7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Options

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    That's where the problem lies..... People don't truly educate themselves about low carb and think they are following some plan and gorge on protein and them get kidney issues and blame it on the diet....... NO low carb diet says replace your cars with protein it says UP your protein which doesn't mean 5 pounds of meat a day.....

Actually Dukan is a low carb / low fat / high protein diet - especially in the attack phase which only includes lean protein and some oat bran. Carbs increase as you get closer to goal weight but people will do it for extended periods of time if they have large amounts of weight to lose.

See here for more details if you like: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/populardietplans/a/Dukan-Diet-Review_2.htm

I've read up on it... I know what it is and YES it says eat as much as you want BUT so does Atkins and as an adult I know it's not a good idea to think like... Oh hey I am low carbing I'll just eat 5 pounds of steak for dinner... Which a LOT of people do so of course they have kidney issue and it's counterproductive to a low carb diet because and over abundance of protein turns to glucose..
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That's where the problem lies..... People don't truly educate themselves about low carb and think they are following some plan and gorge on protein and them get kidney issues and blame it on the diet....... NO low carb diet says replace your cars with protein it says UP your protein which doesn't mean 5 pounds of meat a day.....

Actually Dukan is a low carb / low fat / high protein diet - especially in the attack phase which only includes lean protein and some oat bran. Carbs increase as you get closer to goal weight but people will do it for extended periods of time if they have large amounts of weight to lose.

See here for more details if you like: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/populardietplans/a/Dukan-Diet-Review_2.htm

I've read up on it... I know what it is and YES it says eat as much as you want BUT so does Atkins and as an adult I know it's not a good idea to think like... Oh hey I am low carbing I'll just eat 5 pounds of steak for dinner... Which a LOT of people do so of course they have kidney issue and it's counterproductive to a low carb diet because and over abundance of protein turns to glucose..

I shall refrain from posting what I think of this post.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain weight when you start eating carbs again. There's nothing wrong with doing the very low carb thing -- as long as you're prepared to do it correctly and forever. But you sound like you're miserable, and being miserable is NOT a way to lose weight and keep it off for good.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What I've learned and practiced succesfully is that on a low carb diet you need a minimum of one high carb meal a week to replenish your glycogen storage. Some even go as high as one day per week . But the best way is to eat complex carbs for those meals(brown rice, sweet potatoes). And this should keep your energy up thru the week, even more so if you exercise frequently.
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of misconceptions of low carb dieting is being discussed....if you are going to hate on a diet, learn about it first people! It is a LIFESTYLE change, not a quick fix. But then again, EVERYTHING you do to lose weight (low carb, low cal, excersise, stomach surgery) HAS to be a lifestyle change or youd still be overweight. Low carb isnt for everyone. Either is stomach removal, excersise, low cal, or overeating. Pick what works for you and your life and stop hating on others or trying to educate them on their method of eating....rant over
  • mdallas6
    Options
    I went to the store and just bought a regular multivitamin and going to try to hit only 30 carbs again today and see what happens.
    Same here! Go to keep those vitamins coming!!!
  • mdallas6
    Options

I shall refrain from posting what I think of this post.
    lolololol ditto
  • mdallas6
    Options

I dont think anyone who seriously low carbs would eat 5 lbs of meat!!!! Your stomach shrinks on this diet and I cant possibly imagine that happening. When low carb is done correctly, you dont get hungry so it seems impossible to eat like that...but to each their own!!
  • ALNoog
    Options

I dont think anyone who seriously low carbs would eat 5 lbs of meat!!!! Your stomach shrinks on this diet and I cant possibly imagine that happening. When low carb is done correctly, you dont get hungry so it seems impossible to eat like that...but to each their own!!

Exactly.... So eating the amount of protein needed to actually put your kidneys into dialysis would be an extremely high amount....
  • ALNoog
    Options
    Seems like a lot of misconceptions of low carb dieting is being discussed....if you are going to hate on a diet, learn about it first people! It is a LIFESTYLE change, not a quick fix. But then again, EVERYTHING you do to lose weight (low carb, low cal, excersise, stomach surgery) HAS to be a lifestyle change or youd still be overweight. Low carb isnt for everyone. Either is stomach removal, excersise, low cal, or overeating. Pick what works for you and your life and stop hating on others or trying to educate them on their method of eating....rant over

I'm not hating on OP at all...I am a MAJOR supporter of low carb... He said he drinks sodas and eats sausages and hot dogs and only veggies every Couple of days and said he is doing low carb and not feeling well..... That is pretty much what would be expected from that particular diet...

I do low carb and I love it and have had GREAT Success on it and I recommend it to everyone who asks what I am doing but the first thing i tell them Is it's not a quick fix crash diet and to pick which actual existing program they think will work for them and learn everything about it they possibly can and then follow it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Are you ready for the water weight gain once you increase your carbs?

:-(

I was thinking this...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I dont believe too much in net carbs so if it has carbs I count all the carbs for my day. Im eating a veggie every other day since I dont like too many, but I also was horribly constipated one day so I decided to fit in some veggies. Today Im going to have me a ceasar salad and day after tomorrow going to eat green beans.

Net carbs is a mechanism to encourage increased fiber intake. Comments like the one quoted are typically what drive people to conclude Atkins = meat and cheese. If you ignore the concept of net carbs then your total carb count is always going to be really low. If you don't believe in net carbs then you need to adjust any type of low carb diet approach to hit a minimum fiber goal and a max carb goal to achieve the same effect. You can actually have a sizeable amount of carbs on induction if they come from the right sources. It would be viable to say on induction you should eat 30g fiber and 50g total carbs - which is just another way to say 20g net carbs.

why not just eat in a calorie deficit and move around a little more?

Why the need for complex formulas and self torture?

Low carb is not some magical fat burning solution, it is just a tool to create a calorie deficit...
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I dont believe too much in net carbs so if it has carbs I count all the carbs for my day. Im eating a veggie every other day since I dont like too many, but I also was horribly constipated one day so I decided to fit in some veggies. Today Im going to have me a ceasar salad and day after tomorrow going to eat green beans.

Net carbs is a mechanism to encourage increased fiber intake. Comments like the one quoted are typically what drive people to conclude Atkins = meat and cheese. If you ignore the concept of net carbs then your total carb count is always going to be really low. If you don't believe in net carbs then you need to adjust any type of low carb diet approach to hit a minimum fiber goal and a max carb goal to achieve the same effect. You can actually have a sizeable amount of carbs on induction if they come from the right sources. It would be viable to say on induction you should eat 30g fiber and 50g total carbs - which is just another way to say 20g net carbs.

why not just eat in a calorie deficit and move around a little more?

Why the need for complex formulas and self torture?

Low carb is not some magical fat burning solution, it is just a tool to create a calorie deficit...

Sorry for making things so confusing. I was just trying to point out why it is important to get fiber if you are low carbing and I guess that didn't come across in the original message since so many people felt it was un-necessary.

I do agree that formulas and such aren't necessarily needed when everyone is carrying around a smartphone with the MFP app on it. Back when Atkins was first introduced in the 70s I would think that calculating and tracking 1 number, net carbs, was actually easier than tracking total calories and macros.

At any rate, not trying to say net carbs cure all your problems - just trying to educate the OP on why his carbs shouldn't come from lemon water and cookies if he is only going to eat 20 carbs a day.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is what I ate today

Breakfast
    4 frozen sausage patties, stick of pepperjack cheese

Snack
    Pork Rinds

Lunch
    10 buffalo style chicken wings

Dinner

Ceasar salad half a cup of lettuce. 2 tablespoons of dressing
    3 grilled chicken wings
    Some shredded roast pork
    Grilled chicken thigh

I took two multivitamins in the morning. Feeling good still today. Going to see if I need to up my carbs before bed like I did last night. So far Im feeling good again.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Im not a 100% sure i only ate 30 carbs today since the chicken and pork were marinated at a restaurant. But I feel good right now so tomorrow I will shoot for the 30grams again.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im not a 100% sure i only ate 30 carbs today since the chicken and pork were marinated at a restaurant. But I feel good right now so tomorrow I will shoot for the 30grams again.

have fun!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    it doesn't take three weeks to "enter ketosis"

Read what I wrote. I said it can take up to 3 weeks.
    It takes me a few days to enter ketosis on low carb so when I binge, I can lose up to a week of benefits.

Her method won't keep her in ketosis which is why I said there was no use for her to continue with the low carb.

So unless you've been on a low carb diet take your assumptions elsewhere.

Wow, aren't you a peach?? I take it you actually think ketosis is a GOOD thing?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

There is so much wrong in this thread, it is hard to know where to start. But in my second attempt, I shall point out that stomachs do not shrink.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

There is so much wrong in this thread, it is hard to know where to start. But in my second attempt, I shall point out that stomachs do not shrink.
    The size of the human stomach when empty is about 75ml. Which is about a quarter cup. Damn thing would disappear if it "shrunk."
  • mdallas6
    Options
    Yes it does adjust to your eating....hence why people who have part of their stomach removed can regain their weight if they eat more than what their stomach can hold