What to put on popcorn

Options

Replies

• abou3906
    abou3906 Posts: 3
    Options
    Fiber + protein = filling for hours. Posted this yesterday in a protein powder thread, but this might be more appropriate.

||| Protein Popcorn |||

Ingredients:

○ 40 g Orville Classic Popcorn (120 kcal)
    ○ scoop of protein powder (I use chocolate, soy or whey.) (75 kcal)
    ○ 15 g honey (45 kcal)
    ○ 2 ~ 3 grams olive oil/canola spray (15 kcal)
    ○ sea salt

① make popcorn on the stove. key here is to cut out as much oil as possible, which is what kills calorie-wise.
    ② drizzle runny honey on popped kernels in still-hot pot. the heat will help the honey disperse to as many kernels as possible, which is what will make the protein powder/salt stick.
    ③ shake shake shake!
    ④ add protein powder and salt

Calories: 255
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon or Coconut sugar :)

do you need to put anything on popcorn first to make these stick?
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with butter as long as you fit it into your daily calorie goal. I pop plain popcorn in a bowl in the microwave and drizzle a couple of teaspoons of melted butter on it . I find it is a satisfying snack that curbs the evening carb cravings.
  • malowe3031
    Options
    I pop in olive oil and add different spices
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've found that popcorn coated with vanilla almond bark and oreo cookie crumbs is delicious, not very healthy but delicious.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Franks Red Hot - even before the diet when we went to the movies I'd grab a bottle of hot sauce like franks (or another similart heat profile) and take it with me to put on the corn
    makes plain air popped much better
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Sriracha!

yeas thats great as well (Srirachi is my Ketchup mmmm)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I found this great bagged popcorn called Skinny Pop. It is only 135 cal for 3.5 cup serving. Think it is seasoned with just salt and sunflower oil. Best bagged popcorn I ever had.

I LOVE Skinny Pop! Huge serving size, too.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lemon and hot sauce (tapatio). YUM-O!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    famzon.jpg
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do use a non-dairy butter on mine, but I measure it out so I know exactly how much I'm using. I use that along with Paul Prudhomme's salt-free seasoning and a bit of Lo-Salt. Good stuff!
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    had to jump on in the log!!! lolol my son knows when i'm headed off to bed for he hears the popcorn poppping !!!! going to try some of the different ways of popping the corn in a lunch bag ----
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    great ideas for popcorn toppings
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    Little olive oil, italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese :) Yum!
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cheddar powder is amazing on popcorn! HMMM! :love:

Flavors_Cheddar.jpg
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast, Butter, and Parmensan.
  • tkenley123
    tkenley123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been using an air popper for a few years now. I like being in control of what's in it. I actually use Orville Redenbacher's liquid topping. I know it's not the best, but I measure it out to control calories. Parm sounds good too.
  • nicpare
    nicpare Posts: 15
    Options
    Someone may have already mentioned this, but I spray non cook cooking spray (like Pam) on air popped popcorn before I sprinkle with salt (or any other seasoning). It helps the seasoning stick. I use the Olive Oil Cooking Spray, as it is real olive oil, but a few squirts has nominal calories.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Tamari and Nutritional Yeast, in that order specifically.
  • Frenchi3
    Frenchi3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I looove popcorn. my dad is a big fan of it too. we make it on the stove with that crank popcorn bucket. we usually put salt, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, parmesean cheese sometimes, or my dad digs cheeze-its. basically any combo of seasoning you want. u can put olive or coconut oil instead of butter. pretzels, veggie chips, or triscuits are good munchies on top too. straight up salt and pepper is simple and surprisingly tasty. experiment! just like with everything else you do.