So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    USMCMP - you referenced this thread in another one earlier today and I had a read.

Thank you so much for posting this! I haven't started a strength training regimen yet because I don't have access to a gym and I don't have anywhere to set up a home gym. I'm going to buy one of the e-books for the bodyweight workouts which sound promising!

Thank you so much! Great post :drinker:
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great reading.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Great thread
  • SweetMaryAngel
    Options
    Bump! Super valuable info especially for a newbie like me :-)
  • beawych
    beawych Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hit the nail on the head!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding the most effective way of eating at a slight deficit for fat loss. The only fat loss I am looking for is in the abdomen region, as this seems to be the first and last place it goes on or reduces, so therefore I am also addressing the type of foods I am eating to see if it helps reduce stomach holding onto fat, i.e. no or hardly any gluten, etc.
    If I eat at a 20% deficit of my TDEE - (which is 1980) - do I incorporate Carb cycling and eat only on a deficit on my non training days? Or do I eat at a deficit every day?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this (I'm glad I found it). I started strength training a few months ago and this was very helpful to me. I doubt I'll get that washboard stomach after birthing 3 very large babies but a smaller one would be nice :happy:
  • Neliel88
    Neliel88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A fantastic original post and really appreciate the insight! I will have a six pack one day dammit!
  • rachelguy
    rachelguy Posts: 24
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • NikiandZak
    NikiandZak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump !! Thank you I needed this :)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Vote to sticky this
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding the most effective way of eating at a slight deficit for fat loss. The only fat loss I am looking for is in the abdomen region, as this seems to be the first and last place it goes on or reduces, so therefore I am also addressing the type of foods I am eating to see if it helps reduce stomach holding onto fat, i.e. no or hardly any gluten, etc.
    If I eat at a 20% deficit of my TDEE - (which is 1980) - do I incorporate Carb cycling and eat only on a deficit on my non training days? Or do I eat at a deficit every day?

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you eat at a calorie deficit every other day your fat loss will be slower. If your deficit is 300 calories a day that would be 2100 for the week and if you ate at a deficit every other day that would be about half of that.

You can't pick where fat comes off. As I said at the bottom of my original post, "Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet." Eliminating certain foods can reduce bloating or water retention and make you appear slimmer, but you can't target belly fat with specific foods.
  • Stacy_Merrell
    Stacy_Merrell Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • slimlinepic
    Options
    bumpity bump... thank you for all the super advice... :smile:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for the advice
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

I'll be showing this to my wife. I'm sure she thinks I'm trying to sabotage her diet when I tell her she should eat more

"I'm trying to lose weight, why on earth would I eat MORE???"

TDEE - 20%

That's about 1700 calories - sounds good
  • stacked
    stacked Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump