Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Here's results for the Mother's Day Run and Walk where I live.

http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResults.xhtml?racecode=104370

So 20min 5K run is quite good.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I finished 4th in my division (age/gender) with a 20min mile. So pretty impressive for most in my opinion.

This thread is so weird.

oops. My mind is so weird. I should have said 20 min 5k. :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    just for reference. The Carlesbad 5000, the "fastest 5k" as it is billed was run yesterday. People from all over the world come to race. The elite mens winner from Kenya ran a 13:13 The elite womens was 15:06. The masters men (40+) was 15:19 and the masters women was 19:55 I dont know where some of you people run, but you run with some pretty elite runners. A 20 minute 5k for a woman who is not a professional runner is elite.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled to pieces if I ran a 20 minute 5k. But in my two years of running (after completing the c25k program), my average 5k is around 30 minutes. My personal best was around 26 minutes, but I'm still not convinced that my Nike app wasn't just a bit off that day. :tongue:

So to me, yeah, a 20 minute 5k time for a brand new runner is dang impressive.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Based on my personal experience, you can't compare what you do on an elliptical to actually running. I can easily hammer out 45 minutes on the elliptical at mid resistance, and keep a fairly good pace for the whole time (I can't tell you how many km's cause my screen is broken). I am also doing 10K trainer (outside) and this week, I'm on week 4 so I will be doing my first 5 minute run and let's just say... it won't be pretty; I'll dragging my butt and gasping for breath by the end of those 5 minutes. So, no, not even close to the same.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    just for reference. The Carlesbad 5000, the "fastest 5k" as it is billed was run yesterday. People from all over the world come to race. The elite mens winner from Kenya ran a 13:13 The elite womens was 15:06. The masters men (40+) was 15:19 and the masters women was 19:55 I dont know where some of you people run, but you run with some pretty elite runners. A 20 minute 5k for a woman who is not a professional runner is elite.

This brings me back to the Wormhole Theory of MFP. My suspicion is that the application spans across dimensions where the laws of thermodynamics and the constraints of the human body are entirely different.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Well, one of the women I run (I use that phrase loosely) with did place 5th in her age group in the World Championship Ironman in Kona, plus won her age group in the World Sprint distance. Not a pro runner. She would be a master runner.
    Another sub 20er is a a high school track athlete and is placing in the top but not necessarily first.
    The other two or 3 are just regular runners, very good runners, never been pro. I've always considered them awesome, just not elite.
    As I said, I'm in a very small area. These are races with often less than 100 participants.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

19:55 is not really world class for Masters woman. 16:30 to 17:00 is world class for that group.
  • prattiger65
    Options

19:55 is not really world class for Masters woman. 16:30 to 17:00 is world class for that group.

Maybe so. But if that's the case, there were no world class runners there because 19:55 won it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is this still being debated?

If you have a shoe sponsor, 20 minutes is pretty dismal.

If you don't have a shoe sponsor, 20 minutes is pretty cool.

It doesn't really translate if you're doing it on an elliptical.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Maybe so. But if that's the case, there were no world class runners there because 19:55 won it.

According to the race results site the masters women winner ran a 17:08 and the top 10 masters women were under 19 minutes.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

According to the race results site the masters women winner ran a 17:08 and the top 10 masters women were under 19 minutes.
    That's more in line with the other finish times.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Yep, I was wrong. Funnier, I can't even find where I got that number. Elite times were correct, the others completely wrong. Go figure.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was wrong. Funnier, I can't even find where I got that number. Elite times were correct, the others completely wrong. Go figure.

Power of crowds :)