not giving up meat for Lent

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you're Catholic, you only *have* to give up meat only on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during lent and replacing with fish. Not the entirety of lent. :) And besides, fish has tons of protein!

Under *new* Catholic law. Traditional Catholic law was no meat on any Friday of the year, ever, and no meat during the entire Lenten season.

Well new Catholic law is what applies now...
    I know several Catholics who don't eat meat on any Friday of the year or through the whole Lenten season, but the majority follow the current Ash Wednesday/Fridays in Lent guidelines.

Please explain to me the benefits of a religion where you change the rules to fit how you'd like to live. Isn't that convenient? What are the rules for if you are just going to change them to your own needs and/or desires?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    religious voodoo's can say it's not meat all they want- it doesn't change the fact an animal died and now you are eating it- just because it's not a mammal doesn't mean it's not a living thing..

meat is dead flesh.

fish served for the purpose of eating is: drum roll please.......... dead flesh.

If you eat veggies and eat meat- you aren't a vegetarian. it's Super annoying to me for some reason no idea why but it is.
    Vegetarian =/ pescatarian.

and yeah- 46 grams of protein? BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

not. My goal is 150-200. Why are some of those things even on there for sources of protein? That's hysterical- what is the point of eating a 500 calorie bagel if your goal is to get protein?

you got anything to back up those strong claims with?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    religious voodoo's can say it's not meat all they want- it doesn't change the fact an animal died and now you are eating it- just because it's not a mammal doesn't mean it's not a living thing..

meat is dead flesh.

fish served for the purpose of eating is: drum roll please.......... dead flesh.

If you eat veggies and eat meat- you aren't a vegetarian. it's Super annoying to me for some reason no idea why but it is.

not. My goal is 150-200. Why are some of those things even on there for sources of protein? That's hysterical- what is the point of eating a 500 calorie bagel if your goal is to get protein?

It's alive and you kill it and eat its flesh. How isn't that meat by definition? Just because it swims in water as opposed to walking on land doesn't make it less meaty. Birds fly through the air and their flesh is considered meat.
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    or this
    6a00e008dae66b88340120a5de7956970c-500wi
    (Last one is beaver)

IN for munching beaver

+1
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    ChamplainHeavi, aarontfen, skinnygirls -
    Believe me, I clearly understand the point of lent and I certainly am not missing it. I just disagree with it and that's ok for me. I apologize if I didn't articulate it clearly in my original post. I do not believe I need to give up something for temporary period of time to show my love and appreciation for Jesus. There are many other ways you can honor and appreciate his sacrifices such as living your life all year long the way Jesus would have wanted or pray on a regular basis thanking him for his sacrifices and for your life instead of praying for things you need. IMO giving up something for Lent is meaningless if the rest of the year you are not living your life the way Jesus would have wanted you to. I choose not to do something for the season of Lent but to practice it all year long. I am happy and content with my choices and beliefs. I believe Jesus and God would be too. :flowerforyou:

Remember you also don't have to abstain from a specific thing during lent as you can add something such as meditation, or volunteer, make a donation, random acts of kindness, etc.:drinker:

I agree 100%. But why limit this to 1 season. Why not practice this all year long?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    ...and y'all just made me realize I included 2 slices of ham in my salad for lunch today.

I'm of the same opinion and background as JNettie though, so I'm pretty sure I'll end up eating it.

LOL Thanks for this. :flowerforyou:
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

meat is dead flesh.

I'm a Buttholetarian. Diet consists exclusively on hot dogs. My girlfriend and I have been living this livestyle for many many years and we are alive and well.

you-cant-explain-that-0.jpg

Now talk about strong claims....heres a similar thread going on today on MFP Land....(since the topic went from meat/lent to protein intake)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217174-high-protein-diet-has-similar-cancer-risks-than-smoking

Articles referenced are:
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/high-protein-diet-kill-you

^^ I love that last URL. The High Protein Diet actually KILLS YOU. Like its somehow affiliated with the Crips, Bloods, & Hells Angels and its out there Murdering innocent people.

Way to sensationalize journalists. Yes, I said journalists....NOT researchers.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

That would be pescatarian, not vegetarian
    Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    I was talking about just eating vegetarian Friday meals INSTEAD of including fish in them.
    The way you wrote it did not come across as you intended.

But making the distinction is important because when people think "vegetarian" means you eat fish, you get served fish a lot. People who eat fish calling themselves vegetarian is annoying.

Yeah but according to some religious and cultural traditions, fish isn't meat so that's where you get that. There are some Roman Catholics in South America that dub any aquatic animal 'not meat' (like a capybara).

meat is dead flesh.

Well, no *kitten*, sherlock. I'm not saying they're correct, I'm just saying that's how they look at it and how it's historically considered not meat and therefore considered vegetarian.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

meat is dead flesh.

It's alive and you kill it and eat its flesh. How isn't that meat by definition? Just because it swims in water as opposed to walking on land doesn't make it less meaty. Birds fly through the air and their flesh is considered meat.
    indeed.

it's not a claim- it's a fact- you know science.
    I'm not getting what's the issue.

It's alive- living breathing- thing that functions.

then it's dead dead

You eat it.

It's meat.

big scientific mystery case closed.

I'm a Buttholetarian. Diet consists exclusively on hot dogs. My girlfriend and I have been living this livestyle for many many years and we are alive and well.

Bawha haha ha ha I think I need to join this cult... I was part of the Church of the Dancing Hampster- but Buttholetarian seems to fit my needs better.
    Well, no ****. I'm not saying they're correct, I'm just saying that's how they look at it and how it's historically considered not meat.

LOL I'm glad you understand LMAO
    And it's really really nice of them- but the fun people wearing funny hates believing in their make believe friend don't get to decide what science says.

I guess I just think it's stupid to say "well the old dead guys said it's not meat so it's not meat so we can still eat it.

you know why they said that way back when? because they didn't want to aCTUALLY give up eating meat- that was their loop hole to keep eating it.

Damnit- now we are side tracking on to old dead guys and funny hates- ah religion. good times.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    or this
    6a00e008dae66b88340120a5de7956970c-500wi
    (Last one is beaver)

IN for munching beaver
    I see what you did there...
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

I eat a lot of the non-meat proteins on your chart, BUT agree w/OP's comments, because you do have to eat a lot more of them to get the same protein in the same amount of meat. So yes, there are non-meat sources of protein, BUT it's still hard to get enough protein when animal products are eliminated. One of the things listed on your chart is a CUP of black beans...that's a lot of black beans to eat on a regular basis & most probably would eat about 1/2C at a time. Also, a lot of the non-meat sources are calorie dense, which would make it more difficult to stay within diet calories.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    One of the things listed on your chart is a CUP of black beans...that's a lot of black beans to eat on a regular basis & most probably would eat about 1/2C at a time. Also, a lot of the non-meat sources are calorie dense, which would make it more difficult to stay within diet calories.

who eats a half cup of anything?

I can easily eat 2 CANS of black beans in one sitting.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    One of the things listed on your chart is a CUP of black beans...that's a lot of black beans to eat on a regular basis & most probably would eat about 1/2C at a time. Also, a lot of the non-meat sources are calorie dense, which would make it more difficult to stay within diet calories.

Guessing you're a bigger person, as well as a body builder. Don't think most people would want to get 720 of their daily calories from black beans. ;-) That's about half of my calories for the day.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Guessing you're a bigger guy, as well as a body builder. Don't think most people would want to get 720 of their daily calories from black beans. ;-) That's about half of my calories for the day.

Jo is a female. She does lift.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

meat is dead flesh.

indeed.

it's not a claim- it's a fact- you know science.
    I'm not getting what's the issue.

It's alive- living breathing- thing that functions.

then it's dead dead

You eat it.

It's meat.

big scientific mystery case closed.

Bawha haha ha ha I think I need to join this cult... I was part of the Church of the Dancing Hampster- but Buttholetarian seems to fit my needs better.
    Well, no ****. I'm not saying they're correct, I'm just saying that's how they look at it and how it's historically considered not meat.

LOL I'm glad you understand LMAO
    And it's really really nice of them- but the fun people wearing funny hates believing in their make believe friend don't get to decide what science says.

I guess I just think it's stupid to say "well the old dead guys said it's not meat so it's not meat so we can still eat it.

you know why they said that way back when? because they didn't want to aCTUALLY give up eating meat- that was their loop hole to keep eating it.

Damnit- now we are side tracking on to old dead guys and funny hates- ah religion. good times.

In all fairness, that belief was established before science was a thing. Meat was a luxury, or 'sinful' if you will, so a 'lesser' source of protein was to be incorporated once a week (aka: fish). People in that culture at that time really didn't consider fish to be 'real' meat. *shrug* It likely has something to do with the Feeding of The 5,000.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Guessing you're a bigger guy, as well as a body builder. Don't think most people would want to get 720 of their daily calories from black beans. ;-) That's about half of my calories for the day.
    heh. so adorable but no.
    because of this
    Jo is a female. She does lift.
    but does not body build.
    (Thanks my dear by the way)

Actually I'm quiet happy eating a basic black bean soup for lunch and dinner. It's not my favorite- I'd prefer steak- but I have no qualms eating it- I eat the same food 2 times a day for 3-4 days in a row- it serves a need... which is to fuel me. So yeah- I'll eat 2 cans of black beans. I have no issue.
    In all fairness, that belief was established before science was a thing. Meat was a luxury, or 'sinful' if you will, so a 'lesser' source of protein was to be incorporated once a week (aka: fish). People in that culture at that time really didn't consider fish to be 'real' meat. Puzzling, yes. *shrug*
    yeah I just don't get it- I mean meat- dead animal- fish is an animal- so I'd be puzzled to not understand how a basic human couldn't get that- but thankfully those people are dead- so whatever. I mean I get WHY they would eat fish- but not considering it meat- I've never gotten that. like you said- **shrug** just try to fix the left overs of that in today's population LOL
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yeah I just don't get it- I mean meat- dead animal- fish is an animal- so I'd be puzzled to not understand how a basic human couldn't get that- but thankfully those people are dead- so whatever. I mean I get WHY they would eat fish- but not considering it meat- I've never gotten that. like you said- **shrug** just try to fix the left overs of that in today's population LOL

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awful lot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.
  • JoRocka
    Options

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awfullot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

pulls hair.

BUT IT"S A DEAD ANIMAL. I want to smack people who say that. It is- it is WAY more common than I would have EVER dreamed. Shockingly common actually.
  • mccindy72
    Options

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awful lot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

:angry:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awfullot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

pulls hair.

BUT IT"S A DEAD ANIMAL. I want to smack people who say that. It is- it is WAY more common than I would have EVER dreamed. Shockingly common actually.
    Hey. I'm totally with you! It's why so many people think they're vegetarian when they still eat fish.

My cousin used to claim she was veg and she ate everything but red meat.
This discussion has been closed.