were always taught the same thing. And it makes sense to do so. Hardly any girls in elementary can do a single full push up. Sort of hard to create any method of testing when none of them can complete a single repetition.

Citation, please. Or are you just making things up to suit your argument?
  • When I was growing up I was always told that I could never do what a boy can do, that's why girls don't play baseball or football. It was why as a kid I was never active. I wanted to do what the boys did but since I can't then I wont.

I am so hoping my future daughter wants to play football one day so I can reset the balance lol
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    @rml_16 -- Same here. My daughter is a personal trainer. She has everyone do "regular pushups" and those new can start with "girl pushups" even the guys. They just don't call them that because the world has gone word mad. After my hernia, I wimpered..'get now I have to do girl pushups." In 1978, we were told to do the harder ones if we could. EVERYONE. Not just the girls. So, I would imagine it is the teacher's option. We have a lot of home school kids. We teach the goal is to advance or even start right away with the regular push up.
  • RicaFit
    I am having the same issue here! I was very surprised to see they can not get their bodies off the floor. We start with the simple for them and let them know the goal is to get to five and then advance to the regular push up! That is what drew me to this conversation in the first place. Some are still "trying" to get to five! Just simply no body strength. The guys though, without any training, can pump out regular push ups. We are talking age range between 14 to 19! I would think they could just pump them out at that age, but not in a sedentary lifestyle common to kids today.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Oh Heelllllll no! I would be calling that as'shole and telling him that I don't appreciate his attempts to indoctrinate the future generations in sexist bullshi t.

I love how you jumped right in and made the gy, teacher a male when it specifically states in the OP:
    Her: "You know! A girl pushup! The teacher said that boys and girls do different kinds of pushups and we can get extra credit tomorrow if we show her that we know how to do a girl pushup."

Sexist pig!

That's because everyone knows that all sexism comes from males.

Duh.

Everybody knows that.

Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice. :AngelicEmoticonMFPReallyNeedsToGet:

Didn't you read as a kid? Geez...

Hey! I'm on your side!!!

:angry:

So shut up and get back in the...

...uh...

...other room.

Sorry, jof...let me make you a conciliatory sammich!
  • RicaFit
    For all those in doubt that kids cannot do push ups in school, go to the gym teacher and ask....These kids today are not in shape.
    To call that sexist is sad.I have been exercising with kids since my mother opened her first day care center and home school.
    If you do not believe those that are stating kids cannot do push ups, instead of insulting and calling the person making a post a sexist... GO TO THE SCHOOL and check out kids that have NO PE!
    The movie WALL·E | Disney Movies is not joking about what is happening to people's bodies today.
    So... rather than insult or demand those of us that have experience with children being out shape, do your own research. Go have a few children without PE in elementary school. or even sad to say higher grades, do a few push ups for you.
    And YES ... girls are worse. I will take a video next time I have a few over 18 over. The boys triple the girls in reps of nearly ever exercise - and none of them practice outside their times here despite encouragement.
    It is so sad seeing pre-teen children going to my daughter's personal studio unable to do the basics. I LOVE PE and wish it was in every school at least three times a week. A home-school parents really need to include it for their children's overall well being.
  • I'm sure that the majority of the ladies (girls) on here would certainly show me a thing or two on how to do a (boys) press-up.

I would like to try and stir it up and call you all weak girly girls but it would be very embarrassing for me, should we ever have a press-up off.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Honestly I never heard of such non-sense in my school growing up. The gym teacher always had the boys and girls do same activity whether it was basketball or volleyball or push-ups and sit-ups. If a male or female could not do lets say push-ups then the teacher would tell then to do half-ups. I never heard the terms mentioned in here ever used , there is no exercise thats labeled "girl-push-ups" I never heard such stupidity in my life.
  • RicaFit
    I am a very strong women. I could bet the boys in every leg wrestling and arm wrestling match until they reach puberty. I can still beat them in leg wrestling. I won the arm hang in junior high school. I do construction right along my husband. I am in better shape than my husband overall.

However, I am weaker than the men. That is not being sexist. That is reality.

They can lift drywall alone. It takes two of us strong girls.

Hands down. Men are amazingly stronger than women in general. There are the ones of us that are stronger than others, but over all men are stronger. That is not sexist That is reality. To teach we are equal in strength is a lie to this and the next generation. It puts an undo stress on the children to measure up. We were tearing out a wall yesterday, (myself, my daughter, and a younger female friend). We did everything our strength could do. A man walked in.. we all three happily stepped back to have him get the board we could not get out without a saw. The thank yous and great timing were mentioned, and we continued without him for the rest of the project. He was able to do it alone. We could not do it with three of us (without a tool). He was our tool ! :) We need to stop diluting our girls they are equal to men in physical strength. Madison yelled, "I did that like a man." when one of the sections came out. I laughed so hard. I told her she did it beautifully.. like a women. I assured them both we are all doing a fabulous job, but men could have completed the task with much less time an effort. Regardless, we are women and we did terrific, so why compare! She still did her muscle pose. She is 14 and already has the stupid comparison garbage that I did not have to deal with when I was young. I was strong.. for ME. I worked hard for me. I was not compared to my extraordinarily stronger brother or my much much weaker and fragile sister. This we are equal in things we are not equal in nonsense is damaging our children of this generation mentally and emotionally.
  • rml_16
    However, I am weaker than the men. That is not being sexist. That is reality.

A pushup is a body weight exercise. It isn't the same as lifting drywall. "Weaker" is a relative term and really has no place in this discussion because this teacher isn't saying a girl can't bench 1,000 pounds and a boy can. She's telling girls they CANNOT and SHOULD NOT even TRY doing a regular pushup.

That absolutely is sexist and wrong.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    For those of you missing what is sexist about labeling assisted, or modified, push-ups "girl push-ups", please allow me to break it down for you.

1. No one is debating that males, on average, have greater explosive muscular strength and endurance than their female counterparts. There is empirical evidence to support this.

2. Males, on average, having greater explosive muscular strength and endurance does not affect whether or not females can perform full push-ups.

3. Your anecdotal evidence of school-aged females' ability to perform full push-ups is just that... anecdotal. Cite fitness benchmarks from a credible source.

4. Assigning the term "girl" to modified push-ups is bad for both genders, not just females. It establishes that females should operate in a diminished capacity and it establishes that males whom cannot perform full push-ups are not entitled to their male gender identity.
  • Thats awesome! Go Mom!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    For those of you missing what is sexist about labeling assisted, or modified, push-ups "girl push-ups", please allow me to break it down for you.

1. No one is debating that males, on average, have greater explosive muscular strength and endurance than their female counterparts. There is empirical evidence to support this.

2. Males, on average, having greater explosive muscular strength and endurance does not affect whether or not females can perform full push-ups.

3. Your anecdotal evidence of school-aged females' ability to perform full push-ups is just that... anecdotal. Cite fitness benchmarks from a credible source.

4. Assigning the term "girl" to modified push-ups is bad for both genders, not just females. It establishes that females should operate in a diminished capacity and it establishes that males whom cannot perform full push-ups are not entitled to their male gender identity.

End of Thread.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member

End of Thread.

I second this!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22561975

The assisted push up is used in schools for strength testing purposes once every few months. Not as strength training. There may be exceptions based on PE teacher preferences, but this is true in most schools.The test would be worthless if the majority of girls were unable to perform it. Which is reality. Your judo class is obviously a much more physically capable subset.
    You linked an abstract that supported you in one determination only: that boys performed better than girls in the areas of aerobic fitness, strength, speed and agility while girls performed better in the areas of balance and flexibility. Nowhere, in the cited documentation, is there anything to confirm your half-baked claim that "most girls between the ages of 5 and 12 years old can't do a full push-up". Even were that true, it is still not okay to refer to an assisted, or modified, push-up as a "girl push-up". It negatively impacts individuals of both genders, a point which has been made by numerous posters in this thread.

Reinforcing sexist, stigmatic language because you are too egocentric to recognize your own privilege is not, in fact, "telling it like it is". It's actually doing the opposite. It's refusing to take into account myriad factors and the individual, as well as institutional, experiences of others and substituting your own "reality" in lieu of them.

Delusions

You're debating factors and causation. That's irrelevant when creating testing methodology. Up to 30% (google this) of children, male and female, can't complete a single pushup. The number is worse for females. You can't create a decent study showing strength over time for a large subset of children if 30 or 40% of them are only doing 1-2 reps. The assisted pushup is needed in the testing.

Sure, call it assisted pushup instead. That's not what I was arguing and you know it. Or you just entirely missed the point. It would have also been nice if you scrolled up and read what I quoted. You did not,
  • rml_16
    Up to 30% (google this) of children, male and female, can't complete a single pushup.

You're making this claim. You google it and post the link.

I don't believe it for a second, especially that more girls than boys can't complete a single pushup.

Not because I don't think men overall are stronger. They are. But this is a body weight exercise and subjective.
  • trojan_bb
    Up to 30% (google this) of children, male and female, can't complete a single pushup.

I don't believe it for a second, especially that more girls than boys can't complete a single pushup.

Not because I don't think men overall are stronger. They are. But this is a body weight exercise and subjective.

Except that the bodyweights for these weakest 30% children are nearly the same between genders. They can't do the pushups because they're overweight, according to the PE teachers.

And no, I'm on my phone and have no desire to google again for you and post links. If you want it, you can find it. I have nothing to prove and no investment in this ridiculous thread.
  • rml_16

Except that the bodyweights for these weakest 30% children are nearly the same between genders. They can't do the pushups because they're overweight, according to the PE teachers.

For fun, I googled "30% of children can't do a single pushup" and got exactly nothing that supports your claim.
  • rml_16
    And no, I'm on my phone and have no desire to google again for you and post links. If you want it, you can find it. I have nothing to prove and no investment in this ridiculous thread.

Then why do you keep coming back and saying such ridiculous things?
  • trojan_bb

For fun, I googled "30% of children can't do a single pushup" and got exactly nothing that supports your claim.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/health/nutrition/11well.html?_r=0

Here's one showing 50% of male children and 75% of female children meet pushup targets (this is more than one pushup of course, I know)

The 30% stats are in some other articles that I don't remember what I googled to find. But the above study illustrates my original point well.

And I'm done. Every point I made on the last page was in response to ONE person who claimed prepubescent strength levels should be the same between genders. My quote was in response to her, not the OP or any other claim.