Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I feel really really tired today. I have been working WAY too much lately. I am getting home a little earlier than usual today and tommorow so I am excited to relax a bit. This weekend I have NOTHING planned. Hooray for that!
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    Hey Ladies its Wednesday amazing how time just keeps flying by weighing at 196 give or take and only have 5 more weeks to go. I can't believe I will be pregnant this Christmas when just last year I was considering with my hubby that we should try. This board has been amazing and the ladies are awesome. I have been super busy finishing my classes that I haven't logged but I keep up with all of your posts. Good luck to the TTC girls and for the rest of you enjoy the 1st and 2nd trimester because the 3rd feels like a whole new adventure lots of aches and pains again and baby really moves and has less of it by the end.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    So I splurged on myself today (I NEVER do) and bought a BodyMedia Fit on ebay. ($100 band and display - used, but great deal! It's $300 new!). I have been wanting one for months and decided - hey, my hubby just sent himself on a $700 10 day trip to AZ (plus two weeks unpaid off work... ) to see his family (after also buying himself pretty much whatever he wants whenever he wants) - I can get myself one thing I have been looking at for like 6 months and still want, even if it's what I consider to be a ton of money! I hate to have to pay the subscription price on top of it, but I find the info so intriguing! I really want to know my full day burn (today I hauled in wood from the backyard to the fireplace 4 times - I wonder how that spiked my cals and HR!) and I really want to know what my sleep efficiency (or inefficiency as I think will be the case!) is. Doing this when preg will probably be great since it will track the day to day changes in my calorie burn and sleeping patterns etc. Here's hoping it works OK being used. :) Considering how much i LOVE LOVE LOVE my heart rate monitor I think I will love this too! I hope it ships fast!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    So I splurged on myself today (I NEVER do) and bought a BodyMedia Fit on ebay. ($100 band and display - used, but great deal! It's $300 new!). I have been wanting one for months and decided - hey, my hubby just sent himself on a $700 10 day trip to AZ (plus two weeks unpaid off work... ) to see his family (after also buying himself pretty much whatever he wants whenever he wants) - I can get myself one thing I have been looking at for like 6 months and still want, even if it's what I consider to be a ton of money! I hate to have to pay the subscription price on top of it, but I find the info so intriguing! I really want to know my full day burn (today I hauled in wood from the backyard to the fireplace 4 times - I wonder how that spiked my cals and HR!) and I really want to know what my sleep efficiency (or inefficiency as I think will be the case!) is. Doing this when preg will probably be great since it will track the day to day changes in my calorie burn and sleeping patterns etc. Here's hoping it works OK being used. :) Considering how much i LOVE LOVE LOVE my heart rate monitor I think I will love this too! I hope it ships fast!

You should splurge on yourself more often! I'd love to hear more about it once it arrives.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    oh, i forgot to post the other day that - we were talking a few weeks ago about feeling the baby move earlier than many OBs / professionals say that you can feel it. So at my apt Tuesday when the med student was looking for the heart beat he was sort of looking all over. I felt like pointing and saying - you'll find it right here! But I didn't. Anyway... lo and behold, when he found it, it was exactly where i have been feeling things every few days since week 11.5.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    oh, i forgot to post the other day that - we were talking a few weeks ago about feeling the baby move earlier than many OBs / professionals say that you can feel it. So at my apt Tuesday when the med student was looking for the heart beat he was sort of looking all over. I felt like pointing and saying - you'll find it right here! But I didn't. Anyway... lo and behold, when he found it, it was exactly where i have been feeling things every few days since week 11.5.

Well of course!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have really enjoyed reading through all of these posts! I feel like I know a lot of you already!

So, I set my calories to mantenance. Do you think that is a bad idea? I weigh like 250lbs right now :-s... urghhh I just can't believe I am SO DARN HEAVY!!!! I started MFP like 2 weeks before I found out I was preggo.

I am only 5 weeks right now. Should I wait until I am farther along to set my goal to maintenance?

On another note...

I find myself TERRIFIED that something is going to go wrong. Do/did you guys worry as well? I have always wanted to become a mother, this has always been my dream... maybe it's because I have so been looking forward to this for so long that I feel like it can't be real?

One final question- how long did ya'all wait to tell your families? I know the typical 12 weeks thing to tell everyone else... think it is a bad idea to tell my mom and inlaws this Christmas? I would be about 8 weeks then.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    I I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! ... It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.

That sounds so nice! I quit my Sat/Sun restaurant job the week before I was due, but I went into my normal Mon-Fri for a full day in labor (mild labor...) :smile: But that was 100% financially driven since I don't get any maternity leave. I had to sell my horse to cover bills for the 2 weeks I actually took off. This time I should at least have 1 week of vacation time I can use and hopefully the hubby will be working and maybe I can take 3 or 4 weeks off. Probably not. It will probably be 2 again. :ohwell:

You don't get a maternity leave? Here in California we get to start maternity leave at 36 weeks and remain on maternity leave until 6 weeks after if you have a vaginal birth and 8 weeks off if you have a c-section. They take the money out of our paychecks from the moment we begin working here , lol it is disability pay and the only way I have ever gotten back any of that money is by taking my maternity leaves. Yay 22 weeks Sunday so exciting!

That is unreal! Here in Canada, we get a full 12 months of maternity leave! And that is Canada wide.

The Government pays us unemployment for the full year, which is 55% of your wage before you went on maternity leave. If you worked in your job for at least a year, your employer also has to keep it open for you for that entire 12 months- they cannot hire someone to replace you permanently and have to give you your job back when your time is up.

I find it sooo sad that some people don't get any at all. I never realized how lucky we are up here!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! ... It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.

That sounds so nice! I quit my Sat/Sun restaurant job the week before I was due, but I went into my normal Mon-Fri for a full day in labor (mild labor...) :smile: But that was 100% financially driven since I don't get any maternity leave. I had to sell my horse to cover bills for the 2 weeks I actually took off. This time I should at least have 1 week of vacation time I can use and hopefully the hubby will be working and maybe I can take 3 or 4 weeks off. Probably not. It will probably be 2 again. :ohwell:

You don't get a maternity leave? Here in California we get to start maternity leave at 36 weeks and remain on maternity leave until 6 weeks after if you have a vaginal birth and 8 weeks off if you have a c-section. They take the money out of our paychecks from the moment we begin working here , lol it is disability pay and the only way I have ever gotten back any of that money is by taking my maternity leaves. Yay 22 weeks Sunday so exciting!

That is unreal! Here in Canada, we get a full 12 months of maternity leave! And that is Canada wide.

The Government pays us unemployment for the full year, which is 55% of your wage before you went on maternity leave. If you worked in your job for at least a year, your employer also has to keep it open for you for that entire 12 months- they cannot hire someone to replace you permanently and have to give you your job back when your time is up.

I find it sooo sad that some people don't get any at all. I never realized how lucky we are up here!

I have heard that from some of the publishers I work with, I think it is absolutely amazing, especially for nursing moms. I only WISH I could stay home for a year. Fortunately I have a job where I work from 4am to 12pm and hubby stays home with the kiddos. Atleast we have lots of family time!
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have really enjoyed reading through all of these posts! I feel like I know a lot of you already!

So, I set my calories to mantenance. Do you think that is a bad idea? I weigh like 250lbs right now :-s... urghhh I just can't believe I am SO DARN HEAVY!!!! I started MFP like 2 weeks before I found out I was preggo.

I am only 5 weeks right now. Should I wait until I am farther along to set my goal to maintenance?

On another note...

I find myself TERRIFIED that something is going to go wrong. Do/did you guys worry as well? I have always wanted to become a mother, this has always been my dream... maybe it's because I have so been looking forward to this for so long that I feel like it can't be real?

One final question- how long did ya'all wait to tell your families? I know the typical 12 weeks thing to tell everyone else... think it is a bad idea to tell my mom and inlaws this Christmas? I would be about 8 weeks then.

Hello! Welcome and congratulations! I set my calories to maintenance when I was about 6 weeks. I've been paying more attention to how I feel as opposed to the "number". If I'm hungry, I'll eat, if not, I'm not going to eat just to hit my calorie goal. Listen to your body and eat when you're hungry. Try to make better food choices, but a lot of the first trimester (for me anyways) has been finding foods that sit well with my stomach.

I think it is natural for everyone to have a few of the "what if" thoughts go through their mind, but you can't let them take over. Stressing yourself is one of the last things you want to do. Celebrate, this is a happy time for you!! Take care of yourself physically and mentally, one day at a time.

We told our immediate family members right away. I know there's that whole 12 week thing, and I understand it to a certain extent. I felt like if we did miscarry, I would want and need the support of those people, rather than hide it from them like it never happened. My husband was so excited he told anyone that would listen to him, I waited til we went to the Dr.'s to tell people at work, and anyone else who didn't know, and we were 11 weeks at that point.

Take a deep breath, enjoy your first trimester! Congratulations again :flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

I set mine to maintenance around 8 weeks because I was super fatigued and it helped some. I'm 13+ weeks and maybe gained a lb. But, I don't go by a rule on my cals either. I use it more of a guide or motivator. If I am hungry I am going to eat, but I find that if I have 250 calories left I am not going to have cookies for dinner, or a hamburger, but a bowl of fruit instead. I think that counting does not make me restrict my calories, but instead keeps me from overdoing it. I'm right at my calorie count today, give or take a little for my somewhat estimated measuring. But, i know if I were not counting I would totally have another 250 cal peanut butter cookie before bed! So, for that it really helps me to count!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

On another note...

I will be 6 weeks tommorow so we are almost at the same spot. I am TERRIFIED as well that something is going to go wrong. I am actually expecting it at this point thats how much I have convinced myself. When do you go in for the first apt.? We go on Monday. 6 weeks and 3 days. I think I will feel better after that.

We already told people that are very close too. I would tell them anyway if something went wrong so they might as well know now!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

On another note...

I have my calories set to maintenance but I'm still (errrmmmm trying) eating at a small calorie deficit (300-400 most days this week). I weigh about 198 right now (196 before getting pregnant, 192 before ttc). My goal is to be back to 195 in the next few weeks. I really want to stay healthy and gain as little weight as possible with pregnancy. I'm not really so worried about having weight to lose after pregnancy, my number 1 concern is being healthy.

I've decided to take a breezy approach to this pregnancy which is really weird because I'm normally pretty high-strung. I'm not terrified because I really have no control over what happens other than being as healthy as I can be. Of course I would be very upset and sad to miscarry or to find out there's a problem, but since I have no control over it, I really can't worry much about it. It's just something I'll have to deal with if it happens.

Dh and I told our mothers at 4 weeks. Both of our mothers are, well, mothers, so they understood that it was very early and that bad things can happen. My mom has experienced a miscarriage, so she's completely aware of how things can go wrong. Plus, we'd want their support anyway if something did happen. The catch was that if they decided to share the news with anyone, they were the ones that had to unhare the news with whoever they told if we lost the baby. Suffice it to say, they felt comfortable sharing the news with several other family members. :laugh: We told our fathers at around 5 weeks (I think our moms told everyone in our families except our dads :laugh:). My best friend also knows (she's the sister I never had & she lives 500 miles away :wink:). She told her boyfriend because they visited a few weeks ago & she wanted him to understand why I was lame. :laugh: We haven't told any of our local friends. It's been hard keeping it quiet since we see them weekly and dh doesn't fully understand why I don't want to say anything yet. I think the news will come out on New Year's Eve since we're going to a party and me not drinking on NYE will appear a bit insane to our friends. I'll be 12 weeks on NYE. And I'll be telling my supervisor and coworkers & anyone else who will listen after my first OB appointment if all is well. :smile:

Sorry for the ramble. :embarassed:
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Hello ladies,

On another note...

I waited to set mine to maintenance at 11 weeks. We tell right away, always, never waited. I get worries, but like another mama said there is little control in it. I give my worries to God. I pray and that is all I can do. I don't expect something bad though. That is unlikely.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    13 weeks today, I am so happy! Much more energy! I did a bunch of stuff this week. I have started my cleaning, tidying, fixing second and third trimester obsession and list, LOL.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I had my second prenatal appointment yesterday. It did not go as well as I wanted it to. First of all, they found a polyp on my cervix at my first visit. They said it was common and something that was not going to effect my pregnancy, but that they would have to monitor it. This visit, the docotor said that it has grown and he no longer wants to wait until after I give birth to remove it. I know it probably isn't a big deal, but I've never had one before and I don't like having to worry about something as stupid as a polyp. When he removes it, my husband is going to have to be there to take me home. It could bleed a lot, which would cause me to worry a lot. I don't know. I just don't like it.

So then the doctor can't find the baby's heartbeat with his little doppler thing. I know that it's probably too early. I won't even be 10 weeks until tomorrow. But still. He tries to find it, can't, says it's probably too early, then says, "Wait, you're nearly ten weeks... let me try again," and fails to find it again. I just wanted some sort of verification that everything was okay. Hearing the heartbeat would have kept the polyp news from phasing me in the slightest. Instead I just end up leaving all tense and worried. Ugh.

Sorry, just needed to rant a little.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I had my second prenatal appointment yesterday. It did not go as well as I wanted it to. First of all, they found a polyp on my cervix at my first visit. They said it was common and something that was not going to effect my pregnancy, but that they would have to monitor it. This visit, the docotor said that it has grown and he no longer wants to wait until after I give birth to remove it. I know it probably isn't a big deal, but I've never had one before and I don't like having to worry about something as stupid as a polyp. When he removes it, my husband is going to have to be there to take me home. It could bleed a lot, which would cause me to worry a lot. I don't know. I just don't like it.

So then the doctor can't find the baby's heartbeat with his little doppler thing. I know that it's probably too early. I won't even be 10 weeks until tomorrow. But still. He tries to find it, can't, says it's probably too early, then says, "Wait, you're nearly ten weeks... let me try again," and fails to find it again. I just wanted some sort of verification that everything was okay. Hearing the heartbeat would have kept the polyp news from phasing me in the slightest. Instead I just end up leaving all tense and worried. Ugh.

My OB always has a hard time finding the heart beat, only at 15 weeks did he acutally find it after putting lots of gel on me. Before that he would try and then just get the u/s machine and so we could see the heart beat instead.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    brittony: I'm sorry to hear about the polyp
    and the visit. I pray for the best for you
    and your LO.

I think worrying is common in PG and
    sometimes being emotional doesn't
    help. I agree w the person who said
    that it can't be controlled so why worry.
    All we can do is pray for the best.:flowerforyou:

I haven't weighed myself since last week
    i'm terrified of the scale. At my visit w
    the doctor last week i had gained 2lbs
    but i thought i might be water weight
    so i've been trying really hard to not
    eat the wrong foods this week and to
    up my water intake. I think i'll weigh myself
    on Friday.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I am sorry. I would be upset too. Have you thought of getting a second opinion? It is very, very normal to not hear the HB w/ a doppler at not quite 10 weeks. You will hear it next time.
  • joonzgurl
    Options

I will be 6 weeks tommorow so we are almost at the same spot. I am TERRIFIED as well that something is going to go wrong. I am actually expecting it at this point thats how much I have convinced myself. When do you go in for the first apt.? We go on Monday. 6 weeks and 3 days. I think I will feel better after that.

We already told people that are very close too. I would tell them anyway if something went wrong so they might as well know now!

I got for my first appt tomorrow afternoon! I am excited but nervous at the same time. I definately know how you feel! I love that we are so close together! I will be 5 weeks oficially on Saturday.