not giving up meat for Lent

Options

Replies

• littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

That would be pescatarian, not vegetarian
    Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    I was talking about just eating vegetarian Friday meals INSTEAD of including fish in them.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you're Catholic, you only *have* to give up meat only on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent and replacing with fish. Not the entirety of lent. :) And besides, fish has tons of protein!

Under *new* Catholic law. Traditional Catholic law was no meat on any Friday of the year, ever, and no meat during the entire Lenten season.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

Oh wow! 4 whole grams of protein in a potato, we're saved!

Vegetarian propaganda aside most people require more protein than 40-50 grams and a lot of those foods are high in calories or carbs which people are trying to avoid.

IKR? I'm always amused when someone says peanut butter is a great source of protein. It's not. Hell, my reduced-fat peanut butter *still* has more grams of fat than protein per 2tbsp serving (8g protein/ 12g fat). To me, a *good* source of protein has 10+ grams of protein per serving. A *great* source has 20g.

But hey, to each their own.

To me, a *great* source of protein in a complete one that I don't need to eat a pound of to get. Like 3oz of steak versus one pound of spinach.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    or this
    6a00e008dae66b88340120a5de7956970c-500wi
    (Last one is beaver)

IN for munching beaver
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    I was talking about just eating vegetarian Friday meals INSTEAD of including fish in them.
    The way you wrote it did not come across as you intended.

But making the distinction is important because when people think "vegetarian" means you eat fish, you get served fish a lot. People who eat fish calling themselves vegetarian is annoying.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Not much is as bad for you as smoking.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    If god didn't want us to eat animals - he wouldn't have made them out of meat!!!
    Was thinking the same about you buddy!

tRJnZMk.gif

UHGtUob.gif
  • IvanCasillas
    IvanCasillas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I LOVE meat! There usually isn't a day in which I don't have meat. I have never been a seafood or huge veggie person although I am getting better. That being said I have grown to appreciate the Church's request to abstain and fast only a few days out of the year. One thing I know I need in my life is self-discipline and this is the center of the practice. Also for those who like myself want to keep a good protein intake there is so much protein in healthy/yummy foods like tuna, salmon, shrimp, cheese, milk, tofu, beans, eggs, soy, nuts, & seeds. Its a good opportunity to think outside of the box :)

If youre curious why Catholics fast and obstain for Lent:
    http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/why-do-catholics-practice-fasting-and-abstinence-during-lent
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.

But making the distinction is important because when people think "vegetarian" means you eat fish, you get served fish a lot. People who eat fish calling themselves vegetarian is annoying.

Yeah but according to some religious and cultural traditions, fish isn't meat so that's where you get that. There are some Roman Catholics in South America that dub any aquatic animal 'not meat' (like a capybara).
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can give up things besides meat...Lent for Protestants (Although a good one for Catholics as well )....an excellent article on Lent & how you might observe it. It's not just for Catholics. One caveat on their recommendations, I do NOT think a Daniel Fast is a good idea without a more thorough understanding of a *healthy* vegetarian diet and complete proteins.

http://www.aaronmccarter.com/bible-stuff/the-confused-protestants-guide-to-lent-plus-10-ideas-for-how-to-observe-it
  • Chazymomma
    Chazymomma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

Thank you for posting this!! :smooched:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

I'm not Catholic but still giving something up during Lent, not for the church, but to concentrate and focus on what Jesus has done for me. I think you may be missing the point of Lent. Wink.

^ this

It's about giving up a sin and bringing yourself closer to the Father, not about giving up food/drink/candy whatever.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.

It's not my problem if people are too dense to get the gist of what I posted and want to split hairs over it. Have a nice day.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes you are "supposed" to abstain from meat on Fridays and Holy Days of Lent however if you need these things to sustain your health than that's fine. You will not be struck down by lightening, God will not come forth with the plagues you just have some meat. Though if you do like fish you could use that as your protein which is totally acceptable. I am taking advantage of "no meat fridays" with some haddock, lobster, mussels, steamers, mmmmm getting hungry thinking about it

Remember you also don't have to abstain from a specific thing during lent as you can add something such as meditation, or volunteer, make a donation, random acts of kindness, etc.:drinker:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you're Catholic, you only *have* to give up meat only on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent and replacing with fish. Not the entirety of lent. :) And besides, fish has tons of protein!

Under *new* Catholic law. Traditional Catholic law was no meat on any Friday of the year, ever, and no meat during the entire Lenten season.

Well new Catholic law is what applies now...
    I know several Catholics who don't eat meat on any Friday of the year or through the whole Lenten season, but the majority follow the current Ash Wednesday/Fridays in Lent guidelines.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    In for the somehow "okay" attacks on Catholics and religion in general...
  • IvanCasillas
    IvanCasillas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes you are "supposed" to abstain from meat on Fridays and Holy Days of Lent however if you need these things to sustain your health than that's fine. You will not be struck down by lightening, God will not come forth with the plagues you just have some meat. Though if you do like fish you could use that as your protein which is totally acceptable. I am taking advantage of "no meat fridays" with some haddock, lobster, mussels, steamers, mmmmm getting hungry thinking about it

Remember you also don't have to abstain from a specific thing during lent as you can add something such as meditation, or volunteer, make a donation, random acts of kindness, etc.:drinker:

+1 :)
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options

This too. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.

Yeah but according to some religious and cultural traditions, fish isn't meat so that's where you get that. There are some Roman Catholics in South America that dub any aquatic animal 'not meat' (like a capybara).

religious voodoo's can say it's not meat all they want- it doesn't change the fact an animal died and now you are eating it- just because it's not a mammal doesn't mean it's not a living thing..

meat is dead flesh.

fish served for the purpose of eating is: drum roll please.......... dead flesh.

If you eat veggies and eat meat- you aren't a vegetarian. it's Super annoying to me for some reason no idea why but it is.
    Vegetarian =/ pescatarian.

and yeah- 46 grams of protein? BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

not. My goal is 150-200. Why are some of those things even on there for sources of protein? That's hysterical- what is the point of eating a 500 calorie bagel if your goal is to get protein?
  • I'm allergic to peanuts and soy.
This discussion has been closed.