large or small breakfast to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

ETA: Not sure if we're ever going to crack this egg.

Rigger
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    OP I suggest you take your advice from the people here who've had actual and long standing success.

Do what works best for you and just stay within your calorie goal. I often don't eat for 4-6 hours after waking up. I get up and head straight to they gym to lift or head out for a run.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The smartest rule of thumb I have heard to date:
    Breakfast: Eat like a king
    Lunch: Eat like a price
    Dinner: Eat like a pauper
    I have trained myself to fuel my body for the day going this route and am less prone to late night snacking.

this worked for me for a while, but then i started developing different habits.

i started to work out really early, so i didn't want to eat heavy before or after.

i also have always enjoyed a big evening meal with a nice glass of wine (or two), so i started doing that more often.

skipping breakfast and having a big lunch and a big dinner with a couple of small snacks in between worked for me.

but for a while i ate 6 small meals a day while i had issues with portion control and was trying to get that under control.

eat how you like.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Then you must be referring to yourself because you are the one that spewed that another poster and I were wrong for our opinions which placed you at the bottom of the stack of class in my opinion.

So if you're opinion is wrong, and I correct your misinformation that makes me classless? Seems legit. :noway:

Rigger

But you haven't corrected anything and that is the point. I am still waiting for you to throw the book at me.

Just did in a previous post, also pointed out several studies posted by others.

Here we go again.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.full

Maybe that's not your speed though, I could probably find something on the Livestrong blog if you like?

Rigger

BTW - Your research article is date for the year 2000 and mine 2013...but maybe that is your speed though:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20460/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    First of all there is something very nasty about your attitude if you're going to body shame any type of idividual, Soapfan777, and it's completely inappropriate here.

I don't feel my attitude is nasty or my comments were inappropiate.

Therein lies the issue.

Therein lies the issue with you if you haven't concluded comments made towards me were nasty and inappropiate as well.

Which one of us called your body disgusting and mutated?

I did not state that anyone called my body disgusting and mutated. However, some of your replies were nasty and inappropiate just the same. Are you going to deny it?

The statement was in regards to YOU stating that bodybuilders are disgusting and unhealthy. Which is both irrelevant and offensive.

You were nasty to me long before my statement about body builders and it's in black and white for anyone to read it.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    First of all there is something very nasty about your attitude if you're going to body shame any type of idividual, Soapfan777, and it's completely inappropriate here.

I suppose if YOU don't see it then it doesn't exist, much like the several studies in this thread that refute your position which seem to have escaped your gaze.

Rigger

itude adjustment starts at home. If you are going to insult me then don't cry foul when it's done to you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058449

This is not a study.

EVERY single point listed says "MAY".

Whatever! Just like your source "MAY" help those who skip breakfast to lose weight
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Then you must be referring to yourself because you are the one that spewed that another poster and I were wrong for our opinions which placed you at the bottom of the stack of class in my opinion.

So if you're opinion is wrong, and I correct your misinformation that makes me classless? Seems legit. :noway:

Rigger

But you haven't corrected anything and that is the point. I am still waiting for you to throw the book at me.

Here we go again.

Maybe that's not your speed though, I could probably find something on the Livestrong blog if you like?

Rigger

BTW - Your research article is date for the year 2000 and mine 2013...but maybe that is your speed though:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20460/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

This study was done on people with metabolic syndrome, so while it is a useful study for people WITH metabolic syndrome, it is not generalizeable to all adults.

I would read the whole study by I don't have access to it, not even through my university library.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Considering your body needs about 8 hours of sleep in order to process the food intake, exercise and water, my answer is no.

Good for you but it doesn't change the facts from the experts who are educated and practice health management for a living.

BTW - Many bodybuilders practice unhealthy lifestyles nor do I want to be or look like a bodybuilder. Therefore, if that is your point of reference then I'll pass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Link to so called experts on your end plz.

Much like your old and outdated link...hmmm:

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    can everyone just bow out gracefully??

225px-Internet_argument.png
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Whatever! Just like your source "MAY" help those who skip breakfast to lose weight

There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study

Where do you see such a statement?
  • Soapfan777
    Options

Rigger

Here we go again.

Rigger

This study was done on people with metabolic syndrome, so while it is a useful study for people WITH metabolic syndrome, it is not generalizeable to all adults.

I would read the whole study by I don't have access to it, not even through my university library.

Neither is your source!
  • Soapfan777
    Options

And you post yet another non peer-reviewed source... did you go to school?

Did you go to school?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Considering your body needs about 8 hours of sleep in order to process the food intake, exercise and water, my answer is no.

Good for you but it doesn't change the facts from the experts who are educated and practice health management for a living.

BTW - Many bodybuilders practice unhealthy lifestyles nor do I want to be or look like a bodybuilder. Therefore, if that is your point of reference then I'll pass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Link to so called experts on your end plz.

Much like your old and outdated link...hmmm:

ok... time to stop posting.....
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Therein lies the issue.

Therein lies the issue with you if you haven't concluded comments made towards me were nasty and inappropiate as well.

I did not state that anyone called my body disgusting and mutated. However, some of your replies were nasty and inappropiate just the same. Are you going to deny it?

The statement was in regards to YOU stating that bodybuilders are disgusting and unhealthy. Which is both irrelevant and offensive.

You were nasty to me long before my statement about body builders and it's in black and white for anyone to read it.

Because I called myself a mutant? I happen to be very into X men, so I don't find that offensive in the least bit. Nor was that anything against you. That's when you began your ramble on how my personal timing was going to negatively effect me because apparently there's this magical 4 hour window that most people were unaware of. That's when I simply used bodybuilders as an example and those who do IF. Thus began your irrelevant bashing of a body type you don't like. Pretty sure anyone with a 5th grade reading level could come to this conclusion. I only got nasty when you got offensive.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can see someone here has way too much time on their hands and thinks they know better than those here who have done years of their own research on this, as well as having success to prove that meal timing is irrelevant.

To the OP, do whatever fits your lifestyle best. I do not have breakfast and have not done so since I was a child.
    I even did intermittent fasting and ate all my food between 6pm and 2am.
    Certainly did not do me any harm and I lost bodyfat and weight while doing so.
  • Soapfan777
    Options

There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study

Where do you see such a statement?

I never stated that your article included such statement. The point is it is implied because studies are just that studies. The results are not ment to imply that the results will be the same for everyone.
  • Soapfan777
    Options

Therein lies the issue.

Because I called myself a mutant? I happen to be very into X men, so I don't find that offensive in the least bit. Nor was that anything against you. That's when you began your ramble on how my personal timing was going to negatively effect me because apparently there's this magical 4 hour window that most people were unaware of. That's when I simply used bodybuilders as an example and those who do IF. Thus began your irrelevant bashing of a body type you don't like. Pretty sure anyone with a 5th grade reading level could come to this conclusion. I only got nasty when you got offensive.

Then you must don't have a 5th grade education because if you did then you would have realized that your statements could be taken just as offensive just as you are labeling mine.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

And you post yet another non peer-reviewed source... did you go to school?

Did you go to school?

You do realize it's ok to admit you're wrong? We'll never know everything and when someone points out we're wrong it's an opportunity to learn.

You're devolving into 6 year old fighting tactics and it's destroying your credibility to argue your point. It's ok to say this is what works for me, but something else may work better for you.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Since you are in school, I would plan ahead for meal prepping, so that you can eat a large breakfast in little time. If you precook your breakfast ahead of time, for instance, boiling up about 6 eggs and baking a large batch of biscuits or precooking oatmeal ahead of time, with fresh fruit already rationed out, then you can just wake up, reheat your breakfast in the microwave, eat it and go out the door! You will feel satisfied rather than famished and at least be full until lunchtime. So, since your schedule is hectic, I would opt to eat the big breakfast in the morning to hold you over, longer.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    I can see someone here has way too much time on their hands and thinks they know better than those here who have done years of their own research on this, as well as having success to prove that meal timing is irrelevant.

To the OP, do whatever fits your lifestyle best. I do not have breakfast and have not done so since I was a child.
    I even did intermittent fasting and ate all my food between 6pm and 2am.
    Certainly did not do me any harm and I lost bodyfat and weight while doing so.

I see someone has too much time on their hands for not having the balls to direct her post to the appropiate poster. The timing of meals are as relevant to some as it is irrelevant to others.