Is butter the devil?

Options

Replies

• ElegantElle
    ElegantElle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think excess is the devil. I miss being able to stuff my face til my stomach was at the bursting point then going to pass out somewhere in the warm sun. Unfortunately too much of that is why I am where I am just have to remember to stop when I'm no longer hungry not when I'm full
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    In determining the relative merits of butter I would use a logical methodology as demonstrated in the following:
    Sir Bedevere: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
    Peasant 1: Are there? Oh well, tell us.
    Sir Bedevere: Tell me. What do you do with witches?
    Peasant 1: Burn them.
    Sir Bedevere: And what do you burn, apart from witches?
    Peasant 1: More witches.
    Peasant 2: Wood.
    Sir Bedevere: Good. Now, why do witches burn?
    Peasant 3: ...because they're made of... wood?
    Sir Bedevere: Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?
    Peasant 1: Build a bridge out of her.
    Sir Bedevere: But can you not also build bridges out of stone?
    Peasant 1: Oh yeah.
    Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?
    Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!
    Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?
    Peasant 1: Bread.
    Peasant 2: Apples.
    Peasant 3: Very small rocks.
    Peasant 1: Cider.
    Peasant 2: Gravy.
    Peasant 3: Cherries.
    Peasant 1: Mud.
    Peasant 2: Churches.
    Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!
    King Arthur: A Duck.
    Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
    Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.
    Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
    Peasant 2: ...A witch!

Thank you for this.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    totally devoid of nutritional value and does nothing to help me feel full.

dafuq?

Putting butter on pasta or bread doesn't do anything to sate my hunger, so why waste calories on it?

Fine, it doesn't do anything to satiate you; that doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Please don't try to toute butter like it's some sort of health food....

there's a huge spectrum between "health food" and "devoid of nutritional value"

devoid of nutritional value means something has no nutrients in it at all. Butter clearly does have nutrients in it, and quite a lot of them. Because you personally don't find any value in eating it doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Ok then to clarify, it is devoid of any nutrients I need in MY diet.

Oh, sorry, didn't know we were discussing only what you consider valuable nutrients. Thanks for clarifying.

21b98k7.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    30mmkhw.jpg
    znx3yp.jpg
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I notice something very peculiar about this site. The minute someone says that he/she doesn't like a certain food and would not incorporate it into his/her diet because of X, this person gets viciously attacked. I once commented on the dangers of consuming too much salt/sodium and you could have sworn I wrote that I was an Al-Quaeda sympathizer. People ambushed me from all directions. Is your love of a certain food so important that you feel the need to be down right rude to another person? I'm just curious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I use butter when butter is called for...I also cook with a fair bit of olive oil (my primary cooking oil) as well as avocado oil (for high heat applications) and coconut oil. I get around 0.3 - 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of my body weight from fat as is recommended for proper nutrition...part of those grams come from the oils mentioned above, including butter. i also eat a lot of nuts and avocados and enjoy a good marbled steak from time to time...and chicken skin.

Fat is an essential macro-nutrient and should be included in your diet in appropriate amounts...I'm not scared of butter in the least and I used to have high cholesterol...I no longer do and still eat butter and numerous other foods that include dietary cholesterol. Your doctor needs to get with the 21st century there OP...dietary cholesterol has very little bearing on blood serum levels as most of it cannot be absorbed (because most dietary cholesterol is esterefied)...in fact, studies indicating that cutting dietary cholesterol actually results in your liver producing more cholesterol which is then absorbed and leads to higher blood serum levels. Also, when hereditary factors are involved, there's often not a whole lot you can do about anything...that's where I'm at with my hypertension.

I'd personally suggest just eating a balanced diet consisting of a lot of nutrition and then rocking your fitness.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I notice something very peculiar about this site. The minute someone says that he/she doesn't like a certain food and would not incorporate it into his/her diet because of X, this person gets viciously attacked. I once commented on the dangers of consuming too much salt/sodium and you could have sworn I wrote that I was an Al-Quaeda sympathizer. People ambushed me from all directions. Is your love of a certain food so important that you feel the need to be down right rude to another person? I'm just curious.

correcting someone's incorrect usage of the phrase "devoid of nutritional value" =/= being viciously attacked

butter is not devoid of all nutritional value, that is a fact. All the replies to her post were correcting her, and saying that butter does, in fact, contain some nutrients. Turns out she didn't actually mean "devoid of nutritional value" - which she clarified after the meaning of the phrase was pointed out to her. What she meant was that she could get all the nutrients in butter from other foods and doesn't want to "spend" 100 calories on butter. After which I stopped replying because there's nothing wrong with not eating butter because you personally don't want to "spend" your calories on it. However saying "butter is devoid of nutritional value" is factually incorrect.

And if you consider having your facts corrected to equal being viciously attacked, then you're going to have a hard time.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    recently I have been using a palm oil based margerine spread (parkay no-hydrodgenated oil says on the tub). If butter is out of fashion then margarine is SERIOUSLY out of style. (its a point away from plastic! Its a natural insectside! Cancer!) I like that it is spreadable from the fridge and frequently on sale. Now that the trans fats are gone, I feel okay about eating it.

I give my children butter because they are young and slim, and could probably use the extra cals!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I love butter on almost everything, I wont give it up.. never I say!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr2fWQnosxeDktjlGk0NQG50gieN1AHgVl_B3ZdCy0UggpSKfE
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgLrbyBFUv9gRP4aOMOBDWxO4VLbqRgd4WoFxGt1UB0vi5pcQuig
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Saying you don't want something in your diet is different than saying it's dangerous and people shouldn't eat it. So let's say you don't want to eat something and you explain why by citing scientific studies showing links between the maligned food item and scary fatal illness.... I think that's going to get a reaction because : (1) modest consumption of even unhealthy foods won't kill you, and (2) we have seen so many people jump on so many (raw, low carb, 811, vegan, gluten free, low glycemic, paleo, blood type, macrobiotic....) bandwagons for the wrong reasons and seen them (or us) fall off and be worse. For this reason, many of is who have successfully lost and maintained lower weights and healthier habits want to spread the joy of finding Jesus! (Jesus being the fact that you can be healthy without giving up foods you love!)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    According to another thread, Dr. Oz is the devil, so i guess butter gets a pass today, though i still don't eat it.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love butter. Its totally natural and has been an important part of the human diet for 1000s of years without killing us. How can something that comes straight out of a cow with minimal processing can't be bad for you? I can totally understand people not wanting to "waste" calories on having butter as part of their daily diet but I wonder if these same people are then having donuts, pizza, ice cream or whatever instead. From a health point of view butter is better.
  • Jodi2101
    Jodi2101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil has a low smoke point so not really suitable for high heat cooking like frying.

Coconut Oil has a high smoke point although it can add a coconutty flavour to the food which may not be to your liking.

Possibly you could use Ghee? It is clarified butter. It has a a higher smoke point than regular butter but adds the same flavour to foods when cooking. I don't think it will increase your cholesterol but I'm not a doctor.

I think a nutritionist would be your best help though! These are just the tips I got from my one!
  • LAPDpoliceNYPD
    LAPDpoliceNYPD Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If butter is wrong, I don't want to be right!

amen.gif
    true that
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I haven't seen anything from anyone in this thread that approaches being "viciously attacked", in fact the discourse has struck me as quite civil. Disagreement yes, downright rude no. I'll have to find the thread you allude to.....
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

But high fat diets discourage the intake of carbs including fruits and veggies. Not to mention that a typical overweight or obese person taken in about 40-60% of their calories from fat, which is excessive. All the macro nutrients should be eaten in moderation.

1) I'm eating more fruit and veg now than I did prior to my "excessive" 75% intake of animal fats.
    2) This "excessive" 75% intake of animal fats has helped me lose 10lbs a month, kill my junk food addictions, eliminated my need for a multi-vitamin, and makes me eat way less food than I did before.
    3) Macro nutrients should be adjusted to each individuals physiological needs.

Unless you have PhD's coming out of your @ss and are a prominent researcher at a prominent University/lab you would do better to not pretend you are the end all and be all of nutritional/dieting advice. You are not the god of nutrition. Just because you don't like butter and you do best with macro's level across the board does not mean everyone else is (or should be) just like you. Get off your damn plaster pedestal.

I love butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation OP ..

I like some butter on my toast/bagel etc…

I use olive oil to cook my eggs, veggies, etc in ..
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

dafuq?

Putting butter on pasta or bread doesn't do anything to sate my hunger, so why waste calories on it?

Fine, it doesn't do anything to satiate you; that doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Saturated animal fats are good for you, including butter. Don't try to pretend differently.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    get a new dr. one who knows things. like reality.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

dafuq?

Saturated animal fats are good for you, including butter. Don't try to pretend differently.

I love how the ppl who nay-say butter use man-made oils like margarine and canola and........ these ppl need to get a reality check if they believe animal fats are so unhealthy yet man-made oils are so healthy. The research is out there.