Those Annoying Little Comments

Options

Replies

• LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You do MFP/Slimming world? Thats just for women right???

NO :)
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My dad seems to find it hard to accept that I'm like a million times fitter now than I was when I started my weight loss journey last January. I work out pretty hard now (and love it), but every time he asks me what I've been doing exercise-wise recently, and I tell him, he seems horrified. His favourite phrases are, "you're over-doing it" or "those workouts are meant for athletes, not normal people - you shoudn't be doing that - you'll hurt yourself". For the record, the workouts I enjoy (TurboFire, lifting weights, Les Mills Pump/Combat, Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, etc) are for anybody with a desire to improve their fitness. And I've been injury free for over eight months, so I can't be doing too badly!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have coworkers who tell me it's "not fair" that I have the body I have in relation to themselves.

Like "it's not FAIR that your thighs are HALF the size of mine. *hmmph*"

I feel like saying "it's not FAIR you get to go home after work and I have to go to the gym and bust my *kitten* to look like this, and I still have 15ish lbs to lose."

But I just say "thanks" or whatever. :flowerforyou:

I do have small legs/hips and have since I was fat. When they tell me it's not fair that I have a tiny waist or it's not fair that I don't have bra bulge... I won't be annoyed, I'll be ecstatic.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I find it absolutely infuriating that anyone should have to justify being healthy! Overweight or lazy people will criticise healthy people to no end and no on bats an eye but if a healthy person turned and said "maybe you should get off your fat *kitten* and start looking after yourself" everyone would go crazy.

I keep hearing this on this website and I have no idea where the people that say it live, but where I live, there are no fat "arses" shaming people about being healthy. Regardless, the world would be a better place if everyone STFU.

London. Because I get it pretty much all the time at work. "you need to put on a few pounds/eat a burger/get some curves". I have never replied with "well perhaps YOU need to put down that cake and mind your own business" because THAT would be considered rude! I need to move to where you live :laugh:
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I may or may not have flipped out on my coworkers last week....

It just got old because every morning we eat breakfast together, and I just really like eggs. They keep me full. But, every morning I hear some rude *kitten* comment about what I am eating and I couldn't take it anymore. I said "You know, it's bullsh*t that none of you guys said ANYTHING when I was stuffing my face with two egg mcmuffins, a hashbrown, and an orange juice. Yet, you want to say something now that I am doing something good for myself? How does that work? It isn't funny, or helpful, or cute. Stop. For the love of god, stop."

Now they're back to calling me Iron Chef. I think I made a point.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    "You're cold all the time because you're skinny," is the one I hear constantly from my boyfriend, roommates, coworkers...dude. I was cold all the time when I was 25 lbs heavier. I'm just cold. Sorry seeing me all bundled up makes you feel like you need to comment constantly.

It's such a stupid thing but it's like every day from someone. I'm just a cold person! I have bad circulation!

Me too! Hubby tells me I "need a bit meat on my bones". I've always been cold......

Tell your husban that all women are cold. That's so we can suck the heat out of our guys.

My boyfriend jokingly says "oh nose! she's sucking the warmth from my marrow!" when I have especially cold hands or feet. And I say "yes! so warm!" and find a new warmer place to apply my cold hands. And if I'm having a guilty day when he makes the joke and pull away, he says "No get back here" and presses my hands to his chest. He's a keeper!:love:
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    "God, eat a cheeseburger or something." "Are you sure you need to workout? It's not like you have to do it everyday." "... You've hit your weight, why are you still worrying about calories? It's just a [insert whatever food here]!"

So many of them so little time.

I was trying to buy a skirt and asked the sales lady if they had the next size down, and she said, "No. Why don't you go eat a cheeseburger or something. Then, the skirt will fit just fine." Really?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    "Lose weight or you're fired. No one will tell you this but no one trusts fat people"

WHAT THE ACTUAL F#*K? Did someone actually tell you this!!?!

This should be harassment at the very least. I am amazed by the ignorance of people, shouldn't be but I am.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't know. When I was at my fittest I was finally able to go up to one of my co-workers and apologize. I used to tell her things like she was a party pooper cause she didn't go all out during office birthday celebrations and how I couldn't understand why she'd go to the gym so early every day before work. I didn't get it, but now I do. When people make those same comments to me saying I'm "allowed" to eat that because I'm "skinny" I tell them it's just preventative maintenance. I've got better things to be pissy about :wink:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1) "Hey, there, Skinny Minnie!" a) My name is not Minnie b) skinny is not a complement. Fit, thinner, healthy/healthier - those are complements. Skinny says you are jealous

OMG, I HATE THIS!!! My neighbor can't just just say Hi, she calls me skinny minnie, even though I've asked her not to a hundred times. She also threatens to come workout with me (I workout at home) and of course never does (thank goodness)

aaaaahhhhh yes, count me in. I HATE being called "skinny Minnie" it feels super condescending and wretched to me. My mom and uncles/aunts get away with this as they are 60+ but ugh, it's obnoxious. I am 5'8" and 189 lb I am not skinny or "mini" nor do I want to be a small person (because I'm NOT), I just want to be leaner and healthier.
  • kittyrevealed
    kittyrevealed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When they look at me incredulously because I say I can't hang out because I am going to the gym. I'm a *really* fat chick. Yep. It's true. However, I am working out and might even be able to lap you or just plain go further / longer on the track because I am getting fitter, not skinnier. ;)

When thinner people tell me that they are too fat to work out and I weigh over 300 lbs..

When people look at me cross-eyed because I tell them I am going to run a 5k in October 2014. I may not run the whole thing, but I *will* finish it.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this thread, see an over abundance of women. Seems to me women get pretty riled up and annoyed too easily. Quit worrying about what other people say and do things for yourself. Be yourself! All the other things will follow.
  • narfy88
    narfy88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my number one pet peeve is when SKINNY GIRLS complain about being "FAT." I know that no one is ever 100% happy with their bodies. but i hate it when i'm sitting there, the heaviest one in the room, and the girls i work with are all talking about going shopping for bathing suits and complaining about how their bikinis don't fit just right. When I've only worn a bikini once in my life and probably never will again. Or when they pull at their microscopic tummy 'roll' and complain about how its getting to look like a 'baby bump.' Those girls have never known the struggle of what it is to shop in only plus sized stores/sections, only be able to wear one piece swimsuits, or how it feels to be the one thats sitting there listening about how they've gained so much weight since high school when theyre still a size 2.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

YES, AND DOES NOT APPEAR OVER NIGHT 10 LB AT A TIME.

"Calories in Vs Calories out"

EXCEPT THAT I'VE EATEN BELOW TDEE FOR WEEKS WITH NO SCALE MOVEMENT

Hopefully you aren't referring to recent weeks.... :huh:
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    HER: I went back on my diet last week and lost 7 lbs. I'm freakin' starving.
    ME: I went back to counting calories two weeks ago and lost 2.5 lbs. I'll take it.
    HER: how did you lose THAT when you went to Five Guys Burgers??!!
    ME: I'm not denying myself anything. I do it all in moderation. I'm okay with the 2.5 loss.
    HER: Well maybe you shouldnt do Five Guys and you would have lost more.
    ME: Maybe, maybe not, but I'm happy with my splurge. Besides, it was just one splurge in two weeks.

UMM *kitten* OFF?! AND i hate that i felt the need to justify myself!!

Yes!! It's sad that people think that you have to eat lettuce and celery all day when you are trying to lose weight and be healthy. So when you do eat "bad" food, people have to make a big deal out of it. Moderation really is the key to weight loss, but most importantly, to maintenance of weight loss and adherence to a healthy lifestyle.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    There will always be haters; mostly, I think it's people's way of dealing with their own jealousy and failure to make an effort to change their lifestyle and body.

^^^^ THIS
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well actually two things are annoying. One is when despite having lost 118 pounds no one comments at all and the second is when someone notices you've lost weight and asks how much you weigh currently. After giving a truthful answer then the comment is, " Oh, well I weigh 125 and I'm the same height, so let's see, you still need to lose what...100 pounds?" This has happened to me or a similar conversation twice now. I'd be in heaven if I ever make it to 175!

That is because of the stories you will find in this very thread. Many people are (rightfully) terrified to comment at all on someone else's weight because of the veritable minefield that can be.

It's like when I see a pregnant woman...unless I see an actual protruding baby body part, or she specifically says to me "I am pregnant", I will *not* even hint at the possibility of her being pregnant. Nope. Not going to make that mistake...

...a third time.

So anyhow, congrats on your weight loss.
  • CalistaBruno
    CalistaBruno Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "You're cold all the time because you're skinny," is the one I hear constantly from my boyfriend, roommates, coworkers...dude. I was cold all the time when I was 25 lbs heavier. I'm just cold. Sorry seeing me all bundled up makes you feel like you need to comment constantly.

It's such a stupid thing but it's like every day from someone. I'm just a cold person! I have bad circulation!

Oh my god, that happens to me too! I had a coworker tell me that a couple of years ago! Well, I gained 30 lbs, had a bunch of thyroid issues, and am STILL cold.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have a great support network and I have trained my mom that I am not on a diet and can eat anything I want but that I watch my protein, fat, and carbs. I come from a meat and potatoes family and carbs run rampant.

But what bugs me is when a couple people tell me how great I'm doing and then say how fat they are and how they need to do something. I'm still overweight and have a long way to go because I'm not really in a hurry and want to keep my lean body mass or as much as I can but I don't understand the comparison.

And one friend said to me last weekend when I squeezed in a workout before schooling my horse. "Isn't Mateuss enough of a workout?" My response was "he's a great leg workout but not a great workout to reduce body fat." She huffed and walked away. My riding friends think you ride to get fit when in actuality you need to be fit in order to be a good rider. And they all get mad when I tell them not to waste money on the latest pill or fad diet but to get more active and eat a little less. Hey, they asked.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When my mother was alive, she used to comment constantly that I was becoming anorexic. She meant well. She didn't want to see me sick, and she came from a generation where fat = healthy. She was morbidly obese. I am by no stretch of the imagination anorexic. I have always been a healthy weight. I merely feel better weighing slightly less than I do now. (I lost the weight and kept it off until I got pregnant. My baby is a year old now, and I'm trying to lose the last 10 pounds.)

I also get annoyed when people suggest I won't lose the weight because I had a baby. Yes, it can be more challenging after birth and past 35, but it's by no means impossible.