THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My only issue with the episode had to do with both groups just walking right in to an unknown situation in an enclosed compound. I would keep at least one person on the outside waiting to make sure everything is ok, that way, if your group gets captured, there's someone who knows you're there and can possibly do something about it. That one extra person wouldn't have done any good if they had all been gunned down anyways, but having someone on the outside would be a HUGE help now!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have hated carl from day one...
    my main priority is what happened to Beth!!!!

I never really liked her.. until they set the place on fire. That episode was a game changer!

I've never liked Carl either, but he's been more bearable in the last episodes - however I agree about what happened to BETH? Loved the episode when they burned that place down.

What are you guys talking about, you saw Beth in that episode?

Who do you think was on the grill? :wink:

Spoilers ;)
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao3_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao4_r1_500.gif

Counting down til next season...

Loved it! It's a looooooooong time until October! :(
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It was a great season finale, just wish it could've been at least 2 hours or something!!! I mean... 7 months until the next season... I'm dying here!!! and it's only day 1 on the countdown... *sigh* and to give my opinion on earlier thoughts, I like Beth so much more after her and Daryl's episodes, I mean some of it pissed me off like why endanger yourselves just to find some liquor, that's stupid, but after the episode I ended up liking her more. I loved to see the character development with Daryl, that was my favorite part. Now I just need to know what happened to Beth!! I hope she lives, seemed like her and hillbilly were starting to kind of like each other... bah, so many questions left. Ok, ok, I'm calming down. Sorry for my rant.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    it was a wasted half season in my opinion. just a re-run of the season on Herschel's farm.

i don't need to see angsty character development. i don't need to see survivors CONTINUE to do dumb things like run off into a woods full of zombies with no weapons. i don't need to see pre-teens whining and pouting. i don't need to see 500+ closeups of knives going into zombie skulls every episode. that's what this show gives us.

what i do want to see is practical people working intelligently and quietly to survive the multitude of threats they face in a post-apocalyptic world. this show has rarely delivered that. i'll still watch and maybe the graphic novels don't provide for that either (i don't know, i've never read any of them), but this sure feels an awful lot like every zombie movie i've ever seen - only stretched out over multiple seasons on TV.

there is a reason that there isn't a lot of smart writing on TV... it's because the people in hollywood have contempt for their audience (e.g. the showrunners for Lost). i wish The Walking Dead would stop writing what they think we want (an angsty soap opera set in a zombie context) and would instead give us something intelligent that we can sink our teeth into that has something interesting to show about what it's like to use your brains to survive in a world like this.

*ducks head, waits for incoming*
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My only issue with the episode had to do with both groups just walking right in to an unknown situation in an enclosed compound. I would keep at least one person on the outside waiting to make sure everything is ok, that way, if your group gets captured, there's someone who knows you're there and can possibly do something about it. That one extra person wouldn't have done any good if they had all been gunned down anyways, but having someone on the outside would be a HUGE help now!

^^^Especially since Rick buried the extra weapons and ammo OUTSIDE the compound!

Great episode but I could have done without the flashbacks to the prison, especially the ones of that old biddy hen Herschel.

Glad to see Rick found his cajones. About time he shook Herschel's moralistic stink off of him. I was beginning to think Rick should wear a dress and change his name to Rita! I was cheering when he killed the guy messing with Carl (love Carl's character - there for a while he was more man than Rick!)

Beth who? You mean there was someone else other than Daryl :love: in the episode in which the house burned? Are you SURE? No, I don't think anyone else was there, I might have remembered that, or not.

8gMtuKL.jpg?1
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    it was a wasted half season in my opinion. just a re-run of the season on Herschel's farm.

i don't need to see angsty character development. i don't need to see survivors CONTINUE to do dumb things like run off into a woods full of zombies with no weapons. i don't need to see pre-teens whining and pouting. i don't need to see 500+ closeups of knives going into zombie skulls every episode. that's what this show gives us.

what i do want to see is practical people working intelligently and quietly to survive the multitude of threats they face in a post-apocalyptic world. this show has rarely delivered that. i'll still watch and maybe the graphic novels don't provide for that either (i don't know, i've never read any of them), but this sure feels an awful lot like every zombie movie i've ever seen - only stretched out over multiple seasons on TV.

there is a reason that there isn't a lot of smart writing on TV... it's because the people in hollywood have contempt for their audience (e.g. the showrunners for Lost). i wish The Walking Dead would stop writing what they think we want (an angsty soap opera set in a zombie context) and would instead give us something intelligent that we can sink our teeth into that has something interesting to show about what it's like to use your brains to survive in a world like this.

Have you tried changing the channel?

Yes, lets make the whole show about how to grow crops and basically be a farmer because that is what is truely needed to survive. That should make a good show.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

This. They were forcing the group to go where they wanted them to go.
  • apeacefulway
    Options

^^^ THIS!

I stopped watching the show last season because the writing got so bad. I looked into it a little more and it turns out the show had changed writers for that season. In my opinion, those writers turned the show into an overly talky soap opera and as a viewer it became downright monotonous to watch.

I'm not surprised they changed to new writers again this season. While this season left a lot to be desired, it was still a huge improvement over last season.
  • moosegt35
    Options

^^^ THIS!

I stopped watching the show last season because the writing got so bad. I looked into it a little more and it turns out the show had changed writers for that season. In my opinion, those writers turned the show into an overly talky soap opera and as a viewer it became downright monotonous to watch.

I'm not surprised they changed to new writers again this season. While this season left a lot to be desired, it was still a huge improvement over last season.

You should send in a formal complaint. I am sure they would listen since hardly anyone even watches this awful show.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Yes, lets make the whole show about how to grow crops and basically be a farmer because that is what is truely needed to survive. That should make a good show.

LOl that is what I was thinking...

I mean based on this, you could just have a sitcom where they stay in the prison and call it "post apocalypse friends" or something...

if they just settled down somewhere it would be boring...kind of like when they were on the farm....
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I mean based on this, you could just have a sitcom where they stay in the prison and call it "post apocalypse friends" or something...

if they just settled down somewhere it would be boring...kind of like when they were on the farm....

where did i say "settle down and make wisecracks at each other ala Friends"?

everything bad that has happened to the core group of characters since the first season is the result of bad decisions made by the characters. obviously bad decisions. if i were in a group led by Rick, i would have deserted 3 seasons ago. remember when the showrunners had him walking around barely functional because he was hallucinating about seeing his dead wife? that should have been the tipoff that the guy was a flake.

and if you think that was a fluke, Rick's behavior inside the Terminus compound when he noticed one of them wearing body armor was yet another bad decision. the smart play is to quietly let the other 3 people that they needed to make an excuse to leave the compound without tipping their hand that they knew something was up. instead, he forced the hand of the Terminus folks by pulling his gun and grabbing that one guy. just dumb behavior by a so-called leader in somebody else's territory a mere few minutes after arriving.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The only thing that annoys me is we have to wait til October again.

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Since WD is popular, I'm guessing the writers are correct. There is only so much hacking at the undead that can be crammed into an episode. Watching the survivors going through the angst of a post-Apocalyptic world IS showing us "what it's like to use your brains to survive in a world like this." Also WD is showing us the pitfalls - remember how the walkers found the weakest part of the prison fence and piled on until it came crashing down?

Perhaps, since you are so far above us intellectually, you would prefer

SO1Wo8c.jpg?1

It has subtitles, an unintelligible plot AND many major awards including and Oscar for "Best Foreign Film"

And, btw, the term "pre-teens whining and pouting" is redundant.
  • moosegt35
    Options

where did i say "settle down and make wisecracks at each other ala Friends"?

everything bad that has happened to the core group of characters since the first season is the result of bad decisions made by the characters. obviously bad decisions. if i were in a group led by Rick, i would have deserted 3 seasons ago. remember when the showrunners had him walking around barely functional because he was hallucinating about seeing his dead wife? that should have been the tipoff that the guy was a flake.

and if you think that was a fluke, Rick's behavior inside the Terminus compound when he noticed one of them wearing body armor was yet another bad decision. the smart play is to quietly let the other 3 people that they needed to make an excuse to leave the compound without tipping their hand that they knew something was up. instead, he forced the hand of the Terminus folks by pulling his gun and grabbing that one guy. just dumb behavior by a so-called leader in somebody else's territory a mere few minutes after arriving.

The "dumb" decisions are what causes the action, you just said that. Without the action you have no show, at least not one that people want to watch. What are you wanting, a show where people just walk around making calculated decisions about everything and growing beans and corn to survive while telling camp fire stories?
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

This. They were forcing the group to go where they wanted them to go.

They weren't trying to kill them. Meat goes bad if it's just sitting out.
    tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao3_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao4_r1_500.gif

Counting down til next season...

Also, I would have liked the original line better. "Screwing" doesn't pack enough punch. Stupid tv censorship.
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    That's a great point you guys. I figured the Terminus crew were on the attack after the confrontation in the courtyard, especially since the prison crew still had their weapons in-hand.