not giving up meat for Lent

Options
I need the protein. I already don't get enough- I don't get nearly any vegetarian protein. I am giving up alcohol, even on Sundays... I will give up all drinks besides water, coffee, and an occasional diet soda. I think limiting my eating (i.e. not eating pizza, cheesesteaks, or the cheesecake that is currently in my fridge) is enough... I think God can forgive me for that.

Replies

• littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever gave up meat for Lent. I usually just did the required replacement of red meat for white meat (fish) on Fridays/Ash Wednesday, thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

I kind of laugh at how an old boyfriend and I used to go on Olive Garden dates, if it was a Lent Friday I'd eat the fat loaded seafood alfredo, drink craploads of booze, probably ate the tirimisu, too... but I ate fish, right? Go Lent! :laugh:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you're Catholic, you only *have* to give up meat only on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent and replacing with fish. Not the entirety of lent. :) And besides, fish has tons of protein!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever gave up meat for Lent. I usually just did the required replacement of red meat for white meat (fish) on Fridays, thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

I kind of laugh at how an old boyfriend and I used to go on Olive Garden dates, if it was a Lent Friday I'd eat the fat loaded seafood alfredo, drink craploads of booze, probably ate the tirimisu, too... but I ate fish, right? Go Lent! :laugh:

For some reason I no longer have a sweet tooth or desire fast food but the two things I really enjoy are coffee and wine. Since I would be unbearable to live with in the morning without my coffee, I will give up my wine for 40 days and probably lose a pound or two during the process.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Give up being Catholic for Lent. :laugh: (teasing)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I gave up picking my bellybutton for Lent.:wink:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you're Catholic, you only *have* to give up meat only on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent and replacing with fish. Not the entirety of lent. :) And besides, fish has tons of protein!

I can't stop laughing right now because your avatar at first glance looked like the two Moses 10 commandment tablets and I didn't realize it was a slice of bread!

One would think if I was hungry and in a church it would be the other way around and I'd see food in everything. :laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

That would be pescatarian, not vegetarian
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

That would be pescatarian, not vegetarian

xD the clue being in the stem of the word "vege" ;)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I always remembered the whole no-meat-on-friday thing as I was biting into pepperoni pizza. After some time, I just realized I'm a terrible Catholic and stopped with Lent altogether.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

I'm not Catholic but still giving something up during Lent, not for the church, but to concentrate and focus on what Jesus has done for me. I think you may be missing the point of Lent. Wink.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

56g of protein? Maybe if you weigh 75lbs!!!

Thats the only AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA i see
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking.

And is she asking for our blessing? I'm pagan and vegetarian. I'm going to hell, anyway.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Give up meat for lent - no way!

What did Jesus ever give up for me?
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ...and y'all just made me realize I included 2 slices of ham in my salad for lunch today.

I'm of the same opinion and background as JNettie though, so I'm pretty sure I'll end up eating it.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    while giving up meat on friday's and ash wed during lent is traditional, it is really about the sacrifice. If you choose to eat meat on those days just make another sacrifice in your life. It doesn't have to be all about "giving up" anything. Many people choose to do something extra. Maybe one chooses to pray daily, or study the bible. Maybe one chooses to volunteer time for those who need help.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    No meat in this
    bsnsyntha-6proteinpowder.jpg

or this
    cooked-fish500.jpg

or this
    6a00e008dae66b88340120a5de7956970c-500wi
    (Last one is beaver)
This discussion has been closed.