Paleo?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

I've read a little on the topic, but don't mind me.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat about an 80% paleo diet, and have been for a bit over a month. I like it. It's fun.

It has completely made my mornings much better, I've lost weight, and my symptoms of gallstones have almost completely disappeared. I haven't had a single gallbladder attack since I switched over to paleo.

I enjoy making the effort to eat whole foods, I like eating meat, I am not a big fan of dairy, and I never really got carb flu, so I like it.
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There is no way that ONE WAY TO EAT is right for every single person.

To the OP, I'd say read up on the topic, try to be objective, ask for advice from those who do it, try weed out the BS ... For example, I know plenty of people who swear up and down that they are TOTALLY 100% PALEO ... but enjoy a beer or two ;) ... not totally paleo.

I like some paleo recipes and don't feel the need to "go paleo" but I do mess around with macros and a lot of protein in the healthiest forms I can find, in accordance with my lifestyle. It's the same reason I've no desire to go gluten-free...

I think the only way to know if it works for you is to try it. And don't believe anyone who says it's the only way, because they aren't you.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Over the past 2 years, I have tried both CrossFit "diets"- Zone and Paleo. With that being said:

Pros:

- Felt healthier, also my face stopped breaking out with acne)
    - Bacon
    - No measuring food
    - Lost about 12 inches in 8 weeks
    - Slept better

Cons-

- Expensive start up grocery costs (nuts, nut butter, palm oil, coconut oil)
    - Restrictive- hard to eat out
    - No dairy
    - super low energy

I also ate the Zone diet for 8 weeks- I liked the Zone, but the measuring got old fast. It did help though when I started Paleo- I was more mindful of portion sizes and didn't sit down and eat a jar of almonds in one sitting.

Eating these two "CrossFit" diets, really helped me to look at food differently and made me more mindful of what I was putting in my body and I started reading labels more. I was shocked at some of the things I was putting in my body. Even if you don't decide to stick with Paleo, I feel like it never hurts to try. You might really love it. For me, it was a good learning experience and I had some very good take aways from it. With that being said- currently, I eat Paleo Primal. I can tolerate gluten- but I notice that eating too much of it makes me sick and really takes a toll on my energy levels. I love my dairy though- cheeses, yogurts, YUM. I also didn't really cut out legumes or corn.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Question: On their site is posted 'The Paleo Diet, the world’s healthiest diet, is based upon the fundamental concept that the optimal diet is the one to which we are genetically adapted'. (http://thepaleodiet.com/about-the-paleo-diet/)
    Does it mean that as an European I shouldn't eat the delicious things imported from other continets?

The real question is 'can I eat tomatoes or they are bad for me since they were introduced in our diet only 'recently'?

This is important. I love tomatoes (and coffee).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    humans are highly adaptable. eat tomatoes and drink coffee. and as a European you're genetically adapted to eat dairy, so no need to cut that out of your diet. Evolution didn't stop when we evolved vertical foreheads and chins. Also, your ancestors from just 40,000 years ago came from Africa. they interbred with neanderthals who'd (+ their ancestors) lived in Europe for some 600,000 years or even a million years, but most of your genes, i.e. 96-99% of them come from people who left Africa only around 40,000 years ago.

okay I don't eat paleo, but I've studied palaeoanthropology. IMO take home message from palaeoanthropology should be 1. get plenty of exercise because humans didn't evolve to be sedentary. 2. eat a good post-workout meal because exercise = food acquisition and eating after exercise = successful at hunting = your body investing resources into maintaining the muscles you used when exercising ("hunting"). 3. humans are very highly adaptable so can eat a huge range of different foods, but if a food makes you feel ill don't eat it. 4. enjoy eating with other humans because we evolved to share food and eat socially.

also palaeolithic people ate wild grains and legumes in season. and farmed animals are very different from wild animals,

Beware of internet paleo gurus who have never studied palaeoanthropology in their lives.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Weird. Well, I know this calorie counting and exercising I've been doing works... So Paleo is definitely not the only way.

Exactly. We eat that way because it works for us and fits well in our lifestyle. We've weighed the pros and cons and found that, for our situation, the benefits are worth giving up a few foods we knew we shouldn't be eating that often anyway.

This is the only reason I've been thinking of trying it... Because the recipes I've tried are delicious, and I feel like I get more nutrition from those recipes than from my regular meals. I also think it may fit well in my lifestyle.
    There's nothing stopping you from incorporating paleo recipes into your diet. And a lot of people do paleo 80/20, meaning 20% of the time they eat foods on the "no-go list". Why not instead of restricting foods just to be on the diet, incorporate the foods that sound tasty into what you are already eating now?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat about an 80% paleo diet, and have been for a bit over a month. I like it. It's fun.

It has completely made my mornings much better, I've lost weight, and my symptoms of gallstones have almost completely disappeared. I haven't had a single gallbladder attack since I switched over to paleo.

I enjoy making the effort to eat whole foods, I like eating meat, I am not a big fan of dairy, and I never really got carb flu, so I like it.
    Hm, that actually surprises me. I figured with all of the high fat foods people would be more likely to have gallbladder flares (if already having problems).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offense intended - shutupandlift.

No. That's not it.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    As long as I can still drink coffee, I'm in!...........Seriously though, I still eat dairy (I LOVE EGGS)and have cut almost all carbs out of diet. (The Occasional TUNA WRAP, Homemade). Mostly meat and veggies all the time. Is that PALEO?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.

I should think a vast quantity of the 7 billion don't have an option about what they eat, but that's another issue all together.

Personally I do not promote any health benefits of LCHF (in contrast to a moderate IIFYM diet with adequate protein) and I do not buy in to the whole ancestral side of paleo or primal - I eat LCHF because it's healthy and suits me.

What I do find ridiculous is people claiming the diet is unhealthy and having issues against it purely based on their own hang ups about what they feel able to eat or not eat - your diet your rules, my diet my rules, op's diet, op's rules.

I have yet to see one study to show that a LCHF diet either doesn't work or is unhealthy.

Plus if you've got a hang up about the diet because of the palaeoanthtopoloy Mis-interpretation, then that says more about you than anybody promoting the diet!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offense intended - shutupandlift.

No. That's not it.

I think it is and I think he's not the only one!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This isn't where you want to get facts about it. Go online and try and get details as unbiased as possible. This will not be easy as you will probably I've tried it. It was way to restrictive for me.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

No. That's not it.

Did you just call me a he?

ETA: I never said paleo, primal or LCHF are unhealthy or won't lead to results, I was just trying to state that they are unnecessary and that the post that I quoted was just talking in circles about anecdotal evidence and not to mention, the person who posted it has lots of "unapproved" foods in her food diary.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

No. That's not it.

ETA: I never said paleo, primal or LCHF are unhealthy or won't lead to results, I was just trying to state that they are unnecessary and that the post that I quoted was just talking in circles about anecdotal evidence and not to mention, the person who posted it has lots of "unapproved" foods in her food diary.

Lol - sorry typo!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've been a little afraid to post this because I heard it will start "forum flame wars," but I've just heard different things about it and I was wondering exactly what it is and why it may be good/bad for you. What are the pros/cons? Have any of you tried it?

Sorry in advance for any arguments this thread may cause....

I did paleo/primal for a little over 3 years... Looking back, IMO, I think it was unnecessarily restrictive.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

No. That's not it.

Lol - sorry typo!

Okay, but just to clear up were our opinions differ on the post that I commented 'this' which you changed to 'makes little to no sense'. Please can you clarify - specifically - which part of the post made no sense?