Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Replies

• sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Yes. People trying to be healthy maybe to an obsessive level are ruining the world... I need more celebrity arrest stories and people who are posting the next super cheese loaded baked meal that only has 1500 calories a serving and families who give their kids nothing but fried foods instead of teaching them about healthy living.

#goodarticle #deathtofitfamlifestyle #weneedmoreobesity
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Yes. People trying to be healthy maybe to an obsessive level are ruining the world... I need more celebrity arrest stories and people who are posting the next super cheese loaded baked meal that only has 1500 calories a serving and families who give their kids nothing but fried foods instead of teaching them about healthy living.

#goodarticle #deathtofitfamlifestyle #weneedmoreobesity

Hey, how big is Kim Kardashian's *kitten* these days?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    What an absolutely ridiculous blog post, it hurt my brain just reading it.

For those that want more of the gun wielding badass, here you go. Too muscly for my cup of tea, but each to their own.

DLB+MHP.jpg
    tumblr_mnzx71Tq8G1sush80o8_500.jpg
    93232a9a5675e6b98ba19f4b44197144.jpg
    dlb6-200x300.jpg

And to be clear this isn't just one of those "normal people thinking their famous".... This is Dana Freakin Bailey... Mr. Olympia 2013 PHYSIQUE CHAMPION!

This isn't just some chick doing workouts everyone can do. She's a professional in the fitness industry.

for seriously?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Meh. Don't like what I post, either don't read it or unfriend me. It's my page and I'll post what I see fit.

And the woman that the author thinks is "gross" in that article....10/10 WB.

I thought the same thing.

shutterstock_142762636.jpg

yah!! wow!. .more please!

I wonder if she has an account on here? . .FR me please!!!

Pretty sure it's Dana Linn Bailey, IFBB Pro.
    No, I think that's Michelle Lewin, but not sure...

Correct. Google Michelle Lewin black tape project. May not be work-safe.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Meh. Don't like what I post, either don't read it or unfriend me. It's my page and I'll post what I see fit.

yah!! wow!. .more please!

I wonder if she has an account on here? . .FR me please!!!

Pretty sure it's Dana Linn Bailey, IFBB Pro.
    No, I think that's Michelle Lewin, but not sure...

I will admit i'm tired of seeing michelle lewin's freckled tatas everyone. #yeahimhating
  • 1. They make completely average people think they are famous

Like Honey Boo Boo? The Kardashians? Jersey Shore? Real Housewives of _________?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Social media sites like Facebook need to die off, nothing good has come of it. Forums work just fine and don't steal your info to sell to companies.
    Facebook keeps me in touch with my friends and family who are literally scattered all over the world. It also is a great tool for planning get-togethers with my local friends and making sure I don't forget anyone and am able to cheaply and easily invite them all.

A lot of good has come from social media sites like Facebook. It's all in how you use them.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    I must say, I'm really confused by this new trend of accepting unhealthy things (aka: obesity), while shaming all of those who are trying to lose weight or don't need to lose weight. I suppose some people need SOMETHING to make fun of, but why hate on any woman's body? If its not what you like, then move on.

And it seems to be only something that women do. I've never seen a man go "OMG-his body is gross." However... I'm sure they're out there.

Somedays, I hate people.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/f2/7d/ebf27d9602be3344de2824bd2a672b86.jpg

Edit: Ah.... no idea how to add a photo to these comments.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I must say, I'm really confused by this new trend of accepting unhealthy things (aka: obesity), while shaming all of those who are trying to lose weight or don't need to lose weight. I suppose some people need SOMETHING to make fun of, but why hate on any woman's body? If its not what you like, then move on.

And it seems to be only something that women do. I've never seen a man go "OMG-his body is gross." However... I'm sure they're out there.

Somedays, I hate people.

ebf27d9602be3344de2824bd2a672b86.jpg

Edit: Ah.... no idea how to add a photo to these comments.

Quote me to see how.

And yes. :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Social media sites like Facebook need to die off, nothing good has come of it. Forums work just fine and don't steal your info to sell to companies.
    Facebook keeps me in touch with my friends and family who are literally scattered all over the world. It also is a great tool for planning get-togethers with my local friends and making sure I don't forget anyone and am able to cheaply and easily invite them all.

A lot of good has come from social media sites like Facebook. It's all in how you use them.

This. I use Facebook as a way to keep in touch with lots of family and friends who are spread out everywhere. The event mechanism is pretty handy too, and has made things like class reunions much easier too. If one person can't find someone, odds are someone else knows someone else who does, etc.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member

huge thread backfire eh OP?
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    hatersgonnahate_05d460_3317189.jpg
  • OKay. I see where the OP has a point- its annoying, but I think, IMHO, that the word I would use is not annoying. I would have used OVERWHELMING.

For example: Those #fitfams on IG and FB are #OVERWHELMING in the way that they post, because Im #fat and not in shape.
    I dont know WTF #fitfam even means, but i know i need to get un-fat so I can live a #better life...

All the pictures of meals and protein shakers and neon sports bras and tomato faces... #overwhelming, because i just need some help figuring out where to start. Which is why I came to MFP :)

LOL

• huge thread backfire eh OP?

:laugh:
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    I do not get why someone would follow a hashtag if they had not interest in the subject matter -

I do not care what the body type - muscular, skinny, obese, - calling someone gross is just low and uncalled for
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I could write a similar article about "This is why letting people with Blogs think they're suddenly journalists needs to stop"

What a b***
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    OP:

vqr87gi.gif
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member

Thank you sir!

14978d1382222438t-whos-hottest-girl-telara-come-show-your-stuff-ill-my-bunk_thumb2.jpg
  • mckelvyb
    mckelvyb Posts: 9 Member
    I think the article was intended to be a humor article, but it failed miserably. There are aspects that are annoying such as:

1) Look how jacked/ripped/shredded I am. (Those people who only take shirtless pictures and those are their only pictures)
    2) Do you even lift?
    3) Constant photoshoot pictures on personal profile and not "fan page"
    4) Some gym memes
    5) Everyone has their own clothing line

Numbers 1 and 2 on my list above are the more negative aspects. Most people in this subculture are very helpful and aim to motivate others, not degrade them. The author of the article should have focused on the types of people who post some of these negative aspects then the positives.

Also, I don't get the neon thing. I guess it's a trend in women's activewear. Men's clothes are usually black, grey, white, or navy with the occasional primary color.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

yeah, I lost all respect for the writer when she described another person as "gross" - it's totally wrong to put a picture of anyone's body on the internet and caption it "gross"............. but it reeks of jealous in this case because the woman in that pic is hot and I'm jealous of her muscles, .............but I'm mature enough to just say that I'm jealous of her muscles and can avoid feeling the need to insult her.

also, the bit at the end of the article about breeding a race of really strong people........ IMO that's a good thing, not a scary thing. And humans in the past were much stronger than modern sedentary people... raising kids to be physically active and strong is only putting humans back to where we should be.