Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great thread OP:) it's quite inspiring to see all you ladies doing what you're doing. I just started doing squats and to be honest it's been a bit intimidating being the only girl in there and being challenged by the weight of the bar when the guy next to you is lifting three times your body weight. But gol darn it, I too shall keep at it and someday soon have a cool success story like you folks!:)
  • somethinginherair
    somethinginherair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I'm up around bodyweight maxes.. I regularly squat with nothing less than 95#.
  • JenniferT89
    Options
    When I do squats, I normally don't hold weights. I do, however, sometimes use the squat rack which is 45 pounds evenly distributed on my shoulders. I have done it holding 15 pounds in the past in a cardio strengthening intervol class, though I'd probably up that now that I'm a little more fit :)
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There are some strong ladies squatting here. I (currently) squat 150 for reps at 120 lbs.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Not very heavy now. :grumble:
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There are some strong ladies squatting here. I (currently) squat 150 for reps at 120 lbs.

That is a lot of weight. I only just recently broke thru my plateau and started lifting any heavier than 150lbs!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm only squatting 75# right now... With the size of my stomach and thighs, I can't QUITE hit parallel, so I'm waiting to up the weights until I can hit parallel... It's embarrassing but the fat doesn't let me get that low :blushing:
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    When i started the Stronglifts 5X5 program in November i could barely squat half my body weight (120 lbs). By January I was squatting 120lbs, but then I hurt my back at work so I had to stop lifting for about 6 weeks.

I've been lifting again for about 2-3 weeks. I squatted 90 lbs my first day back & felt great, but felt sore & drained by my next attempt. I was afraid that i might aggravate the injury and I really wanted to focus on my form, so i decided to lower the weight to 80 lbs. and work up from there.

Today I was able to squat 5x5 @ 105 lbs., and I feel strong with no sign of the lower back pain I had been experiencing before. So I should be back on track and squatting 120lb soon (i hope!)
  • LeashaLeash
    LeashaLeash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can squat 245lb and I compete in powerlifting and what I would say is that heavy squatting does nothing but good for your lower body. I absolutely love the legs and butt I have built from heavy lifting. I've also lost over an inch off my thighs since I started powerlifting, so trust me, you don't need to worry about your thighs getting big or bulky or anything.
  • marvybells
    Options
    I can squat 245lb and I compete in powerlifting and what I would say is that heavy squatting does nothing but good for your lower body. I absolutely love the legs and butt I have built from heavy lifting. I've also lost over an inch off my thighs since I started powerlifting, so trust me, you don't need to worry about your thighs getting big or bulky or anything.

damn, you are strong! I hope that I progress to that point one day
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing it long but I just worked with a trainer and we found my one rep max is 180.
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    the heavier the weight, the more muscle you gain, the more calories you burn…
    I weight 115 and squat 135, usually do 5 sets of 10, the more you practice the more you'll be able to increase the weight, just remember better form is better than higher weights
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been squatting since November and I'm only up to 55 pounds (two sad little 5 pound plates on the bar.) My knees hurt so bad while squatting that I'm afraid to push it, so I've just been working on my form. I feel like my legs can handle a lot more weight, but my knees can't yet. What really makes me feel bad is my 15 year old daughter can squat 12 reps of 135 (just a little less than her bodyweight) easily and she's only squatted a few times in her gym class at school.

I want to squat heavier so much, but I guess I'll get there one day. I can deadlift 3-4 times what I squat.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My 3 rep max was 215 lbs and this has only happened once, 7 reps at 180lbs and now after my back has gone out on me again (slipped disc) down to 115 :-( But I can at least do 3 sets of 12 and the good news is I don't have to have a spot in case I tumble over with all of the weight.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for reps, I'll do a few sets of 100 reps with a 20 pound kettle bell. If I'm going for weight, I'll do three sets of 15 with at least 100. I've never tried a max.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My working sets are between 175-195 right now. Last time I tested my ORM, it was 215, but that's been a few months.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    275 lbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    275 lbs.

that's an eye brow raiser- good job!!!

My squatz suck.:( sad panda face.

But we are working on it.

I did 160 for 20 reps yesterday. In theory I'll be repping 190 for 20 reps at the end of this program. In theory.

we'll see.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Started strength and flexability training in late Jan

Personal Bests so far

75 kg squat
    100kg dead lift

The 100kg was only last week. 1 rep - but I was so proud of myself.. Real motivation to keep at it as my starting best was 75kg..
  • marvybells
    Options
    amazing! some of you ladies are so strong. I was excited just to squat my own body weight since when i started i was only at half of that.

I have a question for those that are squatting, say, 150% or more of their body weight....What weight or percentage did you start at and how long did it take to get there?