Why does everyone hate me? The forum Survival Guide.

Options
nikkihk
nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
So, your new here and you think you've found the support group you've been desperately seeking to hold your hand through the difficult months to come. You gingerly click on "Community" and either browse a few topics or get eagerly right to sharing your enthusiasm for the newest Rachel Ray endorsed magic pill or that diet plan you found on the internet that claims eating only chick peas will burn every once of fat on your body in 28 days. Then suddenly... something unexpected happens, a fellow user who you've pre-judged as an brother or sister in weight loss solidarity... disagrees. But not just disagrees mind you, but firmly and without consideration for your feelings makeing sure you are fully aware that your new plan of attack will not only fail? But they won't even listen to your clearly internet researched proof as to why they might just might not be privy to the bandwagon.

Then, much to your surprise.. several more members agree with your nemesis and it becomes an epidemic. If they would only listen to reason right? Clearly, you've been attacked and the only solution is to start a new topic let them all know how disappointed you are in how they've chosen to use the forum.

Does this sound like you? Then pay attention.

Welcome to - How to use the internet (specifically MFP) socially 101.

Lesson One: Realize... You could be wrong.

When more then one person contradicts a "dieting experiment" you bring to the table with logic (ie. Just eating food like a normal person), instead of arguing with them until your feelings are soaked in your own tears? Try listening. They clearly aren't trying to hurt you by helping you enjoy food, in fact they WANT you to succeed much more then the people who refuse to tell you the truth for fear it will hurt your feelings. Fun fact? There is so much more to learn if you approach a public forum with and open mind.

Lesson Two: You can't fight science.

Unless you have a medical condition that alters the way your body processes food? Chances are your composition directly relates to the calories you eat, just like everyone else. You are not the exception to the rule so don't waste a learning experience with self diagnosed mumbo jumbo. That piece of bread is NOT your enemy, stop villainizing it.

Lesson Three: Read more then you type.

One great way to avoid an onslaught of internet meanies is to learn the lay of the land long before you contribute to it. The forum is awash with hundreds of the same five topics. "How do I eat all of my calories?", "Why am I not losing weight?", "Does the Atkins Diet work?". If you take the time to look through the history of what others have pioneered, you will avoid an embarrassing faux pas. Plus, you joined this forum to lose weight which means you have something to learn about the process. If the elder members who HAVE reached their goal provide you advice (with a hug or a glare) shut up and listen. Arguing your point is like telling your doctor even though he's diagnosed you with a cold, you know it's a fever whether or not you have the symptoms to support it.

Lesson Four: Stop searching the internet for a substitute to hard work and responsibility.

If the first thing (or 15th thing) you contribute and defend to your death in a public forum is not sustainable and even dangerous? Realize not only will people disagree but they may even do so with prejudice. When you log in, you forget that you are NOT the only new cookie on the dessert tray. There are dozens of others just like you desperate seeking the magic answer to the weight loss goals they've set for themselves... I mean why else would you be here right? But when you post "solutions" that require rainbow colored pills, quarantining food groups, or drinking your meals like a kid with new braces? You are essentially affecting the health of every new virgin soul that stumbles on your witch doctory. I know you may think you are sharing the word of the gods, and the forum gurus just don't know it yet? But had you learned Lesson Three (see above) you'd realize 25 other people posted the same sorted public service announcement last month, each which also met a rather disagreeable end and for good reason.

And last...

Lesson Five: SURPRISE this is a PUBLIC forum.

I know, crazy right? But it's true!! There are people of all walks of life and varied personalities all inhabiting one little corner of the inter-webs. You know what that means? Different opinions, disagreements, and possibility of a lack of emotion when addressing your situation. Now I know you had hoped everyone here was as sweet as your Grandma Ester, I mean she would never say anything without a hug right? But that's NOT the real world. Other members may certainly identify with your struggle but the connection ends there. Don't expect that every one here is looking way to feel special while they shed pounds. Don't expect that everyone has the same level of decorum as you are sure you possess. And don't assume that opposition means "RUDE" when in most cases it's a clear offer of help short spoken or not.

For the most part, if you just read and learn? The forums are a fun place to grow and find success in your weight loss journey. But when you approach a herd of lions like an Alpha and no mane to support it? You will quickly find yourself in the middle of a feeding frenzy with barely enough room to come up for air. Health and nutrition is a very personal subject for a lot of people so when it becomes overly emotional "hurt butt" is a common result. Just realize that even if the lessons are hard? They are ALL trying to help you achieve LONG TERM success not short term Yo Yo-ing.

Now stop crying and start learning and if you feel the need to sniffle? Go spend an hour reading the comments on Youtube, because you've yet to experience "mean".

Good Luck!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I love it! particularly this:

Stop searching the internet for a substitute to hard work and responsibility.
  • slb609
    slb609 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome. That is all.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    So, your new here and you think you've found the support group you've been desperately seeking to hold your hand through the difficult months to come. You gingerly click on "Community" and either browse a few topics or get eagerly right to sharing your enthusiasm for the newest Rachel Ray endorsed magic pill or that diet plan you found on the internet that claims eating only chick peas will burn every once of fat on your body in 28 days. Then suddenly... something unexpected happens, a fellow user who you've pre-judged as an brother or sister in weight loss solidarity... disagrees. But not just disagrees mind you, but firmly and without consideration for your feelings makeing sure you are fully aware that your new plan of attack will not only fail? But they won't even listen to your clearly internet researched proof as to why they might just might not be privy to the bandwagon.

Then, much to your surprise.. several more members agree with your nemesis and it becomes an epidemic. If they would only listen to reason right? Clearly, you've been attacked and the only solution is to start a new topic let them all know how disappointed you are in how they've chosen to use the forum.

Does this sound like you? Then pay attention.

Welcome to - How to use the internet (specifically MFP) socially 101.

Lesson One: Realize... You could be wrong.

When more then one person contradicts a "dieting experiment" you bring to the table with logic (ie. Just eating food like a normal person), instead of arguing with them until your feelings are soaked in your own tears? Try listening. They clearly aren't trying to hurt you by helping you enjoy food, in fact they WANT you to succeed much more then the people who refuse to tell you the truth for fear it will hurt your feelings. Fun fact? There is so much more to learn if you approach a public forum with and open mind.

Lesson Two: You can't fight science.

Unless you have a medical condition that alters the way your body processes food? Chances are your composition directly relates to the calories you eat, just like everyone else. You are not the exception to the rule so don't waste a learning experience with self diagnosed mumbo jumbo. That piece of bread is NOT your enemy, stop villainizing it.

Lesson Three: Read more then you type.

One great way to avoid an onslaught of internet meanies is to learn the lay of the land long before you contribute to it. The forum is awash with hundreds of the same five topics. "How do I eat all of my calories?", "Why am I not losing weight?", "Does the Atkins Diet work?". If you take the time to look through the history of what others have pioneered, you will avoid an embarrassing faux pas. Plus, you joined this forum to lose weight which means you have something to learn about the process. If the elder members who HAVE reached their goal provide you advice (with a hug or a glare) shut up and listen. Arguing your point is like telling your doctor even though he's diagnosed you with a cold, you know it's a fever whether or not you have the symptoms to support it.

Lesson Four: Stop searching the internet for a substitute to hard work and responsibility.

If the first thing (or 15th thing) you contribute and defend to your death in a public forum is not sustainable and even dangerous? Realize not only will people disagree but they may even do so with prejudice. When you log in, you forget that you are NOT the only new cookie on the dessert tray. There are dozens of others just like you desperate seeking the magic answer to the weight loss goals they've set for themselves... I mean why else would you be here right? But when you post "solutions" that require rainbow colored pills, quarantining food groups, or drinking your meals like a kid with new braces? You are essentially affecting the health of every new virgin soul that stumbles on your witch doctory. I know you may think you are sharing the word of the gods, and the forum gurus just don't know it yet? But had you learned Lesson Three (see above) you'd realize 25 other people posted the same sorted public service announcement last month, each which also met a rather disagreeable end and for good reason.

And last...

Lesson Five: SURPRISE this is a PUBLIC forum.

I know, crazy right? But it's true!! There are people of all walks of life and varied personalities all inhabiting one little corner of the inter-webs. You know what that means? Different opinions, disagreements, and possibility of a lack of emotion when addressing your situation. Now I know you had hoped everyone here was as sweet as your Grandma Ester, I mean she would never say anything without a hug right? But that's NOT the real world. Other members may certainly identify with your struggle but the connection ends there. Don't expect that every one here is looking way to feel special while they shed pounds. Don't expect that everyone has the same level of decorum as you are sure you possess. And don't assume that opposition means "RUDE" when in most cases it's a clear offer of help short spoken or not.

For the most part, if you just read and learn? The forums are a fun place to grow and find success in your weight loss journey. But when you approach a herd of lions like an Alpha and no mane to support it? You will quickly find yourself in the middle of a feeding frenzy with barely enough room to come up for air. Health and nutrition is a very personal subject for a lot of people so when it becomes overly emotional "hurt butt" is a common result. Just realize that even if the lessons are hard? They are ALL trying to help you achieve LONG TERM success not short term Yo Yo-ing.

Now stop crying and start learning and if you feel the need to sniffle? Go spend an hour reading the comments on Youtube, because you've yet to experience "mean".

Good Luck!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

One of the best threads ever. Thank you.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree! Well, said!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I love it! particularly this:

Stop searching the internet for a substitute to hard work and responsibility.

I find www.fitnessfrog.com answers a lot of questions.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Your totally welcome guys... just getting tired of woe is me threads from the person with 5 posts. Get to know a place before you cry wolf.

That is all. =D
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    StDOXOC.gif?1?6313
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Good post - for comfort and cuddles use your mfp friends - tho' still expect some honesty there. No point in asking for encouragement, support and advice if you don't like the advice. Don't have to heed it but don't get upset about it.

ps I have some great, funny and supportive friends on here.
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    Your totally welcome guys... just getting tired of woe is me threads from the person with 5 posts. Get to know a place before you cry wolf.

That is all. =D

WOW
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    love this,
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG - chickpeas are the answer to everything, why won't you just believe me, why ohh why

:drinker:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Geezz, coulda said it less than 10 words no?
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    So, there is a LIKE button, right? :happy:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! You rock.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This thread should be bookmarked to post on all the "why is everyone so MEAN?!" threads that keep cropping up.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG - chickpeas are the answer to everything, why won't you just believe me, why ohh why

:drinker:

because you also need tahini, garlic and lemon juice to make hummus, plus oil to fry the felafels in. That's why. Chickpeas are only the answer to everything after they've been made into hummus and felafels.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Very well written. :) I had a snow day on Wednesday from work (saying snow day in the spring is just so wrong) I spent part of the day searching for posts on here on what people were saying about HRMs and protein shakes. :smile:
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Bumping so my FL can read too
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Should be stickied!

True MFP legend my friend :)

Jay
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It's best top be told blunt honest truth on your diet quest. My husband it great for this. Good honest answers and he will tell me if my bum is big. I admire him for this it shows he is gutsy. If I don't want his opinion if I am feeling like I cannot take it, I don't ask. Better to be with someone who tells you " as it is".
This discussion has been closed.