News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My gym has a dress code and her top would not pass because of the mid-drift showing.

I have never seen anyone dressed inappropriately, but I can guarantee they would be asked to leave if they were.

Grunting is okay, they have tons of weights, multiple power cages and squat racks, olympic lifting platforms with bumper plates and tons of cardio equipment;.

Anyway, easy enough to follow a simple dress code.

What's a mid-drift?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    She's in Northern CA. I think we all know what's happening

Intrigued. Please do elaborate. I am always interested in how Nor Cal is viewed from afar.

How it's viewed from afar? BMW got sued because a guy in San Francisco got aroused by riding on one of their motorcycles.

Hmmm . . . not sure how this relates -- she's setting up for a lawsuit of some kind? Or PF is worried about a lawsuit due to her bare hotness?

Anyway - hadn't before heard of the BMW suit. I will assume that BMW responded with something akin to: "Plaintiff confuses a feature with a bug." :smile:

Why would you run to the media if you don't want a payday?

Northern CA is viewed as "not business friendly"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My gym has a dress code and her top would not pass because of the mid-drift showing.

I have never seen anyone dressed inappropriately, but I can guarantee they would be asked to leave if they were.

Grunting is okay, they have tons of weights, multiple power cages and squat racks, olympic lifting platforms with bumper plates and tons of cardio equipment;.

What's a mid-drift?

Drifting.jpg
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

What's a mid-drift?

Drifting.jpg

Well-played, sir.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I went to my P.F. gym today, dressed and ready to better my health. I was dressed in the appropriate clothing, was excited to work on my health, and be in a judgement free place.

I did not go there to preen in front of a mirror, try to make my muscles buldge, or compete with the other puffed up, strutting young men. That is NOT what P.F. is about.

A person who likes to work on thier health and fitness are what P.F. is promoting. It is not a Spring Break, bikini contest, or a muscle competition type of gym.

I have news for all of you who think you are so "intimadating" with your body, there will ALWAYS be another person who is fitter, thinner, stronger and better looking that you. This young woman who supposedly was recuperating from an injury went into the gym, met with a staff, was given a tour, told the rules, and decided to throw a little hissy fit over a employee telling her TWICE to cover up and even offered a free t-shirt.

I discussed with the P.F. Staff about this internet sensation, and they just laughed. They said they have had a few who have come in dressed in a work out bra and just explained why they have certain rules. I saw myself a young man come in with huge pants hanging down below his butt with his underwear showing and he was very quietly taken aside and explained why that was not OK.

The bottom line is, if you want to be sexy, show skin, buff up, be hip and all the stuff that goes along with that go to that kind of gym. It will cost you a whole lot of money but you can feel at home. If you want a place that is laid back, promotes health and fitness and is only $10.00 a month, no contract then go to P.F.
  • aworkoutroutine
    aworkoutroutine Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... if you don't like PF, then just go to a different gym.

I do disagree with PF's policies -- including their promotion of junk food and candy, not to mention their bizarre "lunk" alarm -- but she could just go to a different gym, seriously.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I went to my P.F. gym today, dressed and ready to better my health. I was dressed in the appropriate clothing, was excited to work on my health, and be in a judgement free place.

I did not go there to preen in front of a mirror, try to make my muscles buldge, or compete with the other puffed up, strutting young men. That is NOT what P.F. is about.

A person who likes to work on thier health and fitness are what P.F. is promoting. It is not a Spring Break, bikini contest, or a muscle competition type of gym.

I have news for all of you who think you are so "intimadating" with your body, there will ALWAYS be another person who is fitter, thinner, stronger and better looking that you. This young woman who supposedly was recuperating from an injury went into the gym, met with a staff, was given a tour, told the rules, and decided to throw a little hissy fit over a employee telling her TWICE to cover up and even offered a free t-shirt.

I discussed with the P.F. Staff about this internet sensation, and they just laughed. They said they have had a few who have come in dressed in a work out bra and just explained why they have certain rules. I saw myself a young man come in with huge pants hanging down below his butt with his underwear showing and he was very quietly taken aside and explained why that was not OK.

The bottom line is, if you want to be sexy, show skin, buff up, be hip and all the stuff that goes along with that go to that kind of gym. It will cost you a whole lot of money but you can feel at home. If you want a place that is laid back, promotes health and fitness and is only $10.00 a month, no contract then go to P.F.

I'm still not convinced that the bolded above is true.

Also, no contract?? Interesting. Do you not sign an agreement when you join? (And if you do...and I suspect you do...I would *love* to see a copy of the fine print on it.)

PS: I took my shirt off in my profile pic just for this post...because that's what us young 42 year old guys do...we strut and preen and flex to make our muscles bulge in mirrors like we're on spring break in a muscle competition. Sadly, my wife didn't don a bikini and join in. Hmph. Maybe next time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

First of all, it wasn't that SHE thought she was intimidating. I definitely don't think I am. That's kinda the point. The gym told her she was intimidating. Which is ridiculous.

Also, they didn't tell you that the reason was gross skin touching the machines? Huh.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Also, no contract?? Interesting. Do you not sign an agreement when you join? (And if you do...and I suspect you do...I would *love* to see a copy of the fine print on it.)

PS: I took my shirt off in my profile pic just for this post...because that's what us young 42 year old guys do...we strut and preen and flex to make our muscles bulge in mirrors like we're on spring break in a muscle competition. Sadly, my wife didn't don a bikini and join in. Hmph. Maybe next time.

I think I speak for the rest of the preening and flexing crowd when I say... I approve of your profile pic, Jof. Heartily approve!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I think I speak for the rest of the preening and flexing crowd when I say... I approve of your profile pic, Jof. Heartily approve!

Please don't.

His ego is already too large...

...so large, in fact, that he has recently started referring to himself in third person.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

tl;dr
  • healthieryear
    healthieryear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can pretty easily be intimidated whether or not I can physically see someone is toned....making them wear a shirt would make zero difference...at least to me. Besides being embarrassed that I'm so out of shape and others who are clearly not may think badly of me, I actually like seeing someone who is toned...shows me what I could potentially obtain if I keep working at it.

As someone with severe anxiety, hearing about this has made it more likely I will never join a gym. Never going to take the chance of not meeting a dress code or even worse setting off a "lunk" alarm. Could it go off from heavy breathing due to being so out of shape or does someone have to physically ring it? Either way...gyms scare me. My dad literally built one in his backyard, too bad its 45 min. away and no a/c.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

You certainty have a judgey tone about you.

Assuming that people who don't dress like you do, are there to preen and be hip and sexy.

Assuming that people who are fit, feel that great about themselves (which I guarantee many do not - as many have self esteem issues of their own)

Assuming that people who wear snug fitting clothing, or stand in front of the mirror are doing it to either have a love affair with their own body look, or aim to have everyone else admire them.

And yet you are looking at others there, and judging them. Judging their clothes.

Do you report people to the PF police when they don't line up with your expectations?

I'm really glad you have a place that caters to your needs. Enjoy it.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I can pretty easily be intimidated whether or not I can physically see someone is toned....making them wear a shirt would make zero difference...at least to me. Besides being embarrassed that I'm so out of shape and others who are clearly not may think badly of me, I actually like seeing someone who is toned...shows me what I could potentially obtain if I keep working at it.

As someone with severe anxiety, hearing about this has made it more likely I will never join a gym. Never going to take the chance of not meeting a dress code or even worse setting off a "lunk" alarm. Could it go off from heavy breathing due to being so out of shape or does someone have to physically ring it? Either way...gyms scare me. My dad literally built one in his backyard, too bad its 45 min. away and no a/c.

Hey, if it makes you feel better... I am in pretty good shape and I still get intimidated. I feel like people are looking at me and I get nervous. It's another reason why I have my own gym in my basement. Well, that and I apparently need to preen and kiss the mirror.

I went to the Y the other day, and eyed the weights area, but was too shy to go in. Instead I ran the track, used the pool, and came home to my weights, where I felt most comfy. :D

Regardless of shape and size, it's in our own mind where we get intimidated. It actually has very little to do with what someone else is wearing, what they are doing, or how they look.

:flowerforyou:

PS.. Try not to worry. Maybe find a friend you can be partners in crime with!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Guess who is going to her gym(planet fitness) in a sports bra and shorty shorts tomorrow?!? Memememememem!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: seeing fit people and have no problem being exposed to people who are "more awesome" than me. It's inspiring and I feel respect, not shame, when I see them. Even the show-offs are OK. They provide a little amusement for me. I'm cool with less fit people, too. If you're present and putting in some effort, you've got my respect. Can't we all just get along without worrying about hurting each others feelings? It's not kindergarten, people. Leave your hang-ups at the door.

I will be have to avoid PF, since I don't like to be surrounded by a bunch of low self-esteemed, self-conscious victims who spend their gym time making comparisons between themselves and others and feeling intimidated when they don't measure up, instead of just getting on with their own workouts. What a bunch of babies. :sad:

Thankfully, my gym has a wide range of fitness types, and is a TRUE "judgement-free zone," since everyone is welcome there - even people like me, who wear tank tops. :laugh:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a business. Like any other business, it's looking to stand out in ways that will improve it's bottom line.

The company realizes that you can sustain an entire franchise catering to a paying crowd that is made up largely of the out of shape, the overweight, the insecure, the frightened, and the easily intimidated. Create a "judgement free" zone for that clientele, and BOOM, you've struck oil. You now appeal to a very large swath of Americans who are embarrassed or uncomfortable going to more "vain" gyms. It also means you're likely to have a higher pool of the usual new-years-ever-beginners who gleefully sign up at the "judgement free" gym, never to return again after January.

This kind of publicity is golden. If it means embarrassing a few hard working grunters, banning belly buttons, or shaming a decently sized slender woman in a tank top, so be it. This story might seem appalling to some, but there are probably more who look at a news piece like that and head straight down to the local Planet Fitness to sign up ASAP since PF "cares" and is in the business of protecting them from all the intimidating fit people.

Can't blame them. It's obviously a goldmine idea.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

"

Actually, I belong to a mom-and-pop gym in the small town in which I live and a larger chain (not PF) in the city in which I work. Neither have "lunk" alarms, as long as the "naughty bits" are covered and everybody is wearing the appropriage shoes, nobody gives a d@mn. I'm not in the best shape ever and in the gym in the larger city, some patrons are at least 400 lbs - we workout along side professional bodybuilders and MMA fighters. (Gotta love Vegas, baby!! :love: ) I even use the pool and some of the younger, hotter women wear bikinis. I've never felt the least bit intimidated. The gym in Vegas has a "women's gym" but I've never used it, and if fact, have picked up some very nice pointers from the bodybuilders. I don't love to lift but at least I'm learning to lift correctly and it shows! Just think how much worse off I would be with PF's "anti-lunk" BS. :ohwell:

I don't pay more than $10 a month for EITHER gym and I pay less than $20 per month for BOTH.

Edited to add: I have belonged to the Vegas gym since 2006 and the smaller gym since 2012. I don't have an actual contract, I pay a year in advance and have since I joined.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

What's a mid-drift?

Sorry, typo. I meant to type midriff.