Walking With Pedometers

Options

Replies

• Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    12/09 17,451 steps plus what ever I do before I go to bed tonight, happy with today's:)

This number is extremely impressive! Good for you . . .
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

As long as I use the same pedometer in the same pocket every day, I consider the readings to be accurate for my purposes.....I am looking for comparisons with myself not with anyone else or any other pedometer. If I log more steps today than yesterday then it is a triumph.

:bigsmile: It's important for me to look at all my exercise, not just steps taken.......yoga, pilates, and riding the exercise bike are all good workouts but they don't show at all on the pedometer so at the end of the day I look at the balance between steps and other calorie burning activities.

Absolutely true. I was worried about the accuracy of my bathroom scale a few years ago and researched the various brands on the market. Thankfully, my trainer brought a more realistic attitude to the table. She said, "It doesn't matter if your scale is a little off. The only person who is being weighed is you. It's fine for your purpose since you can still see weight loss." What can I say, when you're right, you're right. I hope to get into other forms of exercise once I'm sure my cardio routine is firmly restablished. Barb, you're a great role model for us all.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    6202 aerobic steps in 63min
    372kcal
    6.46km

This thing is going to kill me I have to really move for it to register when I'm walking in place. It's making me walk more, walked home from the grocery store and went the long way around. My heels are killing me and I created and opened up a blister in the same spot I had from walking/running last week.

Besides the times where I'm doing workouts or whatever during the week I'm rather sedentary sitting in front of my computer all day so I guess it's a good thing to get me up and moving.

I'm astonished by those that are getting over 20K. I might have to do that one day next week just for the challenge of it.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!! I just bought a pedometer last weekend. I've been averaging about 9500 all week so I know I need to step it up a bit! (of course, I forgot to put it on this morning :sad: )

20k steps?!?! That's crazy awesome!!!
  • kievfrisco
    kievfrisco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello every body! I am ready to join this thread with a pedometer walking. I got only yesterday SmartHealth with heart monitoring, not sure is this is a good one. Any suggestion or ideas, please. Will check my steps starting today. Another question, are you checking your steps when you are in the gym doing others activities? Thanks
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Ooh yay more pedometers!! I have been using my Pokewalker ever since I got it *nerd* :glasses:
    Obviously it will miss a lot more steps than a "real" pedometer and the manual does state that it is inaccurate with frequent stop/starts, jogging, and walking in place (it will underestimate) but I like having my Pokemon with me and I get worried about if they will get bored or sulk at night when they get back to the DS world so I walk more :tongue:

An average sitting-around-at-home day honestly equals 500-700 steps for me (small houses where I am)
    An average just-walking-to-work-and-back day is about 6000-7000 steps
    A day where I go out for the heck of it and window shop etc. can put 8000-19000 steps on my Pokewalker :smile:

Wonder how everybody is getting so many steps on a normal day!!!
  • SkinnyOat
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I was wearing a pedometer daily for about 6 months until it broke. I got really good at hitting 15-18000 for weight loss 3-4 times a week (I'm lucky, my job is to not be at my desk). But, I'm sure I've fallen waaaaaaaay below that with the winter setting in and the lack of motivation from my Pedro, as I like to call it. I'll be getting a new one so I can post here. Thanks!
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    12/10 - 13041 steps. That's a bit more normal for regular day.
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Welcome All,

So exciting to see new people join up! I believe that despite the holidays and despite it being winter, with a good mind set, support and accountability, we can all continue to lose (or at the least maintain) weight. I was doing well, fell off of the proverbial wagon and am back in the race. The most important thing I think I learned from my setback was to reach out and ask for support from others instead of fading into oblivion. I will ask for support this time and hope you will do the same. What are you hoping to achieve? Please check in often and let us know how you're doing and what the rest of us on this thread can do to support you. :flowerforyou: .
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Today I walked over 5 miles. I cannot state exactly how many steps because I used a pedometer that resets at midnight and forgot to turn it back a few weeks ago, so my exact step count was erased at 11 p.m. tonight. I'll reset it tonight before I forget. How are you guys doing?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Thursday 10174 steps
    Friday 12304

Considering that my step counter doesn't count a lot of the steps in line dance or any slow walking in the house, these numbers are amazing.

I have on about 5000 steps so far today so I'll have to be creative.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    12/11 - 15772 steps. Feels like a million! Lots of house cleaning and a two hour walk with the dogs.
  • I only have 6,100 right now :( But I'm going to march in place for a while longer this evening and try to get that number up another thousand at least before I go to bed!
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    12/11 ~ 15,136 steps
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I whooped all of you yesterday I didn't put a single step on my pedometer. Beat that!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Do you all count/log every step like if you go to the kitchen, making dinner, et cetera? I only log time if I'm outside the house or walking in place while watching a show.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    12/10 8972 oops a very light day'
    12/11 10767
    Hope everyone is doing well this morning.
  • WallyMan
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 205 which I can then upload my data to my computer. I find the GPS more accurate than the pedometer no matter how well I adjusted the pedometer. Just my 2 cents. :)
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Yesterday, I was able to reach just over 13,000 steps. What's going on with you?
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I was at 12134 but now you have me tempted to do more before bed.