Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Nope. Butter is God.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Those of you who avoid animal products for ethical reasons, just say so. Sheesh!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Saturated animal fats are good for you, including butter. Don't try to pretend differently.
    Simply not true. This is a dangerous message.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I notice something very peculiar about this site. The minute someone says that he/she doesn't like a certain food and would not incorporate it into his/her diet because of X, this person gets viciously attacked. I once commented on the dangers of consuming too much salt/sodium and you could have sworn I wrote that I was an Al-Quaeda sympathizer. People ambushed me from all directions. Is your love of a certain food so important that you feel the need to be down right rude to another person? I'm just curious.

Everytime-i-see-an-ama-for-someone-awesome-then-realize-it-was-only-an-ama-request-gif.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Saturated animal fats are good for you, including butter. Don't try to pretend differently.

brit3j.gif
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

brit3j.gif

^^^Best gif ever.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true...............your basic message is what's dangerous......and quite obvious to just about everyone here that actually embraces and understands science as opposed to the propaganda websites that seem to be your voice.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i was under the impression that children under age 2 need saturated fat, from breast milk or cows milk, to ensure brain development.

kids in general need more fat than adults, and my children do drink whole milk and eat full fat dairy products. Both my children are slim, and very physically active. I limit sugary treats, but I dont think their fat intake is hurting them.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Butter is just completely unnecessary. Whatever minerals are in butter can be found in a healthy balanced diet with no need for a calorie laden spread.

Oh... I don't eat it for its minerals. I don't say, "that's some fine potassium there!" I say, "Yummy stuff, get in my belly!"

cc5245a0298a5b4616daffe03752e150a76c4a7236f6383302101f345c7b9a1f.jpg
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/butter-was-back-but-now-maybe-not-1555374545

I avoid butter because I have hereditary high cholesterol, and my doctor said "NO MORE BUTTER!!". Now I only use olive oil for cooking. (I'm sure there's butter in the stuff I eat, but I don't have buttered bread or whatnot anymore.)

What are your opinions?
    I agree with your dr. If you have the genetic condition familial hypercholesterolaemia you should avoid butter.

Eta. OP, have you checked out the advice from the Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Foundation site? http://thefhfoundation.org/treatments/diet-lifestyle-tips/
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    How can butter be the devil - it's packed full of saturated fat.

If we didn't eat butter - how could we possibly cook mushrooms or carrots.

Butter - all the way!!!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I avoid butter because I have hereditary high cholesterol, and my doctor said "NO MORE BUTTER!!". Now I only use olive oil for cooking. (I'm sure there's butter in the stuff I eat, but I don't have buttered bread or whatnot anymore.)

What are your opinions?

Fat is healthy as long as it is healthy fat! Grass fed butter is what you should be eating.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I love how the ppl who nay-say butter use man-made oils like margarine and canola and........

Canola (rapeseed) is not a man made oil. It comes from a plant, related to mustard. Pretty yellow flowers.

Margarine has more claim to being man made. I still think it probably won't kill you.

I love butter. I eat it because I love it. I buy it because it's cheap. I whisk it with oil to make it spreadable from the fridge. It's easy to fit into your calories if you don't slap it on like plaster. Personal preference wins the day.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What are your opinions?

Fat is healthy as long as it is healthy fat! Grass fed butter is what you should be eating.

Grass fed is ideal, however if you can only get grain fed then it is still a better option than cooking oils like veg oil or sunflower oil and certainly a better option than margarine.

Plus it tastes soooo much better.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    it is still a better option than cooking oils like veg oil or sunflower oil and certainly a better option than margarine.

Depends what you mean. There's a slight calorific difference (butter is about 80% fat, oils are 100%) but it's not that noticeable, and there aren't that many situations where butter and oil are interchangeable. You can't use butter for high-temp frying; even low-temp you usually have to add a bit of oil to stop it burning. And you wouldn't spread vegetable oil on your toast (I assume). In baking you usually can't interchange them, you have to use a different recipe.

The only place I can think of where you'd actually swap them is in a recipe like bread, where the total fat content is so low it will make almost no difference.

Horses for courses.

eta I suppose you can switch oil with clarified butter (ghee) in frying, but there's no calorie difference there as all the water has been removed from the butter when it was clarified. It's just a question of flavour.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    it is still a better option than cooking oils like veg oil or sunflower oil and certainly a better option than margarine.

Depends what you mean. There's a slight calorific difference (butter is about 80% fat, oils are 100%) but it's not that noticeable, and there aren't that many situations where butter and oil are interchangeable. You can't use butter for high-temp frying; even low-temp you usually have to add a bit of oil to stop it burning. And you wouldn't spread vegetable oil on your toast (I assume). In baking you usually can't interchange them, you have to use a different recipe.

The only place I can think of where you'd actually swap them is in a recipe like bread, where the total fat content is so low it will make almost no difference.

Horses for courses.

eta I suppose you can switch oil with clarified butter (ghee) in frying, but there's no calorie difference there as all the water has been removed from the butter when it was clarified. It's just a question of flavour.

I would normally swap out margarine for butter - when putting on stuff like toast.

For cooking I always use it for most of my veg (carrots, mushrooms, sprouts). Agreed that when used for frying it is not ideal which is why I swap out my veg oil for olive oil.

I will use butter for frying though when I an making omelettes.

Also when I cook thick steaks I will sometimes score each side an place a bit of butter in the score.

Also melted butter is great on popcorn.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    I love how the ppl who nay-say butter use man-made oils like margarine and canola and........

Canola (rapeseed) is not a man made oil. It comes from a plant, related to mustard. Pretty yellow flowers.
    Yes it's a plant but without human intervention canola oil would never exist considering it's origins and then bred ot reduce the erucic acid content. Unfortunately refined canola contains trans fats from the deodorizing process....I opt out of most refined oil, including this one.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your Dr didn't tell you that some people will have high cholesterol despite a healthy lifestyle and "proper" food choices. It CAN be genetic. I know it runs in my moms family. For example she changed her died a lot, dropped her cholesterol but not enough, and even the Dr told her she had done everything she could, the rest was genetics. She was put on meds to lower it more.

and I'm not writing that to say "hey eat all the things and to hell with it just take a pill" It's just that it is possible that genetics are playing a role in higher cholesterol levels
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    yes! to people who support high fat diets with saturated fats
    saturated fats are healthy
    if you do your research
    the devil is actually margarine and poliunsaturated fats expecially if heated

in the morning i have my coffe no sugar blended with 40 grams of butter and i feel like a champ!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Butter good!

No Butter bad!

Eat butter!