THE WALKING DEAD

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have hated carl from day one...
    my main priority is what happened to Beth!!!!

I never really liked her.. until they set the place on fire. That episode was a game changer!

I've never liked Carl either, but he's been more bearable in the last episodes - however I agree about what happened to BETH? Loved the episode when they burned that place down.

What are you guys talking about, you saw Beth in that episode?

Who do you think was on the grill? :wink:

Spoilers ;)

Honestly, I doubt that was Beth. Beth was taken. Terminus is set up to lure people to them. Plus, they have several in holding. They really don't need to go out looking for "food".

Beth was taken by some other group that we will learn about in the fall, I'm sure.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it was a wasted half season in my opinion. just a re-run of the season on Herschel's farm.

i don't need to see angsty character development. i don't need to see survivors CONTINUE to do dumb things like run off into a woods full of zombies with no weapons. i don't need to see pre-teens whining and pouting. i don't need to see 500+ closeups of knives going into zombie skulls every episode. that's what this show gives us.

what i do want to see is practical people working intelligently and quietly to survive the multitude of threats they face in a post-apocalyptic world. this show has rarely delivered that. i'll still watch and maybe the graphic novels don't provide for that either (i don't know, i've never read any of them), but this sure feels an awful lot like every zombie movie i've ever seen - only stretched out over multiple seasons on TV.

there is a reason that there isn't a lot of smart writing on TV... it's because the people in hollywood have contempt for their audience (e.g. the showrunners for Lost). i wish The Walking Dead would stop writing what they think we want (an angsty soap opera set in a zombie context) and would instead give us something intelligent that we can sink our teeth into that has something interesting to show about what it's like to use your brains to survive in a world like this.

*ducks head, waits for incoming*

Have you tried changing the channel?

Yes, lets make the whole show about how to grow crops and basically be a farmer because that is what is truely needed to survive. That should make a good show.

LOl that is what I was thinking...

I mean based on this, you could just have a sitcom where they stay in the prison and call it "post apocalypse friends" or something...

if they just settled down somewhere it would be boring...kind of like when they were on the farm....

where did i say "settle down and make wisecracks at each other ala Friends"?

everything bad that has happened to the core group of characters since the first season is the result of bad decisions made by the characters. obviously bad decisions. if i were in a group led by Rick, i would have deserted 3 seasons ago. remember when the showrunners had him walking around barely functional because he was hallucinating about seeing his dead wife? that should have been the tipoff that the guy was a flake.

and if you think that was a fluke, Rick's behavior inside the Terminus compound when he noticed one of them wearing body armor was yet another bad decision. the smart play is to quietly let the other 3 people that they needed to make an excuse to leave the compound without tipping their hand that they knew something was up. instead, he forced the hand of the Terminus folks by pulling his gun and grabbing that one guy. just dumb behavior by a so-called leader in somebody else's territory a mere few minutes after arriving.

like someone else said, the bad decisions are what lead to the action ...

If Rick makes the "calculated" decision then there is no shoot out at the end and you do not get the "they are screwing with the wrong people line"...

If they just leave "terminus" then what was the point of the whole build up about getting there?

so you are saying that you would of left the prison and struck out on your own in the middle of the zombie apocalypse?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

This. They were forcing the group to go where they wanted them to go.

They weren't trying to kill them. Meat goes bad if it's just sitting out.
    tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao3_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n3aap0rv8s1rkbi4ao4_r1_500.gif

Counting down til next season...

Also, I would have liked the original line better. "Screwing" doesn't pack enough punch. Stupid tv censorship.

huh? "banging with the wrong people" sounds like a drum circle. :huh:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

I never really liked her.. until they set the place on fire. That episode was a game changer!

I've never liked Carl either, but he's been more bearable in the last episodes - however I agree about what happened to BETH? Loved the episode when they burned that place down.

w7iaI5g.png
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I jumped into this show in Season 3 and had to go back to watch season1 and 2 (and never got through all of 2) so Hubby and I ended up watching season 2s finale on Saturday night so I could see that before last nights finale. Here are the reasons I like last night (and this season in general) more. In season 2, Daryl is closed off and only sticks with the group out of sheer necessity, not because he wants to. Carl is a kid who just sticks to his mother the whole time and just seems helpless. Hershel was even more of an *kitten* in my opinion. Rick took ownership of the group because someone had to take the lead and he saw how bad Shane messed up the group. Carol even was still inside her shell. Season 2 had a lot of bloodshed and gore. I like episodes more like last night's finale where it seems like it's "tame". Yes there's blood, but it's not AS GRAPHIC as it used to be and I end up enjoying the show much more without all the graphic violence. Yes I can handle violence, I just don't need blood spraying out like 10 feet.

I really enjoyed the Beth/Daryl angle they played this season. I really hope Beth isn't dead because I want Daryl to stay grounded and "good" down to earth. I really like his character as he is after Beth opened him up a bit, not the guy he was in Season 2. I also love Carol's personality now, which really pisses me off that we didn't get to see what happened to her, Tyreese, and Judith.

Absolutely loved the way they did the flashbacks. I think it helped to remind us (the viewers) the fact that Glenn was given Hershels watch because that was the first TRUE sign for Rick to notice something was up with their group members..

I also just loved Rick this episode. I've never thought of him as a "bad" character, nor have I ever hated him. I think he has done the best he can with what he's got. He woke up to this and was alone when he woke. No one could really explain what was happening, he went into a panic thinking of his wife and Carl, and when he eventually catches up to his wife, he basically finds her in love with his best friend.. then once his friend starts trying to kill him, he does what is neccessary and then his wife gets upset over that. then the fact she's pregnant and it may not be his baby, then she dies giving birth to this baby.. I mean thats a lot to take on over the fact the world went to hell.
    My favorite line in the episode is when Rick told Daryl "you're my brother". I think that just shows how accepted Daryl really is, and that this is where Daryl belongs.

And I don't really feel like it's a cliffhanger. I mean it is, but it doesn't feel that way to me. In season 2s finale it wasn't much of a cliffhanger either. Rick delivered the line "this isn't a democracy anymore" and then the camera panned out and it showed the prison. This ended basically the same to me, and now we wait til October to find out what happened to beth, carol, tyreese, and judith, plus to see the battle between Rick's gang and Terminus.. I think the battle will be great since they got Michonne and Daryl with them. I know they have no weapons, but it shouldn't take too long for them to disarm a few of the terminus guys and steal their guns...

Also, it took a while for me to get why Rick Carl Michonne and Daryl weren't actually getting shot by the terminus snipers. My husband actually pointed out that they were trying to trap them. Then it made sense. LOL
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Who had Hershel's pocket watch, Maggie or Beth? If it was Beth, she's definitely been there.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The only thing that annoys me is we have to wait til October again.
    I agree with this........I loved the episode and understood every part of it.....

Me too. Flashbacks were just adding on to the character development. How they changed living in a somewhat safe place to being back out on the road fighting for survival and how much different it was from the last time they were out on the road.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Who had Hershel's pocket watch, Maggie or Beth? If it was Beth, she's definitely been there.

Glenn had it I believe...
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Neither.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Neither, he gave it to Glenn
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Am I the only one that was utterly annoyed by the prison flashbacks in the finale? Seemed like they wasted so much time on that.

I loved it. This entire season is about diving deeper into the characters. So far every character has gotten their own episode to get inside their heads better and see how they've grown. We get so much of crazy rick that sometimes you forget all he went through and who he really is. Plus it was lovely to see Hershel again. Who can be annoyed about seeing more Hershel?

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a little disappointed by the finale and I knew I would be. I think they build the fans up for this big exciting season finale each season and it just doesn't deliver. They'd rather leave us in a huge cliffhanger that resolves in the following season.

BTW - Terminus has some of the worst snipers I've ever seen. LOL. Those scenes were hilarious.

Could it be because they weren't trying to kill them? Hard to shoot someone full of holes and keep them alive.

Also, I would have liked the original line better. "Screwing" doesn't pack enough punch. Stupid tv censorship.

on talking dead they said that they shot an alternate scene where he says "F'ing with the wrong people" but they could not air that because of FCC and time slot they are in ...
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

THIS^^..... The Hunters are a cannibalistic group, so they weren't trying to kill them. They were guiding them to where they wanted to be, so they could surround them and force them in to containment.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Neither, he gave it to Glenn
    Yup they even reminded us of that at the beginning of the episode when H said something about ever since giving Glenn his watch, everything is right now.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

on talking dead they said that they shot an alternate scene where he says "F'ing with the wrong people" but they could not air that because of FCC and time slot they are in ...

to me that's weird because a few episodes back they showed Beth and Daryl giving middle fingers to the house on fire and that means essentially the same thing. lol.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG...it was sooo intense!! Im upset that we didnt see Beth. I NEED to know who has her. I knew Terminus was bad bad bad. I actually live pretty close to where its filmed. My in laws next door neighbor works on the set. My son actually has eaten food from the prison garden which is way cool lol.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

The whole Hershel bit was really annoying. It felt like a memorial to Hershel instead of a finale, which I feel was totally unnecessary. Hershel was important, and Hershel is dead, and everyone has been talking about his death for the last half of the season anyway.

Also, we all know that Hershel was Rick's Obi-Wan. We didn't need half the finale to show us that. We also know that Rick is "sensitive" and grounded at times. Most of the fans have been complaining about how him being TOO grounded and sensitive for most of the show. It just felt like the writers were treating the audience like idiots instead of really pushing the story and character development forward like they could have. There was only maybe 20 minutes of actual finale between the commercials and the flashbacks.

On the Talking Dead, the writer actually stated that they had done that because they wanted to make a comparison to the way that Rick was and the man that he is becoming. And at one point, they had interviewed Norman Reedus and he had stated that the characters really can't go back to being the people that they were. I think that was the purpose of those scenes. Just to show the audience that we are about to see another evolution of Rick, one I think the fans are going to find more palatable than earlier versions.

To the person that doesn't like the show because the characters make mistakes. The reality is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, and we have to learn from those mistakes and carry on. The show would not be realistic at all if the characters were making smart decisions all of the time. Rick has made his mistakes, even when he wasn't realizing it (like taking Hershel's advice and settling in to life at the prison), and now he has learned from them. Moving forward into next season, we will see probably the most powerful, calculating, and controlled Rick than ever before.

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Spoilers ;)

Honestly, I doubt that was Beth. Beth was taken. Terminus is set up to lure people to them. Plus, they have several in holding. They really don't need to go out looking for "food".

Beth was taken by some other group that we will learn about in the fall, I'm sure.

"There's a new sheriff in town" (Rick to Beth when he puts the sheriff hat on her in the final flashback)

Beth's definitely going all badass next season. That line just screams foreshadowing.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

but we've already seen these scenes in previous episodes and seasons. it seems like they are covering old ground regarding Rick's "transformation". we get it. when he killed Shane. when his wife died. when Herschel died. again and again we've been subjected to the showrunners heavyhanded and hamfisted writing in this regard.

Actually most of the "flashbacks" weren't showed in the earlier seasons. Again, you should write a formal complaint, this show is getitng so bad people aren't even watching it anymore. Oh.....wait.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

to me that's weird because a few episodes back they showed Beth and Daryl giving middle fingers to the house on fire and that means essentially the same thing. lol.

I have no idea how it works but I imagine the fines are less for gestures than for outright swear words.