This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Fast Food makes it easy to go over normal calories you should have! The extra sodas, beers, and sugars are no good.

Beer is no good???

OMG what a thing to say, there is no need to insult beer.
    I'm wondering which fast food joint is serving beer; the Wendy's around here has yet to install a kegerator.

Starbucks is starting to sell wine and beer in the evenings >>

What about milkshakes at 8-9pm?

NO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE BAD! MILKSHAKES ARE BAD! 8-9 PM IS BAD!

What about a frappuchino? Or a frosty? Please tell me frosty's are okay after 9pm!

Now you're complicating things.

You need to ask OP, who knows about this stuff
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Fast Food makes it easy to go over normal calories you should have! The extra sodas, beers, and sugars are no good.

Beer is no good???

I'm wondering which fast food joint is serving beer; the Wendy's around here has yet to install a kegerator.

What if they are boozy milkshakes? What then?

add in the irish cream and you have a winner...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of folks are saying they have trouble eating low amounts of calories required of their diet structure. At first glance, this doesn't make a lick of sense. How in the world could someone end up so fat, usually eating 2 meals and snacking late at night, and then claim they aren't capable of eating a much smaller amount while enjoying 3 meals a day plus a snack? How is that possible? They're lying! They must be!

Not exactly. The original problem, becoming fat, is that you didn't keep up with your calories to begin with. You had no idea what was going into your body but now it is painfully obvious that it was to much. Now you are trying to eat healthy. Grilled meats instead of fried, wheat breads (and a lot less of it), veggies, rather than mac and cheese, that sort of thing. The biggest thing is that you've also kicked the soft drinks, and worst of all, sweet tea (the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods) That's where all of the calories went.

I'm a pretty big guy. I was 260 when I started and I am still quite a bit over weight at 207 and I can "throweth tha **** down" on an all-you-can-eat. But its all in the way you arrange it. Yes, I can eat 16oz of chicken, an entire can of green beans, and a large potato with deli mustard and greek yogurt for dinner, but who does that? And more over, who wants to consistently spend the money on that? When you cut out the unhealthy foods, the high calorie dishes are replaced with low calorie dishes. It's not practical or cost effect to make a half a cup of mac and cheese or exactly 9 french fries. When I make dinner I grill a big piece of chicken, I eat a half a can of green beans (as my wife eats the other half) and a potato with greek yogurt and deli mustard, sometimes even cheese. After all that, my whole meal was 500-700 calories. Meaning I would have had to have eatin that or more for breakfast and lunch, again. who does that, and more over, who can afford to do that daily?

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

TL;DR: This reads like a blog post. The fact that I don't have the same responses to food that you do (I guess?) completely invalidates the post for me, which contributed to making it difficult to understand in the first place. Additionally, there's a strong use of style and voice, but I wouldn't necessarily call it effective because it leaves your point to meander along in strange ways.

Longer version:

It took me several times reading the post to figure out what you were saying as well. First you claim that people get fat due, in part, to nutrient timing and frequency. Then you claim (I think) that the problem is that people aren't monitoring their intake. The problem there is that nutrient timing and frequency are largely irrelevant as long as whatever pattern one chooses makes it possibly/easier for that person to maintain a deficit--assuming weight loss is the goal. Lots of people lose weight eating 2 meals with late night snacks, and they're perfectly healthy doing so.

And then there's far too much time spent talking about what seems to be a discussion of calorie quality as it relates to satiety and the resulting effect on hitting daily calorie goals. Most of my problem there is that you make a lot of assumptions about people. Your statements/question about wondering "who does that?" and "who can afford to do that daily?" are pretty easily answered. Lots of people do that, and it works for them, both in terms of fitting food into their schedules and their finances. It doesn't have to work for you, but I can't say that I care, nor would I expect you to care if any particular strategy works for me.

Your last sentence also seems to presume too much about your audience. It is not easy for me to 1000 calories in a day, regardless of quality. In fact, it would probably kill me. My blood sugar would drop out, and I would become so annoying to be around that my co workers would conspire against me. I'd be found several days later washed up on a beach somewhere. It's also not particularly easy for me to eat 2000 calories per day, regardless of quality. It's closer, to be sure. My sweet spot for tolerable satiety seems to be around 2100-2250ish. I still wouldn't call it easy, though. 3k calories per day? Yes, that I can do, and it doesn't matter if it's "healthy" or "unhealthy." And I'm sure we have different views on what falls under those categories as well.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Beer is no good???

Years ago when I still lived in my home country ( Germany ) I developed a very nasty double sided kidney infection and ended up in the hospital. I was given a beer with lunch and another one with dinner, because beer in moderation supposedly promotes kidney health. I still believe that beer is one of the best medicines around....lol.
    If I had the choice only between commercial juice, soft drinks or beer, I would always chose beer, because it is more nutritious and plain healthier....in moderation of course....:o).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Beer is no good???

I think this thread has established that beer is bad, wine is good, and no comment yet on hard liquor. It's tough to keep up, though. Almost as hard as eating 2,000 calories.
  • kurviekutie
    kurviekutie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    and worst of all, sweet tea (the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods) That's where all of the calories went.

You named my arch nemesis disguised as my best friend! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I got sooooo fat over the summer! I was drinking a giant cup of sweet tea everyday! That and my salted caramel lattes! LOL! I have switched to Chai (tea bag not concentrate!) with some homemade creamer~ half n half and agave. I am getting my craving satisfied without loads of sugar or calories!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Beer is no good???

I think this thread has established that beer is bad, wine is good, and no comment yet on hard liquor. It's tough to keep up, though. Almost as hard as eating 2,000 calories.

See....I was going to stay out - but there we go demonizing beer again. What did beer ever do to you? There's always room in my calories for beer - daily I might add - has it's own category it does. :drinker:
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This thread needs a beer milkshake.

I get that OP is trying to explain why some people can not eat up to their calorie goal. OP this might by why you can not eat at that limited, but everyone is really different. Some people can eat right before bed, some can not. I eat at my weekly calorie goal, no problem, no problem eating 2,000 either. 3,000, well, mentally, there would be huge issues there. It is great that you are try to help others understand, but unless you have done some research involving others and their eating habits, it is really a moot point.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Beer is no good???

The twinkie and vodka diet is fine.
  • persaud87
    Options
    Wow. Nutrition 101 is needed in this thread. 2000 calories being hard is laughable. Cup of oats with a glass of milk for breakfast is almost 500 calories right there and that doesnt even include the eggs and fruit you will probably have with it. There are millions of other combos to get to 2000 calories with no effort. The true effort is not over eating.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I don't eat in a vacuum.......I don't look up from the computer after logging and realize " OMG I only ate 689 calories, how did that come about " ?. It also does not happen that I realize " oh, I ate 3415 calories without realizing how that happened ". Why,? because I plan my food, I know now that a person of my height and age cannot consistently eat more than 1200 calories if they want to lose some weight. And I plan accordingly. Not down to last last calories, but within a 100 or so and that includes for example half a pound of strawberries with cream & sugar. I follow some people who are really successful and who I admire for all they have done to shed weight and become healthy and fit.....and they all plan before hand. No one eats " just because there are calories left " and I agree with you....it's not a good idea.
    I am no one special, possess no special powers and am of average intelligence......and I manage. So what is so difficult for others? That's what I don't understand and the fact that " This is why people can't eat all of their calories " is a blanket statement that does not apply to many if not most people... And I realized right away that the post was in English and understand that part just fine, even though English is my fourth language.......jejeje.

While I agree with some of what you said, the bolded part I disagree with. People who have specific fitness goals find that their performance suffers if they are not eating ALL of their calories. These people do eat more when they have calories left.
    Same here. I eat mostly ad libitum during the day and then at the end of the day if I have more calories left I eat something. (I have never ever pre-planned beyond the meal I'm preparing to eat.)

This happens a lot when I am bulking. Because I get used to eating about 2400 calories a day and suddenly change my goal to add an extra 1000-1500 per day.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem too.... I find eating 1200 easy but every time I do maintentance I end up eating way more, because I try to reach goal with 'healthy' foods (including oils). But then it's not enough, so I end up eating 1 cookie, 2 cookies and then it turns into 20 cookies and I surpass my goal hahaha!!! I have no self-control ):

same with me. I actually just realized that I don't perform well at odd number like 1500 calories or 2000 calories. I always feel restricted and tend to over eat. Strange I know. Then if I just don't think of calories for a day, eat when I feel hungry, by the end of the day, I usually ended up at a better place. But that's just me...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Years ago when I still lived in my home country ( Germany ) I developed a very nasty double sided kidney infection and ended up in the hospital. I was given a beer with lunch and another one with dinner, because beer in moderation supposedly promotes kidney health. I still believe that beer is one of the best medicines around....lol.
    If I had the choice only between commercial juice, soft drinks or beer, I would always chose beer, because it is more nutritious and plain healthier....in moderation of course....:o).

I wonder why, because it makes you pee a lot? That would be important for keeping the kidneys working.
  • kurviekutie
    kurviekutie Posts: 26 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

And if I go and burn a few hundred at the gym like I do four nights a week, I am supposed to replenish those calories I "earned"!?!?!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

What about a frappuchino? Or a frosty? Please tell me frosty's are okay after 9pm!

So long as it's not a milkshake.
    /end thread
    If you jump on a mini-tramp while drinking the milkshake, it negates the syntheticness of the sugars.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

/end thread
    If you jump on a mini-tramp while drinking the milkshake, it negates the syntheticness of the sugars.

Oh dear god.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

/end thread

Okay, this is getting complicated. What if I add raspberry ketones? Can I skip the trampoline?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Beer is no good???

Lol you sound just like my husband, he thinks beer is great for us!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

And if I go and burn a few hundred at the gym like I do four nights a week, I am supposed to replenish those calories I "earned"!?!?!

yes at least some of them...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    and worst of all, sweet tea (the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods) That's where all of the calories went.

You named my arch nemesis disguised as my best friend! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I got sooooo fat over the summer! I was drinking a giant cup of sweet tea everyday! That and my salted caramel lattes! LOL! I have switched to Chai (tea bag not concentrate!) with some homemade creamer~ half n half and agave. I am getting my craving satisfied without loads of sugar or calories!
    So the lesson is that teabagging satisfies cravings?