Men: Oblivious to Flirting.

Options

Replies

• I'm pretty good at picking up on it. I do enjoy it when she flirts back but its even better when they start it!

PS - Hi Mank!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I am also completely oblivious to it mostly because it doesn't happen.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    it rarely to never happens to me, so in the rare case that it does, i am pretty sure im oblivious.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If high school taught me anything, it was that if a pretty girl walks up to you with a smile on her face and starts talking to you, it means there is a table full of her friends about to start rolling in laughter when you are stupid enough to take the bait. Not so much oblivious to flirting, but approach every situation with the understanding that not only is this woman not interested in me, she is out to embarrass and humiliate me. It puts the flirting in perspective, after which it can be dismissed out of hand.
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If high school taught me anything, it was that if a pretty girl walks up to you with a smile on her face and starts talking to you, it means there is a table full of her friends about to start rolling in laughter when you are stupid enough to take the bait. Not so much oblivious to flirting, but approach every situation with the understanding that not only is this woman not interested in me, she is out to embarrass and humiliate me. It puts the flirting in perspective, after which it can be dismissed out of hand.

:-/ thats harsh man
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well there's a right way...

and a wrong way (I think I've been doing it wrong)
    tumblr_n03d0mVad81rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Women don't flirt with me. I'm not oblivious to it, it just doesn't happen. It's been at least a decade and, when it did happen, my two older daughters stepped between the other gal and me.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    she tore out my heart and left it bifurcated, bleeding and lifeless in the hallway outside of metal shop. she even had the nerve to ask for it back and re-affirm all that I had falsely believed the first time. like a fool, I gave it. I wasn't as surprised the second time, but that didn't abate the pain of her evisceration of our relationship.

If a girl walks up biting her lip, with her head slightly tilted and swinging her hips...a black fist of hate reaches up into the bleak chasm in my chest and shields the shreds of the man she left behind. While she is talking to me from only a foot away in her lying breathless voice, we are separated by a gauntlet of fire that her falsity will never allow her to cross. Only 1 person was ever brave enough to cross that gap, and when she made it to the other side, I found her unmarked by the flames. My love for her knows no bounds.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm in the oblivious category. I spent my high school years chasing after one particular girl who happened to be one of my best friends. Years after she friend zoned me, she asked me why I never noticed any of her friends. She told me that they were hitting on me and I was blind. Yep. And I spent a lot of time in hs loathing myself cuz I couldn't get HER attention (and out of the friend zone).

If I could've rechanneled all that wasted energy into something useful... I would've been like Doogie Howser MD (but straight).
  • MrNSMack
    MrNSMack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its not flirting unless we are interested.... otherwise she was just being nice.....
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This girl in HS hit me with a water balloon a couple times in the head at a picnic.
    Years later, one of her friends told me that she was waiting for me to ask her out. It just never happened and she had certainly moved on.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My husband says no one flirts with him, but that's because he's a physicist and works with mostly men and a few older women. He's a cutie, though. I flirt with him. :wink:

By any chance is your husband a physicist?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Admit it, you just clicked because of the blanket statement, didn't you?

Anyway, I was having a conversation with my fiance the other day and he mentioned he never gets flirted with. I pointed out a few prime examples I can think of where he got hit on right in front of me, but he thought they were "just being nice". I've also seen his best friend Jason, who is gay, get hit on by a lot of women, all the time. He is very conventionally handsome and is very "careful not to be flamboyant" as he says. He gets hit on all the time. He doesn't see it either! He can tell when a guy is flirting, but not when a girl is, and agrees that my fiance gets flirted with. Likewise, my fiance agrees that his friend gets flirted with, but they can't see it when it's happening to their own self. :huh:

So, what do you think? Men, are you oblivious until it's pointed out, or do you always know? Anyone else, do you notice your guy friends/spouse getting hit on and they seem to be completely oblivious?

I ask for teh lulz mostly, but also because I have heard women use the blanket statement that men are oblivious...I wouldn't know, so I thought I'd see what the general consensus is, at least among MFP. :cheers:

i'm oblivious even when its pointed out to me. yes i see other men get flirted with daily lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    had a girl ask me out in highschool via a friend.

i was convinced it was some trick and declined lol.
  • SportSpork
    Options
    YES.

My boyfriend has this one friend who has tried flirting with him a couple of times and he just sees it as friendliness.

Men are stupid.
    Have I just met my first troll? How do you know every man is stupid? Who asked you to try them all?
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that we're just misreading social cues? Mistaking friendliness for flirting?
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

That's cruel. Usually girls like that are infamous. So knowing that would be easy to avoid an awkward situation. But if that happens out of the blue and a beautiful girl just happens to approach you at that manner you can easily get into a conversation without humiliating yourself. Living in fear of something might happen isn't a good thing either. Even the smartest people in the world have been fooled at some point in their lives. If that happens to you just laugh it out and get going on your way:drinker:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    here's a little secret girls.. generally, guys know when they are being flirted with. and like you, will also mistake friendliness for flirtation. the "spoken for" guys just play it off so they don't get in trouble with their SO. let's face it, you girls are a little cray. :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband says no one flirts with him, but that's because he's a physicist and works with mostly men and a few older women. He's a cutie, though. I flirt with him. :wink:

By any chance is your husband a physicist?

Har Har.

Yeah, it's a really big part of our lives and of him. It's not just a job. Am I not supposed to talk about him? I suppose I could have said he works with mostly men and a few older women. But, I didn't anticipate it would be an issue.

He also builds giant puppets for theatre shows. Is that better?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Men, are you oblivious until it's pointed out, or do you always know?

Some times, yup.