News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is judging PF for being judgmental.

I love irony.

Ummm... PF isn't a person, it's a business.
    What you call "judgmental", I call a free market economy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is judging PF for being judgmental.

I love irony.

Meh, I never claimed to be judgment free
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read about that! I think it's ridiculous. It's her gym too and she wasn't hurting anybody. Really, the outfit she wore isn't any different from what a lot of young women wear in parks, on boardwalks, or even on the beach during the summer. Everyone on a fitness walk looks forward to the day they can bare their beautiful, sculpted body that they've worked so hard for. I see it more as an inspiration than an intimidation. In the words of Rizzo in Grease: "Some people are so touchy." :tongue:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I just think of Planet Fitness as the Old Lady Gym. It makes a lot more sense this way. No "scary" equipment that might hurt anyone who is not too aware of their surroundings or could injure themselves without proper form, no loud noises to disturb them and no showing skin.
  • stumped123456
    stumped123456 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    too many people haven;t a clue about being modest and love to put on a show for the men like that's all they got to offer.....their bodies. it's disrespectful to others to walk around uncovered.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    too many people haven;t a clue about being modest and love to put on a show for the men like that's all they got to offer.....their bodies. it's disrespectful to others to walk around uncovered.

The 1950s called
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options

The 1950s called

^ right?

No one was worried about her modesty....everyone was worried about their own guts' overflowing their too-tight yoga pants and was jealous that she has a fit body and is NOT insecure. I feel people like that should just give up - trust me - NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE. I go to a smaller private gym and I am probably one of the people there in the worst shape - I'm talking women walking around rocking booty shorts and bra tops with muscles upon muslces lifting 2 times MY weight! and guess what? they are nice people - they are encouraging and friendly and they could give a F*** about what my body looks like - they are worried about their own. One day I'm going to be walking around the gym in booty shorts and bratops showing off my muslces.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    So...the gym "Planet Fitness" has a dress code. Woman breaks said dress code and is asked to cover up, then proceeds to complain about it to news media, who then essentially "run" with it, causing everyone to bash Planet Fitness because of a dress code policy....seems fair :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Planet Fitness myself. But, to give them **** when it was the customer who broke a rule is a little b/s, imo. I happen to agree with an earlier poster in the thread and say if she doesn't like that then go to another gym that allows the attire that she wants to wear.
  • aslrunner
    Options
    This is backwards thinking. "I feel uncomfortable when I look at you. Therefore, you have offended me and must change." Wrong-O! If looking upon a toned body offends you, then you should evaluate your own insecurities. How my body makes you feel is none of my business!

** With that said if the woman signed up knowing the rules, and broke the rules, then that's on her.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Planet Fitness and the rules for gym attire. I do not want to sit or lean on a machine that has bare skin touch it. If this woman has any kind of dermis problems it could infect me and in turn I could carry it somewhere else. Even though Planet Fitness wants you to sanitize the equipment after use how do I know this woman or anyone else does. A layer of material at least is a barrier. Planet Fitness was very diplomatic in the way they handeled this. They made her think she was so fit and georgeous that others were jealous. This is pure nonsense, and this woman is looking for attention.

Planet Fitness caters to everyone, is inexpensive and a place where someone like me, 60 years old, fat and out of shape to go as well as those who are looking to bulk up muscles, 20 somethings, etc.

It really ticks me off that this is getting so much coverage in the media and that people just don't get it that it is a hygiene issue not a "sexy" clothes issue!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I admittedly don't get it. They are a business, they are allowed to have a dress code. If they enforce a dress code that is their (literal) business. The woman in question broke their policy and was kicked out as a result as you would fully expect given their policy. It is a non-story.
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options

The 1950s called

Twenty somthings could learn a lot from the 50" calling............maybe you should answer:huh:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

Lol. The new Taliban of fitness.

How the hell is a tank top intimidating? LOL
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

I agree completely, follow the rules or go someplace else!
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.

I do not want your bare, sweaty body touching the machines and have to follow you! What if you had eczema?
  • PlanetVelma
    Options
    I totally agree with Planet Fitness and the rules for gym attire. I do not want to sit or lean on a machine that has bare skin touch it. If this woman has any kind of dermis problems it could infect me and in turn I could carry it somewhere else. Even though Planet Fitness wants you to sanitize the equipment after use how do I know this woman or anyone else does. A layer of material at least is a barrier. Planet Fitness was very diplomatic in the way they handeled this. They made her think she was so fit and georgeous that others were jealous. This is pure nonsense, and this woman is looking for attention.

Planet Fitness caters to everyone, is inexpensive and a place where someone like me, 60 years old, fat and out of shape to go as well as those who are looking to bulk up muscles, 20 somethings, etc.

It really ticks me off that this is getting so much coverage in the media and that people just don't get it that it is a hygiene issue not a "sexy" clothes issue!

I think the gym could have handled it better. I saw some news coverage on this matter and they told the lady that she was "intimidating" other gym members and offered her another shirt to "cover up".

It would've been MUCH better customer service if they had reminded her of their dress code. When they would have realized she was a very NEW member could have coached her in a nice manner. When this lady was interviewed she indicated it was her FIRST visit since she joined (she was in a car accident trying to get back into a fitness routine).

Personally...to me, it kinda sounds like a customer service issue and probably could have been handled better.

*preparing to be flamed* lol
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    So...the gym "Planet Fitness" has a dress code. Woman breaks said dress code and is asked to cover up, then proceeds to complain about it to news media, who then essentially "run" with it, causing everyone to bash Planet Fitness because of a dress code policy....seems fair :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Planet Fitness myself. But, to give them **** when it was the customer who broke a rule is a little b/s, imo. I happen to agree with an earlier poster in the thread and say if she doesn't like that then go to another gym that allows the attire that she wants to wear.

Totally agree!
  • PlanetVelma
    Options

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.

I do not want your bare, sweaty body touching the machines and have to follow you! What if you had eczema?

You're joking right? LOL

Eczema isn't contagious....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Eczema isn't contagious.

And they didn't tell her it was a dress code issue or a hygiene issue. They told her it was because she was intimidating because she's toned. That's why people are taking issue.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

NO TANK TOPS?

i pay my membership fees too, so I'll put my man sweat anywhere I please. Deal with it.